• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

E.G. Cappelli Store now LIVE!

ShayaEXQT

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Quote:
Why are people expecting a deal? This place is looking like ask andy more and more everyday.
50 euros covers shipping and duties - which are ungodly expensive on silks, wools, etc...

I was wondering about that... There are many posts here about how people have been screwed on customs and duties, it offers a certain peace of mind to know what is the final price you will pay.

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Why are people expecting a deal? This place is looking like ask andy more and more everyday.
50 euros covers shipping and duties - which are ungodly expensive on silks, wools, etc...

I don't thinking anyone was complaining - merely pointing out that the article referenced in the OP was wrong in assuming that the ties were reasonably priced.

FWIW, I have ordered a ton of silks, wools from the EU (in larger quantities and weights that a single tie) and never been charged 50 euros for shipping. Either way, its his store / business and he is welcome to charge the price he likes. I'll continue to order via NSM.

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I don't thinking anyone was complaining - merely pointing out that the article referenced in the OP was wrong in assuming that the ties were reasonably priced.

FWIW, I have ordered a ton of silks, wools from the EU (in larger quantities and weights that a single tie) and never been charged 50 euros for shipping. Either way, its his store / business and he is welcome to charge the price he likes. I'll continue to order via NSM.

As have I - but every once in a while I'm hit with a $200 bill for a single shirt from France.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

FWIW, I have ordered a ton of silks, wools from the EU (in larger quantities and weights that a single tie) and never been charged 50 euros for shipping. Either way, its his store / business and he is welcome to charge the price he likes. I'll continue to order via NSM.

You can order Cappelli via NsM? Does Mina bring swatches with her for ties? Is the construction then Cappelli as well or Mina does them using Cappelli silks?

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
You can order Cappelli via NsM? Does Mina bring swatches with her for ties? Is the construction then Cappelli as well or Mina does them using Cappelli silks?

Yes
Yes
Cappelli makes'em

CousinDonuts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This shipping cost is just stupid. We've had e-commerce for what, the better part of nearly 25 years now? To me, and this is being very cynical based on a single data point, this is why old-line Italian companies are dying. Luxury brands are making a killing right now. The whole world is interconnected by the web, delivered by FedEx, UPS, and the USPS and it's in-country partners. Yet you can't deliver your product to me for a reasonable price?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
In a sense most all Cappellis are "exclusive" in that most of the silks he gets are in squares than can make at most four ties.

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Really? It seems that the Macclesfield prints he gets are the same as those shown at Marinella, Drake's and Hober. I always assumed there was a big central supplier of those silks somewhere in the UK.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Really? It seems that the Macclesfield prints he gets are the same as those shown at Marinella, Drake's and Hober. I always assumed there was a big central supplier of those silks somewhere in the UK.

There is. They try not to sell the same silks to the same people (you'll noticed shared patterns but different colorways among different makers). If you order your own design, you have an exclusivity period (7 years I think), but you are talking buying much more than simply enough for a few ties. The silks come two ways, in panels or continuous, what Manton is referring to are the panels. The panels are more expensive because there you get lower yields with it when making a tie (there is about a 1 inch blank space in between the panels). I just got my first "exclusive" shipment but I would not be surprised to see the same thing in a different color and with one missing or added pattern (a diamond, flower etc). There is also a large woven silk printer in england, not sure if Capelli uses them but Kiton definitely does. I am having them do an escorial wool/silk blend in a neat pattern, very cool looking and feeling.

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
^ Very interesting, thanks Ed

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Yeah, in Naples I saw a few of the same ties at marinella, cappelli, Cilento, etc. So some of them must be made off those roles. However, Cappelli's business is focused on more exclusive offerings and his stock is far, far smaller. More than once I have tried to get this or that tie only to be told it was gone. I don't know what the % of exclusive v. roll is there, but he has a heavier emphasis on the former than anyone else that I could tell.

Well, except that Rubinacci seemed to have completely exclusive stuff.

JL724

Reaction score
Feels like the 10 ties I bought last time I saw Mina were 50% off.

T4phage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
vanners for the wovens
adamley for the prints

these are the two british companies
responsible for most of the silks
and patterns for ties
that are commonly
discussed
here

they are the 'designers'
calling on their
extensive archives.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics