1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Finding inexpensive seven-folds

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by brescd01, Aug 14, 2004.

1. brescd01

brescd01 Well-Known Member

I realize I have very few ties to go with my great new clothes: does anyone know where I can find inexpensive seven fold ties? I know about Carlo Franco, but I wondered where I can also pick up Kiton and Luciano Barbera ties, which seem very attractive to me.

2. tdial

tdial Well-Known Member

You can buy the Kiton 7-folds as Neiman's for 200 bucks. Oh, you said inexpensive Kiton or Barbera. I guess Ebay's probably a good bet for the Kitons. Don't know about the Barbera ties. During the NM sales, the Kiton 7-folds can be had for ~100-120. But I really haven't seen them for too much less than that.

3. banksmiranda

banksmiranda Well-Known Member

I've seen quite a few Kiton ties on Ebay in the past for no more than $89.99

4. marc37

marc37 Well-Known Member

Hey doc, l was just wondering; do you wear a tie [and be-spoke suit to work], or do you wear your old suits without a tie.

What do the admin workers and your wife think of your new makeover?

Regards: shooman.

5. kiton

kiton Member

maybe you should trie tiedeals or carlo franco

6. brescd01

brescd01 Well-Known Member

I have been forgoing ties, but I realize, like my habits before, this is due to a poor tie collection (only 4).

7. Sinbad

Sinbad Member

Hi all.
    I´m new to this interesting forum but nontheless I hope I can offer my modest opinion.
    I´ve spent the first 30 years of my life in Italy and I can tell that Kiton is not recognized as the best ties maker of Italy. A brand you may want to try is Marinella from Naples. My 2 cents

8. FIHTies

FIHTies Well-Known Member

Strangely enough for a tie maker in Italy, Marinella uses English silks, and in my opinion they are a bit on the too classic side for me.

I will leave construction discussions for others as I am biased.

JJF

9. kiton

kiton Member

wait till the sale. Marinella is really great or try Battistoni, Drakes, Turnbull & Asser, Charvet, Brioni. Remember, a seven fold will never become really cheap. One of cheapest and best: veldhuijzenvanzanten.nl

10. jcusey

jcusey Well-Known Member

You'll see seven-folds from Kiton, Borrelli, and others frequently on eBay for reasonable prices. Kiton seven-folds do get marked down during Neiman Marcus sales; most of the time, they won't make it to the Last Call sale, but they do sometimes: I picked up a navy shepherd's check Kiton seven-fold tie at a Last Call sale for $70 or $80 a couple of years ago.

There's also Carlo Franco and FIHTies. I've never tried FIHTies's seven-folds, so I can't comment on the quality. I have tried the Carlo Franco ties, and I can tell you that they're very good.

11. FIHTies

Well then...What the %^*$% are ya waitin for? [​IMG]

12. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member

Kiton, Barbera and Borrelli ties from Louis, Richards and Mitchells are on sale at Filene's Basement for a pittance right now. Too bad that I need ties not at all... and am broke.

13. rayk

rayk Well-Known Member

I've added numerous NWT Talbott 7-fold ties to my collection over the past year by doing occasional Ebay searches. Â Retail for these ties is about $195, but I've paid on average $100 by the above method. Â While the patterns of these ties are a bit much for some, they are IMO the standard of excellence in 7-fold ties. Â This example is for a previously owned tie, but it will give you an example. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws....me=WDVW Unless label recognition is very important to you...and I can't imagine why is would be...don't overlook Carlo Franco ties. Â While I've purchased only a few, they are among my favorites. Â They are of quality silk, well constructed, and marvelously attractive. Â And Chuck's prices are simply unbeatable.

14. rws

rws Active Member

This sounds appealling.  Has Marinelli a website?

15. Thracozaag

Thracozaag Well-Known Member

The Talbott's never appealed to me, but they are very well made. koji

16. FIHTies

(FIHTies @ 15 Aug. 2004, 08:35) . . . Marinella uses English silks, and . . . are a bit on the too classic side . . . .
    This sounds appealling. Â Has Marinelli a website?
    http://www.marinellanapoli.it/eng/index.asp Not a whole lot there but some info. Domenico Vacca should have them though I dont know for sure. JJF

17. hermes

hermes Well-Known Member

i must have some dumb luck
    i've picked up kiton 7 folds at nm last call for as little as $14.00

18. rayk

rayk Well-Known Member

I couldn't agree more that many of the Talbott 7-fold ties are unappealing, and of a pattern just too busy. Â I have, regrettably, bought several which have been relegated to the back of my closet. Â However, I've found a couple (displayed below) that I've become very attached to, and which I think look really terrific, if not worn in a "formal" setting. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

19. AlanC

AlanC Well-Known Member

Seems like I read somewhere that Marinella's RTW ties are actually made in England, with their bespoke ties made on the premises. Can anyone confirm or deny?

20. FIHTies

From the info book that the supplier gave me (similar to the Attolini book I posted a few weeks back) the indications are that they are made in Italy. Indeed the supplier himself indicated as as well save that the fabrics are English silks. Also when I spoke with one of my tie makers he indicated that MArinella were made in Naples. AC. You still owe me something [​IMG] JJF