1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Denim and Denim?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Tck13, Apr 26, 2006.

1. Tck13

Tck13 Well-Known Member

I have been tossing around getting a motorcycle. Wearing denim jeans is a given but what about denim jeans and a denim jacket?

This could look good or really, really bad. Opinions? Any other suggestions?

I am mainly talking about warmer to hot weather. I think I would wear something like this for the summer -

http://www.vansonleathers.com/produc...ackets/vx3.htm

2. denimdestroyedmylife

denimdestroyedmylife Well-Known Member

I sport the texas tuxedo at every opportunity. I've got a 1969 Levi 70505, my only vintage denim piece. That said, the color is very different from any of my jeans.

I guess it depends what part of the country you are from. I imagine that in the middle of the US, wearing a jean jacket and jeans wouldn't elicit a second look. On the coasts, maybe you would be gawked at just a little.

3. whoopee

whoopee Well-Known Member

I don't like the look but more importantly you should get a jacket that will protect you when you ride.

4. Brian SD

Brian SD Well-Known Member

Get a really heavy leather jacket from Aero, Belstaff or the other one that starts with V.

5. Aureus

Aureus Well-Known Member

I have been tossing around getting a motorcycle. Wearing denim jeans is a given but what about denim jeans and a denim jacket?

This could look good or really, really bad. Opinions? Any other suggestions?

I am mainly talking about warmer to hot weather. I think I would wear something like this for the summer -

http://www.vansonleathers.com/produc...ackets/vx3.htm

Full Leathers or equivalent synthetics. No excuses. No exceptions. Denim has no place on a motorcycle.

6. whoopee

whoopee Well-Known Member

Pretty ugly though.

7. Aureus

Aureus Well-Known Member

Denim is shit doesn't belong on a motorcycle. The piece you linked to is not denim.

8. Get Smart

Get Smart Well-Known Member

I dig denim/denim....as long as both pieces are seriously awesome. A Gap denim jacket and Banana R jeans doesnt look good to me. But something unique like a Levis 506xx and, for example, a good classic 501 repro looks great.

9. Aureus

Aureus Well-Known Member

Just for the people who don't follow or read links, the link denimdestroyedmylife linked to are 'draggin' jeans. 100% kevlar. There are actual denim motorcycle jeans, which are borderline useless and priced as such (less than 100 dollars). If you want to be safe you need leathers or a synthetic. Like Kevlar for instance.

Style obviously has its place and all of us here have some interest in it. But on the back of a motorcycle is not that place. You can try to look good in the various suits and leathers that are sold for them, and you can easily accomplish that. But sacrificing saftey for style is not a sane decesion.

10. BourbonAndPeanuts

BourbonAndPeanuts Well-Known Member

I dig denim/denim....as long as both pieces are seriously awesome. A Gap denim jacket and Banana R jeans doesnt look good to me. But something unique like a Levis 506xx and, for example, a good classic 501 repro looks great.

Hey everyone. I'm new to the forum, so hopefully my questions don't sound stupid to you all.
    Where can I find a Levis 506xx or something similar (maybe a repro)? For that matter, where can I find a pair of LVC 1947 501xx? I've seen some selvage 501's at a Levis store near me but couldn't tell if it was 1947. The salesman didn't know either. Thanks for your help.

11. Get Smart

Get Smart Well-Known Member

Hey everyone. I'm new to the forum, so hopefully my questions don't sound stupid to you all.
    Where can I find a Levis 506xx or something similar (maybe a repro)? For that matter, where can I find a pair of LVC 1947 501xx? I've seen some selvage 501's at a Levis store near me but couldn't tell if it was 1947. The salesman didn't know either. Thanks for your help.

The 506xx jackets are hard to find these days. Here's a link to History Preservation that has a Japanese repro of the 506xx, as well as the now famous Sugarcane 1947 501 repro jeans. If you saw selvage 501s they were *probably* 1947s since that's the most popular model to repro, if I'm not mistaken.

History Preservation

12. BourbonAndPeanuts

BourbonAndPeanuts Well-Known Member

Thanks. I really like that jacket.

13. Tck13

Tck13 Well-Known Member

Denim is shit doesn't belong on a motorcycle. The piece you linked to is not denim.

I am aware that the link is not denim. As I said in the original thread, that is what I would probably wear for summer, 95 degree riding. I am comfortable wearing something like that jacket for the summer (with jeans).

From the link:

"The Vent Max is made of 1000 denier knitted Cordura nylon mesh, with an athletic nylon mesh lining. Internal leather panels at the elbow and shoulder impact zones. Low bulk leather bead style collar and cuffs. This item is available in black only, with metallic silver metalic Vanson ovals. The minimum of weight for worst-case-heat. Very cool, very cool looking."

Get a really heavy leather jacket from Aero, Belstaff or the other one that starts with V.

Do you mind wearing that during the summer months? I have one for the winter but I'd rather wear something lighter (like I linked) for 95 degree heat...

14. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member

Funny you mention that 506XX. Jay just gave me a S506XX from LVC he had lying around. It's the right size around the shoulders, but maybe a little big around the torso. Should I rinse to shrink it? I have no idea - I've never bought a raw denim jacket before. Which is wierd, considering how long I've worn, say, APC jeans. I will probably wear it as a layering piece under a military jacket.

15. Aureus

Aureus Well-Known Member

I am aware that the link is not denim.
    I never said anything in regards to your link. If you care to read my post, you can see it is directed at 'denimdestroyedmylife' and jeans. Not the jacket you suggested. In relation to the jacket you linked to, I like it. Looks fairly good IMO.

16. Brian SD

Brian SD Well-Known Member

Funny you mention that 506XX. Jay just gave me a S506XX from LVC he had lying around. It's the right size around the shoulders, but maybe a little big around the torso. Should I rinse to shrink it? I have no idea - I've never bought a raw denim jacket before. Which is wierd, considering how long I've worn, say, APC jeans. I will probably wear it as a layering piece under a military jacket.

LVC 506XX will definitely shrink almost a full size.. I would do a warm soak to get all of the shrinkage out.

17. Luc-Emmanuel

Luc-Emmanuel Well-Known Member

Link to a crappy cropped pic of my "denim tuxedo":

[​IMG]

!luc

18. cheapmutha

cheapmutha Well-Known Member

heres mine, vintage big yank jacket.
    [​IMG]

19. denimdestroyedmylife

denimdestroyedmylife Well-Known Member

Here's my 70505 w/ RRDS to complete the trinity-----dibs on holy ghost [​IMG]