• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Engineered Garments SS12

oven1969

Reaction score
thanks. booke3c, any North American shops carry them? Duty\ Tax will be so much shipping from UK to Canada.

thanks!!

Drinkwaters

OG
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

I think it's historical. That's just what I like about EG. There are references everywhere and just done right. Lot of references to the twenties and thirties, the great area of menswear![/quote

There are many historical aspects to Menswear. If you follow costume over the ages, you will see an evolution of the coat post civil war, from a coat that was very long (Duster) with several buttons. As time went on, and at the advent of the automobile, we saw coats get shorter and fewer buttons.
Side vents were introduced, as the gentry wore their coats while riding their horses and the side vent was a function of accommodating the saddle.
Four and three button coats were a fashion of the beginning of the century and three button was the most popular. During the 20's and 30's we saw the vents go away during the Hollywood days and the introduction of the two button coat. During this time double breasted was also introduced, being that it's prior use was only seen as a military uniform. Over the past hundred years, the stance of the button placement has moved up and down the coat like womens skirt and dress hem lines. The 80's somewhat emulated the 30's with deep button stance and broad shoulders which conjured an exaggerated masculine silhouette. Presently we have the higher stance of the two button with smaller shoulder expression and more natural lines. This gives the jacket a longer skirt which shortens the torso hence giving the lean proportions that is currently the fashion. The three button jacket however remains true to is original design with all the influences of its Anglo features, however I'm not a fan of the top button buttoned for it breaks the geometry of the front view which gives the body it's shape. I have not purposely left out the Ivy movement but I have. Its significant contribution to me was purely a rebellious and political one, which one could say is anti style, There are those who embrace it and they've even written books on how to achieve it. I'm not a historian and those that want to correct me, feel free to do so.

Last edited:

oven1969

Reaction score
hello, anyone owes both Work and Miner shirts? do they fit the same?

thanks in advance
B

timpoblete

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
66b4438d.jpg

a99b5add.jpg

42843796.jpg

7a0e17fe.jpg

de10a716.jpg

4784353d.jpg

d0245f87.jpg

1d672af6.jpg

619d32a1.jpg

5fbb3cdb.jpg

4604024c.jpg

a57971a7.jpg

27ecfa64.jpg

6bb48a4f.jpg

f66f18bc.jpg

d9871dba.jpg

8f6a3d6d.jpg

(Carried by Gary, but pocket square selection may vary)

23f41ca2.jpg

(Really want to like these, but hasn't happened yet)

Last edited:

bosatlbwi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
other than that cardigan, p&b came through with the worst possible nepenthes buy.

oven1969

Reaction score
I agreed with both mike and 11oclock, I actually tried to order the cardigan from P&B and it cannot be shipped to Canada, oh well, save me some money

slide13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ I would agree with that. I haven't tried this season but I have chambray workshirt and miner shirt from FW11 and the miner does fit a little bit bigger. Not to the point where one would take a different size though I don't think.

Portland Dry Goods

Reaction score
Hey guys, for anyone still looking for Dayton shirts, Shooting Jackets, and accessories I've included a few photos in our Affiliate Thread.

Anyone on the fence about the Dayton should know It's one of my favorite pickups this year. love the mandarin collar and the dark navy is on a heavy modernist tip (which is ironic since most of this gear is influenced by throwback work wear)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics