• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fake or Real (Authentic, Genuine, etc.) -- Official Authentication Thread

prada g

Reaction score
Authenticity Check Prada on Mens Shoes
Hello everyone :)

this is my first post & i look forward to doing my part to contribute to the forum in the future. In the mean time, I have a question.

I would like for someone to confirm if the below shoes are real or fake. I recently purchased these 2 pair on ebay & I have my suspicions (& think both could be fake), but i would like anyone that is a prada aficionado to weigh in.

& the second pair

thanks in advance to anyone that can assist.

Cheers!

Jon

Last edited:

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hello everyone :)

this is my first post & i look forward to doing my part to contribute to the forum in the future.  In the mean time, I have a question.  

I would like for someone to confirm if the below shoes are real or fake.  I recently purchased these 2 pair on ebay & I have my suspicions (& think both could be fake), but i would like anyone that is a prada aficionado to weigh in.

& the second pair

thanks in advance to anyone that can assist.

Cheers!

Jon

Think it can be very difficult to tell real from fake with sneakers. Because so often the Chinese sweat-shops that make them for Prada, are also making the fakes and selling them on Ebay. The real difference is the price you're paying for them.

BTW these are sneakers not shoes.

Last edited:

prada g

Reaction score
thanks for the heads up MikeDT :)

anyone else have any input about these 2 pair of sneakers? I am almost positive that the maroon suede pair are not real. One thing that raises flags is the fading of the sneaker backs. This only happens when there is paint or cheap dye used. I have seen something similar on another pair that has crossed my path. The white pair has me scratching my head. They look decent, but i would prefer not to own anything that is not authentic. I used to work for an Intellectual Property Law Firm (we litigated numerous brand "misrepresentations")and the last thing i want to do is support the market of fake goods by purchasing or owning them.

thanks to all in advance for your assistance :)

cheers!

Jon

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

thanks for the heads up MikeDT :)

anyone else have any input about these 2 pair of sneakers?  I am almost positive that the maroon suede pair are not real.  One thing that raises flags is the fading of the sneaker backs.  This only happens when there is paint or cheap dye used.  I have seen something similar on another pair that has crossed my path.  The white pair has me scratching my head.  They look decent, but i would prefer not to own anything that is not authentic.  I used to work for an Intellectual Property Law Firm (we litigated numerous brand "misrepresentations")and the last thing i want to do is support the market of fake goods by purchasing or owning them.

thanks to all in advance for your assistance :)

cheers!

Jon

Jon, I think you might have answered your own questions there, given that they came from Ebay and not a Prada boutique or an authorised Prada concession.

From the book: The Economics of Counterfeit Trade: Governments, Consumers, Pirates and Intellectual Property Rights
"Factories in the Philippines or China that produce licensed manufactured goods may run unauthorized second shifts with shoddy components i.e. The Asian factory that makes sneakers under contract to Prada, is also making the knock-offs.

You might want to read it, seen as you used to work for an IP law firm.
http://www.amazon.com/Economics-Counterfeit-Trade-Governments-Intellectual/dp/3540778349

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It looks like it's made from some kind of corduroy or velvety type material yet it has "Super 200's" on the label, with a possessive apostrophe. That doesn't seem quite right to me. I understand that Super numbers are for wool worsted type fabrics, and not cord or velvet.

Last edited:

Panda Monium

Reaction score

It looks like it's made from some kind of corduroy or velvety type material yet it has "Super 200's" on the label, with a possessive apostrophe. That doesn't seem quite right to me. I understand that Super numbers are for wool worsted type fabrics, and not cord or velvet.

Good point. I'm new to this, so I don't have experience with the high Super #'s. I did recently pick up a 15milmil15 jacket (which I've heard is roughly equivalent to Super 150 - Super 170) and this fabric doesn't look like it bears any resemblance to it, but I wasn't sure if I was missing anything.

Nice catch on the apostrophe, too. I'm still working on developing my eye.

prscustom

Reaction score

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

im sorry but what do you mean by that?

Street Wear & Denim.

The Ebay auction says it's ended. "Beendet". Are you the purchaser?

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Staff online

Forum statistics