• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

flat front, too tight waist. am i too big or too picky?

privileged

Reaction score
I'm 35 and I love beer. I can generally pass for skinny, I think because of my arms and face, but I know I have a bit of a gut.

I prefer flat front pants but don't really care; I just want to be comfortable and look as good as I can.

When I found a suit (jacket) that fit me at Men's Wearhouse, the pants were always too tight, even after they took them out! They were saying I felt that way because I don't wear suits often, and it's true, I don't. They were also saying I shouldn't really go up a size because it's just too big, and the pants would have too much extra material.

I was hoping to find something that would be really comfortable, almost like jeans, not tight at all. I was hoping after buying a new fairly pricey suit it would not be something where I come home, take it off, and feel like "ahhhh," which would definitely be the case with what I found.

The pants were not outrageously tight, just not as truly comfortable as I'd hoped.

So my question is, it is normal to feel somewhat constrained in a suit? Or should I be shopping elsewhere? Or should I be wearing pleats instead?

Any help greatly appreciated!

NewYorkBuck

Reaction score
I have found flat fronts to be far to restricting and uncomfortable in any of my tailored pants, and I am in reasonably good shape for a 40ish year old. Just dont understand why a man would do that to himself.....

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by privileged
So my question is, it is normal to feel somewhat constrained in a suit? Or should I be shopping elsewhere? Or should I be wearing pleats instead?

Pleats won't make the waist fit any differently.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm 35 and I love beer. I can generally pass for skinny.
Any help greatly appreciated!

27.jpg

Jenny Craig in your future I see, if stop this love for beer you don't.

Reevolving

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You want to look good? You'll need to sacrifice some comfort.
Otherwise, wear sneakers and sweatpants.
Anyone who says otherwise is full of ****.
One of the biggest lies on SF is this crap about this clothing feeling oh so comfortable.

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Reevolving
You want to look good? You'll need to sacrifice some comfort.
Otherwise, wear sneakers and sweatpants.
Anyone who says otherwise is full of ****.
One of the biggest lies on SF is this crap about this clothing feeling oh so comfortable.

What?

Reaction score
I prefer flat front pants but don't really care; I just want to be comfortable and look as good as I can.

If you "don't really care" you could get pleated pants a little bit larger than your waist size and use braces instead of a belt. With braces your trousers are supposed to drape a bit; this might give you the comfort you're looking for. Now, etiquette claims you're not supposed to take your jacket off, but even if you do a nice pair of braces can look rather sharp (and slimming, if that gut is an issue).

Chico2007

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SpooPoker
Best first 6 words for a first post evar.
+1
To the OP...I have/had similar issues...switch to scotch neat or vodka clubs. Try to cut out some small things in your diet (mayo, cheese, big portions or bread, processed crap food). If you can't fit into a 6 or 7 drop even when they take the pants out, then you have to be honest with yourself and admit you've got a good size gut going on.

privileged

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sanguis Mortuum
Pleats won't make the waist fit any differently.

Thanks for the (semi?) sincere response! This occurred to me. So really then, what options do I have left?

I mean... buy a too tight suit and start exercising?

I find it hard to believe I am bigger than the average American, so this implies nearly every single guy in a suit is uncomfortable all day long?

LanceW

Reaction score
Buttons for braces. They'll take up an extra 0.5" in the waist but then you can have a looser waist and wear pants higher on your waist for extra comfort. Pleats help too. My one pair of jeans are the least comfortable pants I own.

viator

Reaction score
I find it hard to believe I am bigger than the average American, so this implies nearly every single guy in a suit is uncomfortable all day long?
Think about this (assuming the pants actually do fit correctly): if you took someone who grew up on a desert island and put him in a pair of shoes, he would probably say they were uncomfortable. It's about what you're used to.

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You should feel your pants. Wearing a suit isn't like wearing sweatpants. When you're working you'll forget about it anyway. Just go for it. Oh wait, you know, Men's Wearhouse is a no-go here, right?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads