• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fabric vs. designer

DPDNYC

Reaction score
I've seen a number of suits on ebay from a seller by the name of decalo_fashion that struck my fancy. The suits are made of Loro Piana and Zegna fabrics, but sold under the brandname Soprani Collection, with which I am not familiar. In terms of quality and value (and considering that I can't see the suits in person), is it better to go with good fabrics or a familiar designer?

shoefan

Reaction score
A familiar designer, though by that I mean a familiar manufacturer. The quality of the tailoring will have a greater long-term impact on the fit, appearance and durability of the garment. Also, the good quality producers use high quality fabrics.

Sellers such as this one trade on the Zegna/Loro Piana names, but the quality of the garment is likely to be mediocre at best.

Read this forums previous threads for ideas about various producers' quality.

HRHAndrew

Reaction score
Be very careful about suits being offered by their fabric name. I could buy some Zegna fabric and sew a suit together and arguably sell it as a Zegna. I would stay away from these as you do not know what quality you are getting, and they are most certainly fused. Also FYI tussuto simply means fabric. Many have tried to pass it off as the "top line." Sadly I learned this through some lost money. Hope to help you avoid the same.

Classic

Reaction score
With my appologies to DPDNYC, if I may added a twist to this and ask if all things are equal, that is to say the fabric and quality of the construction, how many us would choose a no name over a designer suit costing much more? How much is a "designer label" worth?

Classic

NavyStyles

Reaction score
DPDNYC,

I think quality would be a combination of the fabric and the desgner.  The more important of the two is the designer, as indicated by the others.

Classic,

Though I would be very tempted to own a designer suit, I feel certain I would go with the lower-costing garment.  After I found myself stopping outside of a doorway to pick up three pennies, I have no doubt I would seek to save money if I were guaranteed equal quality.

fareau

Reaction score
Considering that you are unable to handle the suit and appraise its construction, you have to err on the side of caution and stick with labels with which you are familiar and trust. It would be a crushing disappointment to spend any significant amount of money only to receive garbage.

On a slightly tangential note, I am constantly stunned at the number of sellers on ebay that try to pass off some suits as Zegnas simply because they use Zegna fabrics; it is so completely disingenuous. I suppose that the seller you mention should be credited for not trying to deceive buyers as to the origin of their suits, but they seem to be the exception. This unsavory practice is becoming all the more common on Ebay and is clearly designed to prey on less informed consumers. Thank God for forums such as this one.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads