1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Furniture Projects - Refurbishing, Refinishing, Retasking, and Building

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by ImTheGroom, Nov 4, 2013.

1. ImTheGroom

ImTheGroom Well-Known Member

I did a search, and didn't find another thread like this. I've been slowly getting into the world of refurbishing furniture for my own use. Aside from some stripping/refinishing projects, I also turned an old deck chair into a TV stand for my wife, back when we were dating and living apart. I just searched for my in-project photos of them, but couldn't find them. :s I have some thoughts I have been rolling around in my head for some stuff to build from scratch, as well, which will be a totally new adventure. I can't be the only one who does this. I'd love to see everyone else's projects!

2. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Well-Known Member

Some of my stuff is in the cool furniture thread. I build from scratch.

Not sure if I ever posted this one, I built the humidor and the desk under it.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 4, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  3. ImTheGroom

Are the edges painted/stained, on the humidor, or is that just an effect of the light? Looks like it's made of walnut or cherry?

4. SkinnyGoomba

The edges are gaboon ebony, the panels are Macassar ebony and the finish is lacquer, hand buffed.

5. ImTheGroom

So, build a frame from the edge pieces, and rout them so you can inset the side panels, then sand the edges round?

6. SkinnyGoomba

Not really. the box is made of solid wood panels joined together to form the rough shape. A groove is routed into the top and bottom for plywood panels which are inserted in and glued. They stand proud 1/4 of the sides. Veneer is applied to all outside panels. Grooves are cut into all outside edges and then the outside wooden edges are fitted and glued in. The edges are cut flush to the veneer, the veneer is sanded then a round over is cut into the edges with a router. It is then finish sanded to 320 grit.

The box is cut into two on a table saw, hinges are fitted and a relief is cut into the back so that it can open with flush hinges. It is then finished with lacquer and buffed (50-75 coats believe it or not). The liner and humidification device is fitted into the box aand finally leather is applied to the bottom.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2013
  7. SkinnyGoomba

Found a couple pictures of the process. I rarely catalog the steps of anything I build, so the pictures are not step by step.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. SkinnyGoomba

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I decided not to use the mechanical gauge as part of a permanent installation.

9. ImTheGroom

What's the advantage to using ply, rather than solid? Cost, strength, both? Easier to work with?

10. SkinnyGoomba

Expansion and contraction happens across the grain in wood. So I use Baltic birch (hardwood furniture grade) plywood in many scenarios where I want an exact fit that would otherwise be impossible with solid wood.

MDF is a another consideration, but in this case the internal humidity that the box will be subject to would be detrimental to a sheet of mdf.

11. ImTheGroom

Can anyone point me to a primer on pros and cons of different materials?

12. Medwed

Medwed Well-Known Member

Boston->NYC->Helsinki->St.-Petersburg->Budapest->A

Fantastic. How many weeks it took to polish them? Do you apply with the a spray-gun or by hand? If by hand do you use sponge or brush? Do you sand in between and what type of lacquer do you use? I am asking because I restore antiques on occasion and always looking for know how from experts.

Was this order or do you smoke so much?:)

13. SkinnyGoomba

A friend of mine did the lacquering on these, since I don't have the equipment for it. It's about 50 coats of nitrocellulose lacquer applied by spray gun. He polished it after all of the grain was closed and down to something like 10,000 or 20,000 grit.

There are actually six total, Two became humidors (for me), one is a valet box, the rosewood one is my wife's jewellery box and the last two are a valet box that was an order and last one will be a gift for Mother's Day this year.

14. Medwed

Medwed Well-Known Member

Boston->NYC->Helsinki->St.-Petersburg->Budapest->A
    I did not know such small grit exists 10,000? Anyway these are gorgeous and took a lot of time and effort to make them look the way they are.

P.S. For my 2 cents I highly rec. Cigar Oasis for humidification (had mine for a few years now, bulletproof product) and a few online merchants for Cuban cigars.:)

15. ImTheGroom

Neither did I! I'm planning to tackle some bedroom furniture next, and that's the kind of high gloss finish I want. I'm going to do a lot of research on this before getting started; my goal is to make something we will have for 30+ years, if all goes well. I've found an excellent, inexpensive supplier for raw wood, and he will rip, plane, and join it for a reasonable labour charge.

16. SkinnyGoomba

Thanks Medwed! The current one is elie bleu, I'm happy with it, works really well.

They can actually go well beyond 10k in paste polishes.

I wouldn't put this kind of finish on a bed, that would be hellish to do. Better with an oil finish.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2013
  17. ImTheGroom

I'm planning to do a full suite over the next couple of years. Bed first, then, since we are limited on space, a slim cubby-type unit with sliding doors so it can easily fit on the wall beside the bed - drawers or swinging doors would make it a real pain in the neck.

18. SkinnyGoomba

What do you have in the way of tools?

19. ImTheGroom

Pretty simple - well, mostly I use my dad's work shop - but a table saw, router, then the basics (drills, screwdrivers, hammers, whatnot).

20. SkinnyGoomba

That's a good start, to make a bed you'll need all the tools for making mortise and tenons as well. The bed I made can be disassembled but the next one will certainly have a two piece platform (basically two small beds that can attach together) and a wall hung headboard since practically all beds are against a wall anyways.