• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

E.G. Cappelli Store now LIVE!

gshen

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Mr. Hober - thank you very much for your very reasonable commentary, which I always appreciate. I have had the good fortune of being able to examine your ties as well many '"luxury" neckties, and suffice to say your quality of construcion is amongst the very few that I personally have deep respect for. Like yourself, we may not be Neapolitan mamas or a big brand, but we take our time to make everything to the absolute best of our ability.

In any case, we will be travelling to UK and Italy to meet with most of the mills mentioned here in late March. If anyone has specific questions for the mills whether it be history or technical information, I would be happy to pass them on in our short interviews we have planned, and publish them on SF of on our blog when we return.

Sam Hober

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
"...but we take our time to make everything to the absolute best of our ability...."

Gerald,

Thank you for your kind words.

You and your friend already know the secret of tie making as I can see from the above comment. With that spirit you will do very well.

I just visited your site and laughed when I saw your Singapore weather commentary "hot and hotter" for your two seasons.

Enjoy your trip to Europe - we have small children so travel is rare for us. I look forward to looking at your photos.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
David,

Yes, I did not want to comment but you cannot get only enough custom silk screen printed for 4 ties unless you are planning on charging about $1,000 a tie. You couldn't even get it inkjet printed.

Funny you mention the Italian printers that own a lot of the archival Macclasfield designs. I met yesterday with an Italian weaver, they had rolls upon rolls of silk samples for me to look through and as I am showing an interest in the more sedate conservative designs, he says "you like the Mac type of designs? We own the majority of archival designs in the Macclasfield Museum, let me get them for you." So I'll be getting some "Macclasfield" prints from Italy. Gerald, enjoy your trip and don't get any of my designs :mad: :D

Last edited by a moderator:

quar

Reaction score
ed, less looking at silk, more working on the pants, cheers. :slayer:

T4phage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

.....With only a few exceptions most tie makers do not make ties slowly and even fewer make custom/made bespoke ties. The main difference in the luxury ready made tie market is the designs. The silks are almost all beautiful and the sewing pretty good.
Cappelli has a nice classic sense of design which I love - he offers made to measure ties as does Drakes and a few others which is also very nice. His new website is clear and although not complete looks easy to use. I think if he has the design that you like and price is not an issue you should order from him without hesitation.
If you order from one of the few bespoke makers left you need to allow more time and plan on more interaction to get just what you want. Most of the time the big names will charge more as is normal - but if you travel around Italy you will be able to find small tie makers whom if you have time and the communication skills you can order ties from at prices lower than the famous makers. Prices not to far off from our prices. We are able to charge a low price because we are very organized and have been making clothes for 50 years as well as weaving silk for longer - and we have a very low profit margin because we love what we do.......

cappelli being a 'big' name
as your post implies
is a bit misleading
... for his brand
is quite obscure.

as for your pricing
and of vanda..
would the cost of labour
not be a factor
v.s italy?

Sam Hober

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

cappelli being a 'big' name
as your post implies
is a bit misleading
... for his brand
is quite obscure.
as for your pricing
and of vanda..
would the cost of labour
not be a factor
v.s italy?

T4phage,

I like your writing style.

Big is relative - I think my post was accurate and not misleading but my apologies if you thought so.

Our labor costs are mostly American. All of our management and design costs are American.

Our transportation costs are very high.

Overall our costs are probably similar to Italy or possibly higher as we are very small and do not have economies of scale.

In the future we plan to return to a focus on growing, reeling, dyeing & weaving our silks ourselves our costs will surely be higher than other tie makers at that time and our prices will stay roughly the same..... as will our friendly service.

David,
Yes, I did not want to comment but you cannot get only enough custom silk screen printed for 4 ties unless you are planning on charging about $1,000 a tie. You couldn't even get it inkjet printed.
Funny you mention the Italian printers that own alot of the archival Macclasfield designs. I met yesterday with an Italian weaver, they had rolls upon rolls of silk samples for me to look through and as I am showing an interest in the more sedate conservative designs, he says "you like the Mac type of designs?, we own the majority of archival designs in the Macclasfield Museum, let me get them for you". So I'll be getting some "Macclasfield" prints from Italy. Gerald, enjoy your trip and don't get any of my designs :mad: :D

Ed,

Yes, exactly you understand my thoughts.

One nice thing about Italian printers is that they have done some investing in modern printing equipment which is good for the environment.

Why did this thread get so civil so fast? FIGHT!

Grammaton Cleric,

Some scandal for you:

There is shall we say some less than friendly feelings between some in the town of Macclesfield and the museum for licensing the traditional designs.

Last edited:

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just placed an order for a grenadine in standard 3 fold, lined construction.

The total came to $140 dollars including shipping and duties.

As you can custom specify your width easily I presume they are made to order.

Wonder how long the delivery times will be?

Certainly not as well priced as the Hobers. But my curiosity has outdone my frugality.

I only own on tie from Cappelli - very happy with it.

ShayaEXQT

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Quote:
I just placed an order for a grenadine in standard 3 fold, lined construction.
The total came to $140 dollars including shipping and duties.
As you can custom specify your width easily I presume they are made to order.
Wonder how long the delivery times will be?
Certainly not as well priced as the Hobers. But my curiosity has outdone my frugality.
I only own on tie from Cappelli - very happy with it.

On ASW the delivery times for custom ties are around 6 weeks (I think!) Cappelli does have some of the standard ties in stock though, so it might ship quicker.

Moss

Reaction score
It would be great to have an indication of whether you are drawing from ready made stock (assuming 9 cm, 3-fold ) or a custom make up.

bullswin

Reaction score
When placing an order, is there an option of selecting/specifying untipped + hand rolled edges? (and if so, is there an associated cost?)

Grammaton Cleric

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

When placing an order, is there an option of selecting/specifying untipped + hand rolled edges? (and if so, is there an associated cost?)

No, but he is pretty receptive to requests via email. It is a bespoke product after all.

bullswin

Reaction score
What's their email address? I can't find any contact info on the site. Thanks.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads