• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Denim and Denim?

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have been tossing around getting a motorcycle. Wearing denim jeans is a given but what about denim jeans and a denim jacket?

This could look good or really, really bad. Opinions? Any other suggestions?

I am mainly talking about warmer to hot weather. I think I would wear something like this for the summer -

http://www.vansonleathers.com/produc...ackets/vx3.htm

Reaction score
I sport the texas tuxedo at every opportunity. I've got a 1969 Levi 70505, my only vintage denim piece. That said, the color is very different from any of my jeans.

I guess it depends what part of the country you are from. I imagine that in the middle of the US, wearing a jean jacket and jeans wouldn't elicit a second look. On the coasts, maybe you would be gawked at just a little.

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't like the look but more importantly you should get a jacket that will protect you when you ride.

Brian SD

Reaction score
Get a really heavy leather jacket from Aero, Belstaff or the other one that starts with V.

Aureus

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tck13
I have been tossing around getting a motorcycle. Wearing denim jeans is a given but what about denim jeans and a denim jacket?

This could look good or really, really bad. Opinions? Any other suggestions?

I am mainly talking about warmer to hot weather. I think I would wear something like this for the summer -

http://www.vansonleathers.com/produc...ackets/vx3.htm

Full Leathers or equivalent synthetics. No excuses. No exceptions. Denim has no place on a motorcycle.

Aureus

Reaction score
Denim is **** doesn't belong on a motorcycle. The piece you linked to is not denim.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
I dig denim/denim....as long as both pieces are seriously awesome. A Gap denim jacket and Banana R jeans doesnt look good to me. But something unique like a Levis 506xx and, for example, a good classic 501 repro looks great.

Aureus

Reaction score
Just for the people who don't follow or read links, the link denimdestroyedmylife linked to are 'draggin' jeans. 100% kevlar. There are actual denim motorcycle jeans, which are borderline useless and priced as such (less than 100 dollars). If you want to be safe you need leathers or a synthetic. Like Kevlar for instance.

Style obviously has its place and all of us here have some interest in it. But on the back of a motorcycle is not that place. You can try to look good in the various suits and leathers that are sold for them, and you can easily accomplish that. But sacrificing saftey for style is not a sane decesion.

BourbonAndPeanuts

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
I dig denim/denim....as long as both pieces are seriously awesome. A Gap denim jacket and Banana R jeans doesnt look good to me. But something unique like a Levis 506xx and, for example, a good classic 501 repro looks great.

Hey everyone. I'm new to the forum, so hopefully my questions don't sound stupid to you all.
Where can I find a Levis 506xx or something similar (maybe a repro)? For that matter, where can I find a pair of LVC 1947 501xx? I've seen some selvage 501's at a Levis store near me but couldn't tell if it was 1947. The salesman didn't know either. Thanks for your help.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BourbonAndPeanuts
Hey everyone. I'm new to the forum, so hopefully my questions don't sound stupid to you all.
Where can I find a Levis 506xx or something similar (maybe a repro)? For that matter, where can I find a pair of LVC 1947 501xx? I've seen some selvage 501's at a Levis store near me but couldn't tell if it was 1947. The salesman didn't know either. Thanks for your help.

The 506xx jackets are hard to find these days. Here's a link to History Preservation that has a Japanese repro of the 506xx, as well as the now famous Sugarcane 1947 501 repro jeans. If you saw selvage 501s they were *probably* 1947s since that's the most popular model to repro, if I'm not mistaken.

History Preservation

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Aureus
Denim is **** doesn't belong on a motorcycle. The piece you linked to is not denim.

I am aware that the link is not denim. As I said in the original thread, that is what I would probably wear for summer, 95 degree riding. I am comfortable wearing something like that jacket for the summer (with jeans).

From the link:

"The Vent Max is made of 1000 denier knitted Cordura nylon mesh, with an athletic nylon mesh lining. Internal leather panels at the elbow and shoulder impact zones. Low bulk leather bead style collar and cuffs. This item is available in black only, with metallic silver metalic Vanson ovals. The minimum of weight for worst-case-heat. Very cool, very cool looking."

Originally Posted by Brian SD
Get a really heavy leather jacket from Aero, Belstaff or the other one that starts with V.

Do you mind wearing that during the summer months? I have one for the winter but I'd rather wear something lighter (like I linked) for 95 degree heat...

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart

Funny you mention that 506XX. Jay just gave me a S506XX from LVC he had lying around. It's the right size around the shoulders, but maybe a little big around the torso. Should I rinse to shrink it? I have no idea - I've never bought a raw denim jacket before. Which is wierd, considering how long I've worn, say, APC jeans. I will probably wear it as a layering piece under a military jacket.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads