1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

FRIDAY CHALLENGE 08/09/13; The unusually colored shirt

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by RDiaz, Aug 6, 2013.

The unusually colored shirt: Who pulled it off better?

Poll closed Aug 12, 2013.
  1. Sugarbutch

5 vote(s)
    4.2%
  2. An Acute Style

13 vote(s)
    10.9%
  3. EliodA

8 vote(s)
    6.7%
  4. RDiaz

4 vote(s)
    3.4%
  5. CousinDonuts

7 vote(s)
    5.9%
  6. Claghorn

28 vote(s)
    23.5%
  7. Holdfast

6 vote(s)
    5.0%
  8. upr_crust

2 vote(s)
    1.7%
  9. bourbonbasted

18 vote(s)
    15.1%
  10. GMMcL

3 vote(s)
    2.5%
  11. JPHardy

22 vote(s)
    18.5%
  12. in stitches

24 vote(s)
    20.2%
  13. Thin White Duke

2 vote(s)
    1.7%
  14. Mr. Claymore

4 vote(s)
    3.4%
  15. coldsalmon

2 vote(s)
    1.7%
  16. Tirailleur1

41 vote(s)
    34.5%
  17. PTWilliams

3 vote(s)
    2.5%
  18. clapeyron

28 vote(s)
    23.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. JPHardy

JPHardy Well-Known Member

C,

you didn't find my fit harmonious?

JP

2. in stitches

in stitches Well-Known Member

i think its the best way.
    --
    Cantabrigian - what about my shirt seemed like an afterthought, and it what was was it not harmonious/coherent with teh rest of my fit. wait, dont answer that, i dont care because im not going to agree with whatever you say. : )
    ---

i have a strong feeling Ts sudden surge was due to clapeys x-posting a link to the voting in SWD. id bet on it.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2013
  3. mrjester

mrjester Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

4. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Well-Known Member

I can speak only for myself, but I didn't find my shirt to be that bold, especially in the context of an otherwise sober combination. Essentially, I replaced a solid, light-blue shirt with a solid, light-green shirt. Unconventional, maybe, but hardly bold.

1 person likes this.
  5. bourbonbasted

bourbonbasted Well-Known Member

Bold may perhaps be the wrong word. The majority of the shirts were not especially jarring. They were, however, (to my thinking) out of place. I think it has a lot to do with individual taste. A good bit of the looks just seemed somewhat forced. Really I shouldn't have even commented as I have no direct criticism or constructive input. However, it just seems that many submissions were one element shy of being quite nice, and that element was generally the shirt.

For the record I'm not sold that my submission was all that great. But I also don't think I tried to make the shirt something it wasn't which, however subtly, seemed to be the case with the majority of the submissions. A light blue shirt is far too versatile to be swapped with another color (no matter how sedate) and expect the same result. Just my $0.02.

6. Cantabrigian

Cantabrigian Well-Known Member

I agree with the first part of the first sentence but not the second part and I think that makes all the difference.

A pale green shirt doesn't inherently or in the abstract draw attention to itself. If Titsworth ever resurfaces I'm sure he could come up with a color vector which would show that an unsaturated green is well within the unremarkable zone.

But when you put it with a medium scale grey glen plaid + blue overcheck, it's becomes something between unexpected and jarring. You expect to see a suit like that with a blue shirt. The combo makes so much sense and is so common - to the extent you see glen plaid - that anything else (except maybe a white shirt) stands out.

Here's a couple quickly Googled examples of what I think of as the classic
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

vs

[​IMG]

As Tira showed, you can do a green shirt w/ grey glen plaid (I don't love the combo but have to admit it works)
    [​IMG]

But he did a couple things differently - the glen plaid is smaller in scale and the suit overall looks lighter, crispier and more summery. The blue tie accentuates the fact that it's a spring / summer outfit.

Your suit seems more autumn-y due to the scale of the pattern, the slightly darker color and the fact that it's worn with a brown tie. Everything else is earth toned and lite green makes a lousy earthtone. Though it makes a good pastel.

If you want to shake it up, I think Guido pushed it about as far as you can go and incidentally he's wearing something very similar to what you did--
    [​IMG]
    I think the striped shirt looks fine. (Don't love the square in that outfit but who cares?)

Clapey avoided the pastel - brown tie prob by going with a more tan / olivey sort of green to go with the tie and a more neutral blue jacket--
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 12, 2013
  7. Cantabrigian

Cantabrigian Well-Known Member

Since I'm not creative enough to wear an unusual color shirt, here are IMO a couple good examples--

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

When I first graduated college, I ordered some truly gawdawful shirts from CEGO. Think peach pinpoint, very bright raspberry striped, supersized pink and blue check. I had my eye on a medium blue - orange gingham but (happily) never got around to ordering it. Life got a lot better when I learned to stop worrying and love the blue, white and blue & white. I know that's not what this threak is about but can I get an amen?

8. mrjester

I don't get what's so unusual about a burgundy or red bengal stripe. I have one on the way, a remake, and I think it's a great shirt. Fabric below:

[​IMG]

It seems like every other Friday, there's one piece of clothing that would qualify me for the challenge that is out getting tailored, made, or remade.

9. JPHardy

JPHardy Well-Known Member

I specially like this one
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  10. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Well-Known Member

Canta, I know you have only the pictures to go by, but I don't think there's a lot difference in the scale of my suit and Tira's. Also, my suit doesn't have a blue overcheck. When you get down to it, it seems you would just prefer a navy tie to a brown one, and that's fine.

Finally, I wasn't trying to assert that my combo was classic, merely that it was attractive. :)

11. in stitches

in stitches Well-Known Member

canta - that red stripe pic you posted, damn that looks cool.

SB - you are very attractive.

1 person likes this.
  12. Claghorn

Claghorn Well-Known Member

Ah. I was wondering. He gained 14 or so in the period of two hours. Makes sense now (not that his fit isn't deserving, but the speed at which he gained votes was astounding).

13. clapeyron

clapeyron Well-Known Member

Looks like they couldn't decide between Clags and Claps...

Last edited: Aug 13, 2013
  14. Claghorn

I'd love the custom title of "Not Clapeyron" provided you get "Not Claghorn"

And now that the poll is closed, I don't mind saying: I feel Claps' fit was superior to mine. He did a good job of avoiding a jarring effect, whereas I had no choice but to try and get away with embracing mine (hence the louder than usual pocket square).

15. clapeyron

I don't think my body is ready yet for the things you need to perform for a custom title.

1 person likes this.
  16. upr_crust

upr_crust Well-Known Member

Nonsense. As they used to advise young ladies in the movies, when confronted with such tasks, "Just close your eyes and think of England (or, in your case, Germany - I leave it to your discretion whether you think of Brandenburg, Bavaria, or Baden-Wurttemburg)".

17. clapeyron

1 person likes this.
  18. upr_crust

upr_crust Well-Known Member

I believe that you've answered your own question. As it was, I was merely citing alliterative examples - I would never limit your imagination. By the way, was that Upper Sexony, or Lower Sexony?

1 person likes this.
  19. Claghorn

I believe it is Versexony

1 person likes this.
  20. mrjester

Anyone know if T is working on a challenge at all?