• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Edward Green RTW or Crockett & Jones Handgrade

greasymonkey

Reaction score
Hi Folks,
Am in a dilema here as i have the opportunity to buy 2 pairs of Crockett and Jones handgrades or an Edward Green RTW. The choices here are the Belgrave and Selborne from Crockett and the choice of Asquith,Chelsea or Berkley.
Both brands fit me very comfotably so comfortable in that position but cant seem to make my mind on the basis of VFM or leather quality. Any advise will be much appreciated.

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Go for C&J handgrade. normal EG RTW does not worth the up charge, only their colouring is better and has a better arch support.

greasymonkey

Reaction score
Go for C&J handgrade. normal EG RTW does not worth the up charge, only their colouring is better and has a better arch support.
when you say the Edward Green colouring are you refering to specific colours like chestnut, pine or general colouring of leather.

Ilovelobbs

Reaction score

I prefer EG lasts.

^^ Agree with above SF members.

If EG & C&J's fit you comfortably, and you want a specific answer to your question: Can't make my mind on the basis of VFM or leather quality....

Then your dead cert, win/win situation is to go for the 2 pairs of C&J's Handgrade over 1 pair of EG RTW....If it's my size I'll take up the offer if you do decline.

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

when you say the Edward Green colouring are you refering to specific colours like chestnut, pine or general colouring of leather.

I do mean their general colouring. Even the black has a good charm and rich in depth. However, any of their colours can be done better if you can dye leather yourself, in other words a good DIY dying will be just as good.

Last edited:

Ilovelobbs

Reaction score
Go with the C&Js. Buy EGs when you decide that you have too much money lying around.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

C&J's are the Vass of British shoes, solid and VFM.

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Go with the C&Js. Buy EGs when you decide that you have too much money lying around.

icon_gu_b_slayer%5B1%5D.gif

C&J's are the Vass of British shoes, solid and VFM.

Thanks for mentioning Vass. Are you ready to bite the bullet on selecting the size and last without trying it?

It is safe especially if you can send a precise feet measurement to Vass' email account.

Last edited:

greasymonkey

Reaction score
i seem to agree with that notion for a few minutes on the basis that having more pairs of Crockett handgrades that i can rotate during the week should give me more years of wear from them than having a pair of the Edward Green. In another instance the Edward Green bug gets to me and i say to myself i want 1 of their shoes.

greasymonkey

Reaction score
With the arch support you are refering can you elaborate a bit. All inputs so far are much appreciated by SF members.

Last edited:

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

With the arch support you are refering can you elaborate a bit.  All inputs so far are much appreciated by SF members.

An arch support helps the comfortability during walking, it takes time to get used to.

rabiesinfrance

Reaction score
C&J Handgrade is the same leather as EG is it not? C&J sales staff will tell you it is.

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This is true or false depending the physiology of one's foot.

Yep that very true, I have a slightly flat and wide feet so the extra arch support does help a bit.

C&J Handgrade is the same leather as EG is it not? C&J sales staff will tell you it is.

I think the leather grade and finish is equal, however EG seems to be a touch thicker.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads