• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cuttingboard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Different lasts are different. The 890 will have more room across the vamp than the 82. Overall, the 82 is narrower than the 890.

But beware of comparing shoes in one last to boots in another. Boot lasts run wider than shoe lasts of the same type. Thus, a boot on the 82 will have a shade more room than a shoe on the 82. YMMV.

Did not know that...thanks!

Cuttingboard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yes, my Galway definitely fit different than my other 82 Last shoes.

Just curious because the Paris EG store told me I wear an 8UK but several months ago I bought a 8.5UK in Shannon's for winter.

Last edited:

JulianL

Reaction score
Could someone compare and contrast the fit of 888 vs 82 for me please, particularly around the forefoot and toe area.

I have an MTO order on hold at the moment because I'm worried that the 6.5D that I used for my last order might have too much space and am considering amending the size to 6.5C. I'm a bit nervous about doing this and unfortunately EG don't have any stock 888 shoes in 6.5C to try on but I did go into the store to try what I think was the closest I could find, a Chelsea on 82 in 6.5C. I'd like to understand whether an 888 in the same size and width is likely to be more restrictive, less restrictive or about the same around the toe area and joint area compared to the 82 that I tried on.

From looking at them visually in the shop the 82 seems to narrow slightly more sharply towards the front than the 888 does so my guess is that the 888 might have slightly more toe space or maybe the same but probably not less than the 82 that I tried on but I'm guessing that there are a few people here who have shoes on both the 82 and 888 lasts so could probably give me some really good feedback.

- Julian

smoothie1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Could someone compare and contrast the fit of 888 vs 82 for me please, particularly around the forefoot and toe area.

I have an MTO order on hold at the moment because I'm worried that the 6.5D that I used for my last order might have too much space and am considering amending the size to 6.5C. I'm a bit nervous about doing this and unfortunately EG don't have any stock 888 shoes in 6.5C to try on but I did go into the store to try what I think was the closest I could find, a Chelsea on 82 in 6.5C. I'd like to understand whether an 888 in the same size and width is likely to be more restrictive, less restrictive or about the same around the toe area and joint area compared to the 82 that I tried on.

From looking at them visually in the shop the 82 seems to narrow slightly more sharply towards the front than the 888 does so my guess is that the 888 might have slightly more toe space or maybe the same but probably not less than the 82 that I tried on but I'm guessing that there are a few people here who have shoes on both the 82 and 888 lasts so could probably give me some really good feedback.

- Julian

Your inquiry highlights the importance of trying on shoes whenever possible. Good job trying on the closest thing to what you want that EG had available. What did EG advise on width fitting for an 888 compared to the 82? Their advice would be valuable. You can always call/email their sales department directly for more info. How did the 82 last in C width feel?

The 888 and 82 (and even 890) are in the same last family and are slightly different variations on a theme--an aggressively chiseled/tapered/shapely toe. Overall, the 888 and 82 are quite similar in fit. In my experience (yes I have multiple pairs on 888 and 82), there is less room in the chiseled toe and vamp of the 888 than the 82, but this is directly influenced by individual foot shape, width at ball, and instep. In general, I think you risk having less (possibly not enough) room for your pinky toe by choosing a narrower width fitting on the 888. Why do you think a D-width 888 will have too much space?

bespoken pa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It is worth noting the 82 is 1/16 of inch longer than the 888. However that doesn't necessarily translate to usable space either. I really notice very little in terms aside from a little extra room in the toebox on the 82 in terms of length. I really cannot think of too many people who take different sizes in the two hoever as always YMMV.

JulianL

Reaction score

Your inquiry highlights the importance of trying on shoes whenever possible. Good job trying on the closest thing to what you want that EG had available. What did EG advise on width fitting for an 888 compared to the 82? Their advice would be valuable. You can always call/email their sales department directly for more info. How did the 82 last in C width feel?

The 888 and 82 (and even 890) are in the same last family and are slightly different variations on a theme--an aggressively chiseled/tapered/shapely toe. Overall, the 888 and 82 are quite similar in fit. In my experience (yes I have multiple pairs on 888 and 82), there is less room in the chiseled toe and vamp of the 888 than the 82, but this is directly influenced by individual foot shape, width at ball, and instep. In general, I think you risk having less (possibly not enough) room for your pinky toe by choosing a narrower width fitting on the 888. Why do you think a D-width 888 will have too much space?

Thanks for the reply. I did ask EG the question and they were pretty non-committal on the difference between 82 and 888 width. I suspect that it's as you say, it can depend so much on individual foot shape.

The reason I think (in fact I'm pretty confident in saying that I know) that my 888 D width has too much room is that the space above my forefoot allowed the crease on my Shannon's to develop to the point where it drew blood, a lot of blood, from where it cut into my toes. I took them back to EG and they fitted a full sock and it helped enormously, it felt like a whole different shoe, but I've also always had heel slip and hence started thinking that maybe a drop to the C width for my next order would achieve the same thing as the full sock and also narrow the heel a bit which would certainly be a benefit. As another experiment I asked EG to cut me another loose pair of full socks for my 6.5Ds and have done a fair bit of walking in them with both the glued-in full socks and the loose full socks on top of those so basically a 6.5D with double full socks in each shoe and that wasn't causing me any issues.

It is good to try shoes but it's not always so easy because the shoes are obviously brand new and I'm always a bit uncertain how they will break in and even hanging around the shop for 20 minutes or so still doesn't give a great deal of time to really find out. The 82/6.5C that I tried in the shop did feel snugger than my double-full-sock 888/6.5D but they were absolutely brand new not broken in like my 888/6.5Ds and I didn't feel any undue pressure anywhere, just very snug.

- Julian

smoothie1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the fellow who writes the Permanent Style blog wrote a piece on EG lasts and experimenting in width and lengths. It's worth tracking down because he mentions the problem of the crease and captoe cutting into his foot. Best of luck. Cheers.

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think the fellow who writes the Permanent Style blog wrote a piece on EG lasts and experimenting in width and lengths. It's worth tracking down because he mentions the problem of the crease and captoe cutting into his foot. Best of luck. Cheers.

That would make some interesting reading. Hopefully someone is able to track that down and share the link.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads