• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

hoodog

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Aha, well, my fault then. I thought those were the old news now .. Thought it could be purchased as a stock model like an 82 or 64 last in a certain color ..

Could we make a group of 3 pair and pay the 202 last as a stock model? Like you are doing with the 82 last?

Correct me if I am wrong, Leaves, but that would only be possible if the 202 was in fact a stock model. But since it's not, you can only get it through a regular MTO or GMTO.

Nikola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh, well .. I must have badly understood the skoak sale manager. When I asked him about order of Galway on 202 last, he told me there is a one sport left for a Galway in Dark Oak/Walnut CC if I want to join. He obviously meant on Galway on 82 last, even though I asked about the 202 last specifically ..

Paying the full price + MTO price is just too much only to get the 202 last Galway boot. And I am not much optimistic about collecting 6 guys here over the Galway on 202 last.

But, if someone is willing, let's make the list:

@pandaologist , would you be interested in 202 MTO ?

That would be 2 of us? We need 4 more ? :p ..

I think Dark Oak/ Walnut CC would be a great choice .. If not, you could propose .. As long as it doesn't have the suede ..

pandaologist

Reaction score
Oh, well .. I must have badly understood the skoak sale manager. When I asked him about order of Galway on 202 last, he told me there is a one sport left for a Galway in Dark Oak/Walnut CC if I want to join. He obviously meant on Galway on 82 last, even though I asked about the 202 last specifically ..

Paying the full price + MTO price is just too much only to get the 202 last Galway boot. And I am not much optimistic about collecting 6 guys here over the Galway on 202 last.

But, if someone is willing, let's make the list:

@pandaologist , would you be interested in 202 MTO ?

That would be 2 of us? We need 4 more ? :p ..

I think Dark Oak/ Walnut CC would be a great choice .. If not, you could propose .. As long as it doesn't have the suede ..
I am willing to go MTO on the 202. I would prefer dark oak all over like this: http://leffot.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/DSC_0143.jpg

Agreed that it shouldn't have suede. EG staff specifically advised me that if I actually intend to use this in the rain I should avoid suede as it just doesn't hold up as well as other leathers.

I have emailed Skoak, and they are currently unclear on the exact terms of EG's new pricing. They advised me that EG are reluctant to do GMTOs, and that the MTO surcharge would apply on all individual orders. I am not entirely clear if that means that even if we get a GMTO there will still be a significant surcharge, or whether it means that it is just unlikely we will be able to do a GMTO.

rydenfan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Deets on the Galways?  Did you go in with 3 for the Doak w/walnut CC on 82 last?  

I had previously requested pricing prior to the rule changes so it was slightly different process for me.

Galway #1
Skoaktiebolaget stocked model of DOAK and Walnut CC
Only change is I went F width as I was slightly concerned about the narrowness of the 82

Galway #2 (MTO)
202 Last
Edwardian and Almond CC
Storm Welt with Natural Edge Trim
Double Leather Sole

They are Yin & Yang Galways :slayer:

Dark and light, yet complimentary

hoodog

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Galway #2 (MTO)
202 Last
Edwardian and Almond CC
Double Leather Sole

These sound awesome! I am really looking forward to seeing the result.

Out of curiosity: why did you choose the 202 for the second pair?

pandaologist

Reaction score
I had previously requested pricing prior to the rule changes so it was slightly different process for me.

Galway #1
Skoaktiebolaget stocked model of DOAK and Walnut CC
Only change is I went F width as I was slightly concerned about the narrowness of the 82

Galway #2 (MTO)
202 Last
Edwardian and Almond CC
Double Leather Sole

They are Yin & Yang Galways
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Dark and light, yet complimentary
Those sound very nice. Does anyone know how the double leather soles wear? I normally avoid double leather because I find single leather soles wear down so fast when wet, and are very slippery; but some people swear that double leather are okay in the rain.

rydenfan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

These sound awesome! I am really looking forward to seeing the result.

Out of curiosity: why did you choose the 202 for the second pair? 

I was back and forth between 64 and 202. I dress on the more casual side and like a bit more generous last. Ultimately I went 202 based off the advice of my "SF spiritual advisors" as well as not really needing Veldt construction and wanting a storm welt.

Those sound very nice. Does anyone know how the double leather soles wear? I normally avoid double leather because I find single leather soles wear down so fast when wet, and are very slippery; but some people swear that double leather are okay in the rain.

I chose double leather as I went with a lighter edge trim for this makeup and I thought the black of a heavier sole would be too much of a contrast abd be a bit distracting. I think the double leather will blend in as well as be plenty durable

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score

I was back and forth between 64 and 202. I dress on the more casual side and like a bit more generous last. Ultimately I went 202 based off the advice of my "SF spiritual advisors" as well as not really needing Veldt construction and wanting a storm welt.
I chose double leather as I went with a lighter edge trim for this makeup and I thought the black of a heavier sole would be too much of a contrast abd be a bit distracting. I think the double leather will blend in as well as be plenty durable

I think you made all the right decisions, Ryden. I can't wait to see them. Congrats if I didn't say it already.

j ingevaldsson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

JM Weston still employs the original Goodyear-welting method on some of their models as shown in this video (Not JM Weston's): This is how Goodyear-welting was originally done, by cutting and turning a thin leather holdfast, and reinforcing it with a sheet of canvas. I'm sure the insoles were slightly thicker than modern GY-welted shoes, since they had to have enough to cut and turn, but they were obviously not as thick as a hand-welted insole. Gemming as we know it today didn't come along until sometime around the 2nd World War. They also employ modern gemming on some models. Here is a photo that is from JM Weston, showing the original (old) GY-welting insoles: The reinforcement role of the canvas is evidenced here as well, just in case you didn't watch the video.
Thanks MWS, great video and info!

Last edited:

PCK1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can the Galway be made on the 888 last?

thebeebs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Galway country boot on EG's dressiest last, the 888, is a contradiction IMO.

Last edited:

PCK1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Galway country boot on EG's dressiest last, the 888, is a contradiction IMO.

My question was a straightford "yes it is possible" or "no it is not possible".

SuitedDx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I find double leather soles more comfortable on uneven ground (e.g., asphalt) as I feel rocks and bumps more with single leather. From my experience (I used to walk around 5 miles a day for almost 10 years in NYC), both soles eventually wear, controlling for thickness of the outsole. I only find wet leather soles slippery on marble, and honestly, I've almost fallen even with my Dainite. For me, it depends on how fast I'm walking when it's wet. Snow/ice is bad regardless of sole (okay, commando soles make a difference).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads