• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Engineered Garments Spring/Summer 2013, plus FWK

jayce030

Reaction score
Anyone run into these pieces? Know who may be stocking?

Cheers!

Dino19

Reaction score
It just shipped today. Purchased from Nepenthes for $360. I sized it my usual EG jacket size (L). It will fit more loose than say a bedford or andover, but it should due to the style. Here are some measurements per Nepenthes:

M - 21.5" p2p
L - 22.5" p2
Thanks for the info. I'm a XS in the work shirt, so I'm not sure if I need to size up for this. Waiting for Gary to give me the measurements for XS & S once he received his stock.

HuggyGiraffe

Reaction score

Daiki stated SS13 is his interpretation of surfwear (he's an avid surfer).
Obviously, you're going to get some more EG-styled pieces that are consistent, through and through.

Well, he might be described as "avid", but he picked up surfing only fairly recently. Don't mean to burst everyones bubble here, but whoever thinks real surfers wear this kind of clothing is deluding themselves. I surf, spent the most part of January on the north shore and have been to Teahupo'o a couple of times, but have never seen any serious surfer dress up "like a surfer", and definitely not like Bozo the Clown in ostentatious floral patterned little blazers.

What I have seen there, though, are Japanese tourists who were dressed to the nines in "surfer gear" to play with their boogie boards on the beach, but never actually enter the water. So it's clear that EG isn't aiming at getting real surfers to buy this stuff. It is aimed at their usual clientele of "Size XS" Fairy Boys prancing up and down the back alleys of Setagaya, pretending to be weatherworn men until the next "theme" comes around the corner.

Hey, I'm not saying it is bad to have a broad collection, but let's keep it real a bit and not delude ourselves that the pretentious aspect of EG hasn't become stronger over the years, almost replacing the original idea of well-made Americana.

astris

Reaction score
I live 2 blocks from the ocean in what many probably refer to as a beach town (lived here my whole life). I'd to think i know a little bit about it. My personal take, I don't think it's trying to look "real" surf, which is why I like it. Just some loud stuff for summer with a coastal vibe instead of the the usual woodsy feel.

Honestly, is it really anymore ridiculous than some dude walking down the streets of downtown NY, London or Japan in a chambray workshirt and a fisherman/outdoorsman style field jacket? Same thing, other end of the spectrum.

If you're an EG fan, each collection usually has at least something for everyone. If not, move on.

Last edited:

FlyingLotus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well I gave in and went to order the field jacket but its sold out already :( booo

Also, selling a ss12 Douglas shirt jacket in size large for cheap - awesome piece but I need an xl

Last edited:

Edd

Reaction score

For a few years. Your point is the same as mine. It's another field jacket in olive, thus I'm wondering why there's so much excitement. Not saying its not nice, just not what I need for summer.

Since I can see the Pacific Ocean when I walk outside my home, I'm embracing the S/S beach feel this season.

wow you've only just really got into the brand & already saying "Yeh it's another field jacket", however to be fair to this particular edition it has a few different aspects with the rounded collar & different pockets kind of a mix between a field jacket & bird shooter. Of course your comment could also be atributed to the Bedford, Andover,Field shirt,popover,ground jacket,baker,trueman etc etc. Or does printing some 70's style wall paper on a garment make a staple jacket better in your opinion? For me a few subtle changes in material or cut, or even a better pocket layout can be enough.

As for the surf theme, i think if your into it you should take a look at batten sportswear website who have their s/s lookbook up, the guy who designs worked with Daiki & in my opinion Batten offers a much more surf orientated collection for less $.

Last edited:

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Well, he might be described as "avid", but he picked up surfing only fairly recently. Don't mean to burst everyones bubble here, but whoever thinks real surfers wear this kind of clothing is deluding themselves. I surf, spent the most part of January on the north shore and have been to Teahupo'o a couple of times, but have never seen any serious surfer dress up "like a surfer", and definitely not like Bozo the Clown in ostentatious floral patterned little blazers.

What I have seen there, though, are Japanese tourists who were dressed to the nines in "surfer gear" to play with their boogie boards on the beach, but never actually enter the water. So it's clear that EG isn't aiming at getting real surfers to buy this stuff. It is aimed at their usual clientele of "Size XS" Fairy Boys prancing up and down the back alleys of Setagaya, pretending to be weatherworn men until the next "theme" comes around the corner.

Hey, I'm not saying it is bad to have a broad collection, but let's keep it real a bit and not delude ourselves that the pretentious aspect of EG hasn't become stronger over the years, almost replacing the original idea of well-made Americana.

(1) Who's saying EG is making clothing for "real surfers"? The surf gear aspect is another vein of Americana for the EG team to use/interpret. They've also added a decent amount of NY streetwear type stuff in the last few years
(2) if you stopped using (and capitalizing, for some reason) the term "fairy boy" your observations would be less likely to be dismissed out of hand

astris

Reaction score

wow you've only just really got into the brand & already saying "Yeh it's another field jacket", however to be fair to this particular edition it has a few different aspects with the rounded collar & different pockets kind of a mix between a field jacket & bird shooter. Of course your comment could also be atributed to the Bedford, Andover,Field shirt,popover,ground jacket,baker,trueman etc etc. Or does printing some 70's style wall paper on a garment make a staple jacket better in your opinion? For me a few subtle changes in material or cut, or even a better pocket layout can be enough.

As for the surf theme, i think if your into it you should take a look at batten sportswear website who have their s/s lookbook up, the guy who designs worked with Daiki & in my opinion Batten offers a much more surf orientated collection for less $.

I think after wearing it for 3-4 years, I think I understand a decent amount. I know they do tons of revisions (at one point I had 3 or 4 befords in my closet, all from different seasons). My whole point was I simply surprised there was focus on a revised jacket instead of net new pieces. Figured new pieces would draw more attention. That's all.

BTW, giant bright colored daisy print is not for me either, but I'm not knocking it.

As for Batten, I own a couple jackets, but overall, it's a little too athletic and sporty looking for me. There's a reason why my closet is comprised of mainly EG.

canstyleace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What are these called?
Andover - Black? Does anyone know the garment? Is it maybe Tropical Wool as that Charcoal version?
Andover - Seersucker Stripe Navy/White?

I'm so eager to get my first Andover this season and it's probably gonna be one of those two. Judging by the picture, the Nautical print, white/navy/red stripe, or the light grey one didn't really interest me.

First one is the dark navy cavalry twill, theres also a nice khaki iridescent cotton twill this season, and that light grey should look closer to charcoal in person.

Drinkwaters

OG
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Hey Guys and Gals,

This has been a difficult decision for me to make but because of administrative change at EG and my inability to get timely answers about special request for you, I am suspending my service of acquiring those special articles for you. Believe me, it is not because I don't have the time or energy to execute your requests and I have enjoyed making the many friends in distant places that don't have the convenient access but I don't want to keep you waiting unreasonable periods of time for an answer. I would now channel your requests to Nepenthes store and watch this thread for postings from some dedicated members who research the net for styling images and places to acquire those articles. My sincere thanks to all who we have assisted and please keep posted to our EG collections that are arriving daily.

Gary

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Staff online

Forum statistics