• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do Women Really Love Stylish men?

Brian SD

Reaction score
In Orange County? 98% sounds about right.
And how many people here live in Orange County? 0.01%? 0.05%? I lived in Orange County for awhile, and while Dana Point and Newport suck major ass, the rest of OC is just fine and dandy.

Nonk

Reaction score
I am surprised that the issue of age has not been brought up yet. The question is do women like "stylish" (well dressed) men? This I feel has a lot to do with the definition of "stylish" which, as a generalisation changes with increasing years.

I think the forum are in broad agreement that to be stylish, means to abandon slavery to fashion, and adopt an individual style, which is based on the foundations of quality and classic designs. To do so, especially at a relatively young age requires a degree of courage, as it will separate the individual from the perceived norm.

Women of lesser years may not appreciate that this moral courage is in fact an admirable trait, but instead feel insecure at being associated with such a person. This is a lack of character common in the young in my opinion, especially females. Their very definition of stylish is driven by the standards of their age group, who by and large are fashion conscious.

I have found, in my limited experience that it is older women who will appreciate the well dressed man more, or at least will be open and vocalise it. (And I really enjoyed the attention) as they have developed a degree of personality and individualism that the younger ones lack.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I believe JL is from OC so that's why I validated his comment.

I would disagree with your comments about Orange County, while Newport is certainly the pinnacle of OC snobbiness, I don't know this doesn't extend to other parts of Orange County as well, such as Laguna Niguel, Corona del Mar, Costa Mesa, etc... perhaps not Laguna Beach though.

Alex_O

Reaction score
I feel Nonk has hit the nail on the head.

gorgekko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have found, in my limited experience that it is older women who will appreciate the well dressed man more, or at least will be open and vocalise it. (And I really enjoyed the attention) as they have developed a degree of personality and individualism that the younger ones lack.
This I completely agree with. MILFs love the fact that I'm dressed up...At the risk of turning this into the Do Nice Clothes Get You Laid thread, well, with MILFs they often do.

uppercase

Reaction score
Where are the women on this barren site when we need to ask them something.

gorgekko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Where are the women on this barren site when we need to ask them something.
Admiring men in casual clothes, where else?
biggrin.gif

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
it seems to me that, to a large extent, most of the posters here are asking "why don't atractive women find my collection of pocket squares/monkstrap shoes/cufflinks as attractive as I would like them too?" we are slaves to the idea that short dumpy men should be dating gorgeous tall blonds because we have some special "X" (insert your collection here).

for the most part, women are hard wired to find certain very logical things attractive, pretty much like men are hard wired to find certain things attractive. for men it is certain physical, social and mental traits that are directly related to child bearing, raising and nurturing, and for women it is certain physical, social and mental traits that are related to supporting a family. that's what is hard wired. then come all sorts of other, personal "quirks" that individuals have developed, sometimes even overriding what is hard wired. there is a twist to this, in that 98% of our evolution came in the days when we were hunter gatherers, so that while having broad shoulders might not effect your ability to support a family today, it is still percieved by our genetic background as such.

back to the question at hand - if being "stylish" implies that you are well off, economically, it should give you "attractive" points. it might not help overcome a great deal of physical unattractiveness, though. if it makes you look interesting, comfortable, stable or various other "attractive" traits then it will make you more attractive. if it accents your better physical features, making those features more attractive, then ditto.

if being "stylish" is a hobby that involves being very into isoteric elements of dress and spending much of your money on stuff that other people don't understand, then your average woman won't find it any more attractive than collecting baseball cards. especially if you talk about it with them. I can't imagine any woman being intersted in hearing stories about shoe lasts and 7 fold ties.

but the wild card here is that you might very well find women who have very similar tastes to your and who are very interested in you and your hobby, and who love your particular style. or, even better, a woman who loves you so much that she is intersted in your style no matter what that is like.

Alexis

Reaction score
Gentleman of the jury,

After having have read this discussion with great interest, I thought to add a few lines.

First off, know that I'm only speaking for myself, a woman of 24, single, college educated, who has taken enough hits that she no longer thinks she knows it all when it comes to men and relationships.

What I believe foremost is that all human interactions have the potential for limitless complexity.  People are sensitive and social creatures, and it is natural that they long to be together.

When I first meet a man, I am not primarily concerned with how he looks.  I focus more on how I feel in his presence.  If I feel like myself, if I can "be myself," then I naturally feel more open, and I will try to get to know him, and he will try to get to know me.  This phase of relationships is, for me, a slow and enjoyable process, albeit involves a great amount of risk in that I make myself vulnerable.

During the getting to know you phase, in the beginning, if I am comfortable, I will begin to take note of how a man looks.  In this forum, we are concerned with clothes, I understand.  Nevertheless, a man who has made me comfortable in his presence is one who--

makes eye contact
is comfortable in his own skin
has nothing to prove
is interested in getting to know me
actively listens
has a sense of humor
does not take himself too seriously

I grow more interested in a man if he--

is passionate about something, regardless of whether this passion has matured
is not trying to get me in to bed right from the starting line

Clothes become interesting to me if the man is interested in clothes.  I am sure there are a hundred variations for each variation of a woman, so again, let me emphasize, I speak only for myself.

What I fear for the dating men on this forum is that they aren't having the experiences they should be having with women because of this barrier called clothes.  That probably sounds a little weird.  What I mean to say is, clothes, looks, style, these things are secondary or tertiary to eye contact, being at ease, making others at ease in their presence.

My advice (oh, this is dangerous): dress in what makes you comfortable and get to know as many women as you can with no secondary agenda.  Is this a Zen trick?  Perhaps.  But just get yourself out there, get to know us, learn about us quirky, fascinating creatures, for that is what you are to us.  Once you've taken that step, I think a lot of the other stuff works itself out.

Perhaps this post is but a rehash of what others have said.  Sorry to drag you through it again.

Kisses.

nightowl6261a

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the other point that nobody touched here - if you are stylish, and you enjoy being so, what do you care if women love you for it or not? or, are you being stylish cause you think it will get you some?

with any luck, you will find the right person who loves you for the package you offer - if I did it, you can too.

Hear yea, hear yea, find the woman and the clothes will fit no matter what...everything in life seems to be too superficial today, my wife loved me when I was thin, she loved me when I was fat, and she loves me today just as I am...the clothes the man does not make, the man makes the clothes...style and fashion are overrated with concern to love, women and men should take the face value, and grow from that being, and if love is in the air, the prosperous life will bring out the fashion in every sense, only because the self confidence will draw esteem.

I must add an edit here: My apologies.
Kudos' to Alexis, a lady with emotions such as these is a true Lady at heart and one a man should be never self-conscience to be with.

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(globetrotter @ 14 Dec. 2004, 3:58) the other point that nobody touched here - if you are stylish, and you enjoy being so, what do you care if women love you for it or not? or, are you being stylish cause you think it will get you some? with any luck, you will find the right person who loves you for the package you offer - if I did it, you can too.
Hear yea, hear yea, find the woman and the clothes will fit no matter what...everything in life seems to be too superficial today, my wife loved me when I was thin, she loved me when I was fat, and she loves me today just as I am...the clothes the man does not make, the man makes the clothes...style and fashion are overated with concern to love, women and men should take the face value, and grow from that being, and if love is in the air, the prosperous life will bring out the fashion in every sense, only because the self confidence will draw esteem.
I think advice has to be given carefully. globetrotter and nightowl6261a have it right from a certain perspective, but if the guy's intent is to "pick up chicks," and he is not looking for a life partner, then all the "fashion advice" changes necessarily.

nightowl6261a

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think advice has to be given carefully.  globetrotter and nightowl6261a have it right from a certain perspective, but if the guy's intent is to "pick up chicks," and he is not looking for a life partner, then all the "fashion advice" changes necessarily.
Though johnapril may be right in this thought, the deliberately bad intent is the idea of "picking up chicks', maybe that is where my old age and longevity of marriage comes into play, I have not dated in so long that any idea of "hooking up or picking up" is alien to my mind set. At my aqe, if I were ever in a dating sense again, and from my mouth to Gods' ear I will not be, I think a closer relationship would be more for my horizon.

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(johnapril @ 15 Dec. 2004, 09:50) I think advice has to be given carefully. Â globetrotter and nightowl6261a have it right from a certain perspective, but if the guy's intent is to "pick up chicks," and he is not looking for a life partner, then all the "fashion advice" changes necessarily.
Though johnapril may be right in this thought, the deliberately bad intent is the idea of "picking up chicks', maybe that is where my old age and longevity of marriage comes into play, I have not dated in so long that any idea of "hooking up or picking up" is alien to my mind set. At my aqe, if I were ever in a dating sense again, and from my mouth to Gods' ear I will not be, I think a closer relationship would be more for my horizon.
I didn't mean to contradict. Just to keep another perspective open. Not all men in Shakespeare had honorable intentions.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads