• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

flat front, too tight waist. am i too big or too picky?

landshark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Reevolving
You want to look good? You'll need to sacrifice some comfort.
Otherwise, wear sneakers and sweatpants.
Anyone who says otherwise is full of ****.
One of the biggest lies on SF is this crap about this clothing feeling oh so comfortable.

Another premium reply by Reevolving. I hate to break it to you, but there is no big lie. You have obviously demonstrated that you just don't get it. Being comfortable is one of the best parts about tailored clothing.

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The self-delusion is staggering.

smile.gif

Reevolving

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yea, exactly. Can you read? He says it's not comfortable.
At least someone here told him the truth, instead of feeding him typical SF bullshit like "slim fit is as comfortable as a bath robe."
You'll need to sacrifice some comfort.

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
So one guy with some weak seamed Mabis determines that all of MC spends the day doing the double hoist pullup on their pants and mending popped shirt buttons?

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
While this back and forth is entertaining. I find that a well fitting suit, pleats or not will feel like a dream. No you cant play football in it or go for a jog. But while youre wearing it you shouldn't even notice it. Anyone who says otherwise is either very fidgety (which I am) of hasnt had the good fortune to have a suit that fits right, and claiming that everyone else who denies it is a liar just makes them feel better. Maybe they just aught to have a beer and not worry so much.
smile.gif

Archivist

Reaction score
The pants do not fit. It's not you, it's the suit. Suit pants have a drop, typically 6, which means the pant waist is 6 inches less than the stated chest measure. So a 42 suit would have pants with a 36 inch waist. If the pants are cut slimmer (that's as often done to skimp on material as is is to be stylish), with a short rise, they can be uncomfortable even if they are let out to match your actual waist measurement.

Men's Warehouse is not the greatest place to go suit shopping. Their suggestion that you should size up so the pants will be looser is pretty poor. You do not want an over sized poorly fitting jacket just to get some pants you can wear. You should check out other places, say Jos. Bank (not great, but definitely better than MW), Brooks Brothers on sale.

You might look at suit separates, where you buy the jacket and pants (same material) separately. Fit your hips and thighs, and have the waist adjusted. Also, some models of suit are cut for larger builds. Suits that fit well are comfortable. If they are not comfortable, they don't fit and they won't look good. Ignore anyone suggesting differently.

What sort of budget do you have? If you are willing to spend more, you can look into having the clothes made. You may be able to find decent MTM for a "reasonable" price.

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by privileged

I was hoping to find something that would be really comfortable, almost like jeans, not tight at all. !

The problem likely starts here. Jeans are usually bought tight. But you're saying your dress pants are tighter then your jeans?

What's your chest and waist size? Measured not vanity .

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would do the good ol' switcharoo with the pants one size up on the next rack. That's what I do. Sales assistants usually don't give a damn.

privileged

Reaction score
Thanks a ton, great info there. It gets better than being 35 and loving beer; I'm also unemployed, and this suit is basically just for job interviews. So budget -- as little as I can get away with. On the other hand if I'm dropping $300 for a lousy suit or $500 for a sweet one, I'd go sweet. That's what annoyed me about MW, the suit was $600. I thought it looked great but I didn't want to spend that much on something I wasn't sure about. Went for a jog today... Will check out Jos. Bank. Oh to be fair to MW, they didn't advise sizing up. I asked about it and they advised against it.
Originally Posted by Archivist
The pants do not fit. It's not you, it's the suit. Suit pants have a drop, typically 6, which means the pant waist is 6 inches less than the stated chest measure. So a 42 suit would have pants with a 36 inch waist. If the pants are cut slimmer (that's as often done to skimp on material as is is to be stylish), with a short rise, they can be uncomfortable even if they are let out to match your actual waist measurement. Men's Warehouse is not the greatest place to go suit shopping. Their suggestion that you should size up so the pants will be looser is pretty poor. You do not want an over sized poorly fitting jacket just to get some pants you can wear. You should check out other places, say Jos. Bank (not great, but definitely better than MW), Brooks Brothers on sale. You might look at suit separates, where you buy the jacket and pants (same material) separately. Fit your hips and thighs, and have the waist adjusted. Also, some models of suit are cut for larger builds. Suits that fit well are comfortable. If they are not comfortable, they don't fit and they won't look good. Ignore anyone suggesting differently. What sort of budget do you have? If you are willing to spend more, you can look into having the clothes made. You may be able to find decent MTM for a "reasonable" price.

privileged

Reaction score
By way of comparison, here is one of my thrift store suits. This fits almost exactly like the MW one, and as far as I'm concerned looks about as good. (Realize it needs pressing in the pocket area.)

body.jpg

Here is me holding the camera upside down to demonstrate waist open and comfortable --

open.jpg

and the MW solution, wear tight (essentially w/ gut sucked in) --

closed.jpg

Again, this is not the MW suit, but an old one that fits about the same.

nohio

Reaction score
I supposed it depends on what field you are in, but can you just wear a navy blazer and wool pants for interviews? More versatile than a suit and you can size each piece differently. Otherwise, suit separates. I think Brooks Brothers has some. When I was interviewing I got suit separates at Macy's. Total was around $400 (on sale) and while it isn't the most amazing garment in terms of quality, it fits great, which is probably the first thing that most people notice anyway. Get your job and save up for some decent made-to-measure.

Any stay out of MW.

ndw

Reaction score
Originally Posted by in stitches
While this back and forth is entertaining. I find that a well fitting suit, pleats or not will feel like a dream. No you cant play football in it or go for a jog. But while youre wearing it you shouldn't even notice it. Anyone who says otherwise is either very fidgety (which I am) of hasnt had the good fortune to have a suit that fits right, and claiming that everyone else who denies it is a liar just makes them feel better. Maybe they just aught to have a beer and not worry so much.
smile.gif

^ I wish I could find the picture from a ways back of VOx running on the track in his dress clothes. YOu would laugh/

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ndw
^ I wish I could find the picture from a ways back of VOx running on the track in his dress clothes. YOu would laugh/

i imagine i would, that would be fun to see.

NewYorkBuck

Reaction score
You want to look good? You'll need to sacrifice some comfort.
Otherwise, wear sneakers and sweatpants.
Anyone who says otherwise is full of ****.
One of the biggest lies on SF is this crap about this clothing feeling oh so comfortable.

Not sure what you're driving at here. If your point is that well fitting tailored clothing cannot be as comfortable as pajamas, well I guess I agree with you. If your point is that well fitted tailored clothing cannot be at least as comfortable as just about anything else that is acceptable in public, then I say you may need another tailor.....
smile.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads