1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Do you tuck in your shirt into your underwear?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Patrician, Oct 22, 2008.

1. Patrician

Patrician Well-Known Member

Somewhere in crazy Europe with all the naked girls
    We all have our ways of keeping the shirt from getting all baggy and loose, some use the so called military tuck, some use slimfit shirts and some might even staple the shirt to their legs (wtf?!) but then there are those who tuck their shirts into their underwear. Are you one of those? [​IMG]

EDIT: To clarify, I'm not "one of those". [​IMG]

2. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Well-Known Member

3. Scrumhalf

Scrumhalf Well-Known Member

No, but I tuck my undershirt into my underwear. That usually works like a charm in keeping my shirt from getting baggy on me during the course of the day.

4. Zenny

Zenny Well-Known Member

I tuck my pants into my underwear.

5. GTR

GTR Well-Known Member

Bespoke trousers.

6. Scrumhalf

Scrumhalf Well-Known Member

Laugh if you must, but the undershirt in the underwear trick works like magic to prevent or at least suppress the tendency of the shirt to work its way out of a neat tuck over the course of the day. I was skeptical too until I tried it.

7. Golf_Nerd

Golf_Nerd Well-Known Member

Laugh if you must, but the undershirt in the underwear trick works like magic to prevent or at least suppress the tendency of the shirt to work its way out of a neat tuck over the course of the day. I was skeptical too until I tried it.

+1

I am wearing t-shirts (tucked in the underwear). Only once or twice a year I try without. The result is, that the shirt is getting loose.

8. Patrician

Patrician Well-Known Member

Somewhere in crazy Europe with all the naked girls
    No... It's too disgusting, just a normal tuck on my pants and not in the underwear. I can't imagine myself doing that....
    I too had that opinion until recently when I thought about it, what is it thats disgusting about it? I mean, its not like your that dirty "down stairs"? Sure sweat, but you sweat from your armpits too, which touches your shirt aswell. And its not like your buttocks are dirty?...unless your shirt goes all the way to down and under your crotch? And do keep in mind that you laundy the shirt after you've used it.

Please feel free to elaborate on your thoughts...

I myself dont do it for the simple reason that my underwear sometimes shows when wearing pants, even though I use a belt.

9. whiteslashasian

whiteslashasian Well-Known Member

+1

I am wearing t-shirts (tucked in the underwear). Only once or twice a year I try without. The result is, that the shirt is getting loose.

I was tired of my dress shirts working their way out of the back side. So I was told about the "undershirt into underwear" trick. Works like a charm. I think having more than 1 loose item tucked into your pants just makes it easier for each one to work their way out.

10. JayJay

JayJay Well-Known Member

11. jagmqt

jagmqt Well-Known Member

No, but I tuck my undershirt into my underwear. That usually works like a charm in keeping my shirt from getting baggy on me during the course of the day.

+1

I too had that opinion until recently when I thought about it, what is it thats disgusting about it? I mean, its not like your that dirty "down stairs"? Sure sweat, but you sweat from your armpits too, which touches your shirt aswell. And its not like your buttocks are dirty?...unless your shirt goes all the way to down and under your crotch? And do keep in mind that you laundy the shirt after you've used it.

Please feel free to elaborate on your thoughts...

I myself dont do it for the simple reason that my underwear sometimes shows when wearing pants, even though I use a belt.

In all seriousness, why don't you simply buy longer undershirts? Tall sizes, perhaps. Or, I've found a GAP stretch-T makes a great undershirt because it's form-fitting and stays snug to the body (however they don't breathe as much as 100% cotton, so I don't suggest them on a hot day.)

I'm very tall (6'8") and have always hated when undershirts became un-tucked under a dress shirt, but with longer undershirts, I don't have the problem. But in all honesty, until this thread, it has never occured to me to tuck anything into my boxers.

Just my thoughts...take 'em or leave 'em

jag

12. Eccentric

Eccentric Well-Known Member

13. johnnyblazini

johnnyblazini Well-Known Member

If your shirt is riding up throughout the day, you need to get a new shirt maker... I have had that problem once, and it was due to fabric quality...

14. Marcus Brody

Marcus Brody Well-Known Member

In all seriousness, why don't you simply buy longer undershirts? Tall sizes, perhaps. Or, I've found a GAP stretch-T makes a great undershirt because it's form-fitting and stays snug to the body (however they don't breathe as much as 100% cotton, so I don't suggest them on a hot day.)

What size Gap stretch tees are you buying? I also like them a lot as undershirts, but do think that they could serve to be an inch or two longer when serving that purpose with another shirt tucked in over top of them (though it does depend on the waist of the pants).

On a slightly related note, when I was in college I spent a year studying in Spain. The woman who I rented me my room also did laundry. She was just in love with my Gap stretch t-shirts. She would go on about how she knew clothes and they were good quality clothes. She basically wouldn't believe me when I told her how much they cost. I think that Gap did drop their quality and thickness for a time in the last few years, but it seems to me the last batch I bought were pretty good, so I hope they stay that way.

15. HATORI HANZO

HATORI HANZO Well-Known Member

I always tuck my undershirt in my underwear.

16. jagmqt

jagmqt Well-Known Member

What size Gap stretch tees are you buying? I also like them a lot as undershirts, but do think that they could serve to be an inch or two longer when serving that purpose with another shirt tucked in over top of them (though it does depend on the waist of the pants).

On a slightly related note, when I was in college I spent a year studying in Spain. The woman who I rented me my room also did laundry. She was just in love with my Gap stretch t-shirts. She would go on about how she knew clothes and they were good quality clothes. She basically wouldn't believe me when I told her how much they cost. I think that Gap did drop their quality and thickness for a time in the last few years, but it seems to me the last batch I bought were pretty good, so I hope they stay that way.

I get XL-T online...there is always a "but two get them cheaper" offer online...if it helps you gauge size, i mentioned my height, i'm about 230 lbs and wear a 44-46 sized suit coat w/ a 36" waist...I've tried the L-T's, but they are too tight for my tastes...the XL-T's are form-fitting but not tight.

As to quality...well, I wear them as an undershirt, so I guess I never thought about it...I just replace them as needed.

Hope this helps.

jag

17. litho

litho Well-Known Member

I find it bizarre that anyone would tuck anything into their underwear

18. Marcus Brody

Marcus Brody Well-Known Member

I get XL-T online...there is always a "but two get them cheaper" offer online...if it helps you gauge size, i mentioned my height, i'm about 230 lbs and wear a 44-46 sized suit coat w/ a 36" waist...I've tried the L-T's, but they are too tight for my tastes...the XL-T's are form-fitting but not tight. As to quality...well, I wear them as an undershirt, so I guess I never thought about it...I just replace them as needed. Hope this helps. jag
    It does. Thanks! I've always bought them in the store and didn't realize they had a tall option. I will occasionally wear them as a standard white t-shirt, so I noticed when my newer ones started to wear out before my older ones.

19. mafoofan

mafoofan Well-Known Member

No. And if you do, please keep it to yourself.

20. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Well-Known Member

No.

I find it bizarre that anyone would tuck anything into their underwear

+1. Buy longer undershirts.