• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do Women Really Love Stylish men?

Brian SD

Reaction score
(LA Guy @ 14 Dec. 2004, 4:46) Your sister was being nice. I would say that her comment was that you tend to be overdressed for the occasion, and maybe tend to be a little uptight. I'm not saying that you ought to conform to the uniform, but you could wear something classy, but a little more toned down and relaxed than your avatar (well dressed for sure; but his expression suggests that he needs some Metamucil, pronto). Try corduroy or moleskin jackets instead of wool, and classic jeans with a cashmere longsleeve knit. And wear good quality, but old and well used shoes instead of immaculate Lattanzi's. It will make you more look more laidback; and you'll be surprised that you'll even feel a little more relaxed.
I think you'd be surprised to find out that I'm hardly overdressed considering the milieu. As I said, I go to high-end bars, not sports bars. I'm not walking in wearing Kiton, Alexander Kabbaz and Lattanzi complete with seven fold tie and beautiful pocket square -- I'm walking in wearing a casual sport jacket, pants and shoes or a suit and shirt with no tie. If that's overdressed then fine, I'll live with it. I'm not wearing jeans. As for "little uptight"? Ha ha, no. No one who knows me would ever say that. Being laidback is my life.
I'm a bit surprised at what I'm reading on this thread. Truly, personality and humor matter exponentially more than clothing, but I've never encountered a woman who thinks a good dresser is intimidating (that takes some hella insecurity). Of course, overdressing will make you appear uptight, but if Gorgekko is in a bar wearing a sport coat and trousers, girls aren't just going to run away in fear. Maybe the pants could drop an inch or two so that they aren't getting sweatstains from one's pits, but that should be enough. Secondly, Why would you dress poorly to make girls think that they have power over you in some area? From what I've learned, allowing the girl to think she has "power over you" in ANY area is a bad idea. Women don't respect submissive personalities (in clothing or not). Even if every single girl in the world is intimidated by sharp dressing (or being "stylish," which I see nothing wrong with), all you have to do is say "Hey" and show that you're relaxed, because in my experience, words speak louder than lapels.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Where is Alexis when we need her most?

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll throw my 2 cents into this one; I've noticed that women are born with two basic inherited traits:

1. An appreciation for the Little Blue Box with White Bow/ anything that arrives in said Box that comes from a certain store based in NYC, multiple US locations.
2. Women that live in cities instinctively know the Burberry plaid.

I've also noticed women have an eye for details, and are very judgemental-- sometimes very critical of a man's shoes and wristwatch (especially if it is a fake). At close range, I've noticed most women appreciate stitching, nicely rolled lapels, and lux cloth (they will sometimes touch the latter two).

Given that, I would say most of the guys on the forum, like myself, have noticed a woman checking us out when we break out our best suit/ shirt/ tie combos-- especially if you suspect it is probably of better quality than the other men in the room.

--This post sponsored in part by the stitches and buttonholes
of Brioni

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I note in reply to my earlier post on page 2 of this thread, "Globetrotter" said that my comments sounded like my comments were not those of someone who "really likes women." Well, of course not. "Liking women" is an insipid feeling suitable for gay hairdressers. I believe the normal lusty heterosexual male loves and hates women with almost equal passion. Except perhaps for those innocent souls who marry their childhood sweethearts, any guy who has been in Singleland for very long has got to feel a tremendous amount of rage toward women...just as they doubtless do toward us.

As I once remarked to my best friend, "The worst thing about being heterosexual is women."

TheRookie

Reaction score
The typical woman at a bar is evaluating your physical appearance first and foremost (your appearance, not that of your clothes). If you clear this hurdle, she might talk to you and your personality becomes important.

A woman deadset on only leaving the bar with Brad Pitt isn't going to talk to Steve Buscemi, even if the former is clad in burlap and the later in bespoke Kiton.

I'm all for maximizing one's appearance and I think the effort put in appeals to women (as does the end product), but I doubt that one's clothes can do much more than augment looks and personality in most cases.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think it just depends, some women are looking for money in which case the attire (and accessories) are quite important.

gorgekko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have no basis from which to judge other than your posts, so I could be completely off the mark. On the other hand, I know hardly anyone (in my real, day-to-day life) who disdains to wear jeans ever.
I meant when going out weekend nights. I am comfortable wearing jeans every day...in fact, I'm wearing a pair right now. In fact, Brian will be pleased to learn they're nowhere near my armpits. I think people are taking my comments wildly out of context here. For the record, I'm like every other cat in a bar...I talk to the ladies, they talk to me, we all have a great deal of fun. I just do it wearing what I wear. It was my sister who said women might be intimidated by what I wear. I've never said that.

jekv12

Reaction score
Rather interesting. The thread started with a question about women loving or liking stylish men and many of the responses talk about bars and getting laid. A bit of difference there, I think... a few responses did mention personality, humor, confidence, et al which I think is more in line with a longer term relationship (like or love). Or maybe I am getting old. As far as who dresses better/who should be intimitated, the man or the woman: "The role of the male is to serve as the unobtrusive background for the eye-arresting splendour of his companion. All it takes are a few simple outfits. And there's one secret - the simpler the better." Cary Grant, 1952, as quoted in Walker's Savile Row An Illustrated History.

Brian SD

Reaction score
I think it just depends, some women are looking for money in which case the attire (and accessories) are quite important.
And those women are not even worth saying hello to. Funny the irony in that: they want money + they are worthless.

To the last poster, I do not think this thread has derailed whatsoever, and I would argue that while Cary Grant is undoubtedly a style icon, his clothing (that for which he is known) obviously contradicts his own statement.

Reaction score
Women are attracted to manliness, by that I don't mean style, style is great, but there are A LOT of other things they're attracted to that I will not even mention since this isn't a dating site.
confused.gif
*cough* Gold diggers *cough*

Alex_O

Reaction score
I would assume stylish women enjoy stylish men.
On the other hand It would seem commonsensical that women with litle style or litle need for style would feel alienated by a stylish man.

If you dress in a manner to be divided from the mass you may have to change your surroundings because it goes to figure that the women of the mass may find you foreign.

scnupe7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would assume stylish women enjoy stylish men.
I completely disagree. Some of the most stylish or well dressed women I see are with slouches.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
drizzt3117 remarks, "Some women are looking for money..." Yeah, about 98% of them. The sad fact is that if you arrive on a date in an $80,000 car and are dressed in apparel from The Gap, with maybe a $10,000 wristwatch on your T-shirt clad arm, you will probably do a good deal better with the vast majority of women than if you arrived in a $25,000 car but clad by Brioni or one of the stalwarts of Savile Row. drizzt3117, you're a SoCal boy. You should know this fact better than most

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Well, assuming you are meeting her in a bar, and it's not Swingers where the woman in question doesn't ask you "what do you drive?" than her first impression of you will be what you are wearing... (again, especially accessories)

Brian SD

Reaction score
drizzt3117 remarks, "Some women are looking for money..." Yeah, about 98% of them. The sad fact is that if you arrive on a date in an $80,000 car and are dressed in apparel from The Gap, with maybe a $10,000 wristwatch on your T-shirt clad arm, you will probably do a good deal better with the vast majority of women than if you arrived in a $25,000 car but clad by Brioni or one of the stalwarts of Savile Row. drizzt3117, you're a SoCal boy. You should know this fact better than most
Man, where do you go to meet women? 98%?. I hope that is you being extremely sarcastic. I'd say maybe 5-10% are looking for money. Hell, that's better than 50%+ of guys who are looking for a stellar beauty.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads