1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Do you keep your college textbooks?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by tyates, Sep 28, 2008.

1. mishon

mishon Well-Known Member

Donated all my undergrad and law books to a local library. Only kept 2 books: The Bluebook and Legal Writing by Design.

2. erbs

erbs Well-Known Member

I usually sell my science texts, but I keep most of the philosophy/lit books.

3. goodlife

goodlife Well-Known Member

As others have said it rally depends on your field. I kept all the books from classes in my major (history) and a few others I found particularly interesting (novels and anthologies from Lit. and texts for Art History). Being in grad. school a few have come in handy. Even the American History textbooks, which are mostly useless civics propaganda, are good for the occasional map.

4. acidboy

acidboy Well-Known Member

Still have some here, staring at me, from the time I graduated in '92. Haven't even opened them again eversince.

5. mendozavr

mendozavr Member

I was always very quick to resell mine at the end of the semester. I still own a few novels I had to read for history and literature classes.

Apart from those books you keep for reference, reselling right away is the best way to go since most textbooks tend to depreciate rapidly. If you need the book again, you can always re-buy it used for a lower price from from Half.com or Amazon.

6. Fade to Black

Fade to Black Well-Known Member

at the end of every year in college, i carried bags and bags of notes, essays, tests to the recycling room and got rid of all of it. Then I sold whatever books i had, sometimes still in their original wrapper for whatever i could get. i basically walked out of there with nothing but my diploma.

7. Jared

Jared Well-Known Member

I kept a fair number of them that I assumed would come in handy as a reference. Now they're in boxes at my parents' place on the other side of town. Therefore, whenever I need a reference I check if I can find the same information online before I go to the trouble of finding the book. So far nothing has come up that required getting the book.

8. Eagle

Eagle Well-Known Member

I did including most of my research papers and five copies of my graduate thesis, for about 30 years and then...gave (bound) copy of the thesis to each of our grown children and threw the rest out. Boy, did that feel good! [​IMG]

9. chiral

chiral Well-Known Member

I keep most of my core texts because I find myself referencing them all the time. Organic + physical chem, advanced instrumental design, analytical methods, etc.

10. Honstu

Honstu Member

I always resell my textbooks as I have found that there was no real use in keeping them, however I still have a whole stack of notes I keep for future referencing.

11. eg1

eg1 Well-Known Member

I am something of a packrat, but I finally ditched many of my old textbooks (20+ years old) this past spring when the basement flooded and I was forced to move stuff around. I kept all the literature, though.

12. bimmernate

bimmernate Well-Known Member

Most are gone. Some I use to make arguments. Some I use because they can be used in place of Ambien.

13. dtmt

dtmt Well-Known Member

Yup... that's what mom's house is for.

14. Thomas

Thomas Well-Known Member

Kept the good books, sold off the rest. I did keep quite a few of my MBA textbooks though for future reference. I kept a few notable ones only for the novelty of cracking them open, something I didn't always do when school was in session.

15. ama

ama Well-Known Member

I notice I kept a couple of economics books, mostly by accident though.

16. skiwebster

skiwebster Well-Known Member

resold all my college textbooks but kept my casebooks from law school because they all have the same binding/coloring and look pretty cool on the bookshelf. of course, there is a 99% chance i'll never open them, but i think they look neat.

17. TheClearanceGuy

TheClearanceGuy Well-Known Member

If you don't plan on going back to school then I would get rid of them. If you plan on going back you might want to hold on to them.

18. upstarter

upstarter Well-Known Member

Of course not (I'm about to graduate).

I kept my AP European History book from HS, though.

Palmer, Colton, and Kramer's History of the Modern World. -Quite possibly the best textbook ever written.

19. jdcpa

jdcpa Well-Known Member

I am still in the process of getting rid of mine. Most of undergrad are gone. I still have a few left from law. The case books are worthless (for law use), only value is to donate them. The code books still have a bit of life. I also have my accounting books....those actually are pretty useful for reference, so I still have about 70% of those.

20. mikeman

mikeman Well-Known Member

I keep all books that have information that I may need in the future,otherwise I try to sell them.But most of the time I just throw them in the recycling,because getting 50 cents back on a 100 dollar book isnt worth it.