• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do you keep your college textbooks?

tyates

Reaction score
I'm trying to clear up some place in my apartment and having a hard time tossing my old college textbooks from years past. There are a lot of them and it fills about 3 good size boxes full. For some reason, I always think I will need to keep them just in case I need to refer to them.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Um, it kindof depends on whether:

1. Your work reflects your educational background
2. Your work might require textbook idealism
2. You like what you did enough to care

I'm an engineer, still need the old Calc book now and again. And others.

Willsw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I usually keep whatever I must buy for Art History classes, but those aren't usually the same kind of textbook. If it's well-written and informative, I'll probably keep it.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I kept all of them them from the various different degrees i started but didn't finish. I have everything from Aeschylus and Ancient Greek history to books on organic chemistry, quantum mechanics, corporate finance, and optimization modelling.
laugh.gif
Plus i have a ton of books on programming and systems administration. I keep all my books but I throw-out everything else. I don't keep all the junk most people accumulate over the years.

Fwiw, they're nice to have around. I'll even go back to the organic chem once in a while, not because i need to, but because i forgot how something works and I want to remember for my own sake. Same thing with my history books. The accounting and finance books can be of practical value to just about anyone imo. There's certainly no harm in hanging on to them.

edit: i'm incinerating the couple of poli sci books i purchased. Total crap.

utsa03

Reaction score
I would keep them, mine came in handy when i was doing my MBA for reference.

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
I kept my undergrad textbooks for a long time after graduation, until I realized that I was never going to look at them again.

I have recently made about $500 by selling my MBA textbooks through the used book seller option on Amazon. It was extremely easy and a nice way to get some cash.

Go Surface

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I kept a lot of my law and psychology books, but that's because I could only sell the law books back for like 6 dollars.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I still have a few, but haven't opened them for quite some time.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have kept all my technical ones, which is pretty much all of them. I actually do open them again a couple times a year. I also have bought new textbooks on my own since I've graduated.

If you have a general education degree that has nothing to do with your career, then you could probably toss them because all the info in them can easily be found on wikipedia.

IUtoSLU

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I always sold everything I could. For the books that the bookstore refused to buy back, I keep on a bookshelf in my home office where they collect dust.

ComboOrgan

Reaction score
I keep mine and I use them all the time.

I'm a physics major, and most physics majors do the same. Same goes for math and the hard sciences.

Back when I was in the arts and soft sciences, I sold them. There wasn't much need to reference material from past classes.

tyates

Reaction score
I think I'll hang on to them. I'd like to sell them but I just have some sort of emotional connection to them for some reason.

NaTionS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I try to sell them. Those that don't sell I keep on my shelf.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads