• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

steveabdn

Reaction score
I wear my Galways pretty much every day, I figure that any items true price is its cost divided by the number of times you wear them

I'd rather pay £800 for daily wear items than pay £150 for a pair of shoes that hardly see the light of day

j ingevaldsson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wear my Galways pretty much every day, I figure that any items true price is its cost divided by the number of times you wear them

I'd rather pay £800 for daily wear items than pay £150 for a pair of shoes that hardly see the light of day

If you want to get as much wear out of them as possible you should definitely not wear them every day. This will significantly lower the life span of the shoes, even if it's high quality ones like EG, since they don't get the chance to dry in between wears. It's pretty much the basics of shoe caring: wear shoe trees, keep clean and polish them every one's in a while, and do not wear the shoes for two days in a row. At least take it down to wear you Galways every other day, and let them rest for one day between use, and they will be around for many more wears than if you keep doing like you do it today.

Last edited:

unipair guy

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Edwar Green Alderley in Mahogany and Carmina Chromexcel. Who would take for a walk in the country?
colgate.gif

Gianni Cerutti

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Been watching this thread from afar and drooling at the beautiful selections and have decided to take the plunge and have a couple questions:

Living in the DC metro area, my B&M buying choices are Sky Valet and Brooks Brothers, even though my BB does not carry them in stock, they are willing to have several shipped to the store for me to try on. This is great but it seems to me that their prices are a couple hundred dollars more than some of the online retailers, is this because they include the shoe trees? Also, the corporate discount is a nice perk.

My first choice would be the Galway but with winter coming to an end, it seems more practical for me to order something that I can wear all year and buy those next fall. Does EG retailers carry the Galway all year?

I'm looking at the following at Brook Brothers:

EG Leather Medallion Cap Toes in Grey

EG Wingtip Bals in Burgundy Antique

Anyone know what last these are on and have a pic of them in the wild?

Thoughts appreciated!
Very classic models.

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just received an email. My MTO has been received by Skoaktiebolaget and it should be on it's way shortly. Due to a mix up at the factory it took about a month longer than it should have, but it certainly has been worth waiting for.

RogerP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:
Another cool comparison. If you're giving them away, I'll take the Alderley, please. ;-) A very classy country boot indeed (though both the Galway and Nevis tug my heart strings a little harder from the EG stable). Out of my own pocket, the Carmina plays a very strong hand in value, and I love how chromexcel ages with hard use. I have beat hard on a pair of Chromexcel AE Bayfields for three winters and numerous hunting / hiking / camping trips and I swear they look better now than when they were brand new.

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can't wait to get them home, pair them with my BLUE watch, and put them on. Another great transaction with the people from Skoaktiebolaget. Thanks Guys!!!

Here's to completing my Galway Trifecta in September.

Leaves

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

I can't wait to get them home, pair them with my BLUE watch, and put them on. Another great transaction with the people from Skoaktiebolaget. Thanks Guys!!!

Here's to completing my Galway Trifecta in September.

The pleasure is ours dddrees! And thank you for your patience with the delay from the factory.

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The pleasure is ours dddrees! And thank you for your patience with the delay from the factory.

These are certainly well worth the wait. Thanks for keeping me informed in regards to what was going on.

Cheers,

Dan

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score

I don't know if it has been discussed before but what's the opinion of a GMTO for a Galway in all Cognac Cordovan? Wouldn't that be the most awesome make-up ever?

Holy Crap! I'd not buy shoes for two years to be in on those! haha

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads