• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Essential items for the twenty something year old

LTJazz

Reaction score
This is my first post. As a 20 something, there is one piece I received from my father I will always keep and use. It is a simple, minimalist, sterling silver money clip. I firmly believe a nice, understated money clip is something you'll hang on to for the rest of your life, even when you're moving through cars, homes, cameras, and the other nice things suggested on this list.

That being said, I wish I had a nice, cheap camera (such as the Pentax K-X.) Even now, I wish I had more pictures to look back on. This item, I suppose, is more about documenting your life experiences and good times.

henrikc

Reaction score
I agree with LTJazz, a small point-and-shoot is great for taking quick pictures. You don't have take 150 pictures at one party, but take a couple whenever you're travelling. Great to look back at!

Superfluous Man

Reaction score
Originally Posted by CTGuy
I'm 30.
It's never too late. I think quality headphones or IEM's and quality bedding (mattress, pillows, sheets and comforter) should also be on the list.

alan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by binge
Look at all the things people state they regret buying at 20 and buy all of them. Get it out of your system early, when you are young and your ability to do long-term financial damage is still minimal. Seriously. Imagine if you wait another 10-15 years and keep that pent-up desire for some really cheesy, cliched furnture...you'll blow at least 5k on some stupid modernist couch you'll quickly regret, rather than the $500 knock-off you can afford now. At 20, you'll buy a lot of **** you'll likely want to discard in some time. Don't sweat it too much...don't put yourself into some inescapable debt of course...but don't fret away nights over it. Buy the **** you want now, and then buy the **** you want later.

+1

A lot of the stuff that people say they regret, probably brought them a lot of happiness at the time.

Sure if youre 50 with 3 kids you may not care much about a fun car, but that doesnt make it wrong to get it when youre 20.

Like binge said dont go obsessing over stuff but if you can afford some fun go ahead. Theres more to life than just having a retirement fund.

bkk

Reaction score
"Up in the Air" revolved around a great theme: what is in your backpack? How many items do you own? What is your emotional baggage? If you had to move across the country right now, how difficult would it be? Could you pack a suitcase and be ready within 24 hours, or do you have to deal with a 24' U-Haul truck? What about a significant other who would have to find a job and thus is tying you down to a certain area?

I'm 29, I went down the road of settling down soon after college with buying a house and shortly after becoming married. Flash forward a few years later and I'm on my way to a divorce, had to sell the house, and realize that I need to move across the country for most of the jobs that would make me happy. If I had to list things that are necessary in my life right now, I would say:

-Nice laptop
-MP3 player with respectable headphones
-Guitar
-Quality shaving set
-Quality clothing that fits
-Quality cookware
-Quality queen-sized (or larger) bed.
-Bike
-Car if you're not able to take transit, bike, or walk to work

Just illustrating the life experiences of someone leaving his 20s and wishing he had done a few things differently.

TheD0n

Reaction score

One thing I could not live without is a valet to keep things organized. It's something that I use everyday when I get home and empty my pockets into. The valet pictured is much nicer than the one I have.

People keep mentioning 'quality headphones'. I own some $30 Sennheiser earbuds, which I like. Am I missing out on something or do my headphones constitute 'quality'?

longskate88

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The minimalist in me says live your life, and buy things once you find you need them. Going away for a few days on vacation but don't have luggage? If you can't borrow one, then maybe it's time to buy a quality piece. Anticipating every possible thing you might need though seems excessive.

I'll agree with good bed and bedding and favoring quality over quantity on the things you DO buy.

Superfluous Man

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheD0n

People keep mentioning 'quality headphones'. I own some $30 Sennheiser earbuds, which I like. Am I missing out on something or do my headphones constitute 'quality'?

Depends on how you listen to your music. I have friends who are perfectly content using the stock iPod earbuds. Comfort and sound quality mean a lot to me so I'm willing to pay for the "audiophile" quality earbuds as well as over the ear headphones. I like to hear each individual instrument and I want to hear the lows, mids and highs.

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Superfluous Man
Depends on how you listen to your music. I have friends who are perfectly content using the stock iPod earbuds. Comfort and sound quality mean a lot to me so I'm willing to pay for the "audiophile" quality earbuds as well as over the ear headphones. I like to hear each individual instrument and I want to hear the lows, mids and highs.
Once a person gets into audiophilia, they don't escape. It's simply worth it to hear great sound.

longskate88

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by merkur
Guys, which book are we talking about here? American Pyscho?
confused.gif

Chrome plated axe + Nail gun
bigstar[1].gif

Sherlockian

Reaction score
**** the whole earphones thing. Trace it back and you're listening to what, a CD? Recorded at 44.1 KHz in 16-Bit? Let me tell you this: once you've listened to your band being played back through the fatties in a proper recording studio's control room, any pre-recorded music sounds like tinny ****. I stick to $50 or less Sennheisers for home use...I consider myself an audiophile, but one who has cut through the BS of rapidly diminishing returns you get from audio/hi-fi equipment.

Sherlock

Reaction score
A breadmaker. Best $80 I ever spent.

Other than that I would recommend not buying too much **** until you get settled down or moving will be a pain. Also if you haven't started investing money for retirement I would start.

Superfluous Man

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sherlockian
**** the whole earphones thing. Trace it back and you're listening to what, a CD? Recorded at 44.1 KHz in 16-Bit? Let me tell you this: once you've listened to your band being played back through the fatties in a proper recording studio's control room, any pre-recorded music sounds like tinny ****. I stick to $50 or less Sennheisers for home use...I consider myself an audiophile, but one who has cut through the BS of rapidly diminishing returns you get from audio/hi-fi equipment.
I mean it's subjective and all but I've gone through everything from $5 no-name **** headphones to mid-range audiophile stuff and there is a very noticeable difference to me. Of course there is a limit to how much utility you gain from higher priced stuff. A $50 pair of Senns can be considered quality by some, a definite step up from those abortions that Apple sends with their products.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads