• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Denim 101 for Men's Clothing

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those jeans don't look very flattering on you, Mr. Moo

Pio, so you need a jeans with 38" waist and 27"-28" thighs, right ? If so, you should be able to find a lot of options.

Ironheart 634 has a waist of of 38 and thigh of 14". You could also check out Flathead F380, and if you want a slightly slimmer thigh, RJB 105BSP - Straight

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bradford
Those days ended when you joined this forum.

ffffuuuu.gif

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Jeans look fine to me Moo. My raw denims fit the same way at size 34s and they are straight legs. Jeans at the waist size are cut generously compared to you chicks that can get away with size 30s and below.

Some consulting guy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by max_r
the APC thread in sw&d is like 350 pages long, and almost all sizing questions, but the general consensus is size down 1 to 3" depending on your build and the kind of fit you want.

they are vanity sized (meaning the tagged size is 2 smaller than the measured size, for instance, the size 30 measures 32 on the waistband) and they will stretch out 2 to 3 inches pretty quick. mine stretched out 1.5" in the first day, and 3" overall. (i wear a size 28 new standard and i measure 33" around my hips where i wear my jeans)

i got my first pair (a pair of 30's which i later realized were too big and changed for a pair of 28's) from http://www.contextclothing.com/item.php?id=6 they have great service, highly recommended. they have a measurement chart there, and I'd say its accurate except for the thigh measurement, it seems that their thigh measurements are done about 1" down from the crotch.

Thanks for the info. Thats what I was after. I am usually a 32, so think I will try a 30 in the APC.

I haven't used contextclothing.com before, but will take a good look at them.

DrZRM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll second whoever said Iron Heart 634S above, or KMW 1950, but I'd try on the 36 waist in both of these brands if I were you. Order from Kiya at Self Edge and you can return them if they are too small (don't have the inseam adjusted until you are sure of the waist). Most denim measures much bigger than it's tagged, I'm a 38 waist in dress pants, and almost all denim fits best in a 36 (Levi LVC, Iron Heart, 5EP, KMW) and a few brands actually work in 35 (Somet 003 and I got a second pair of IH 634S in 35 for a different fit). in fact only in my Sugar Cane Okinawas do I fit an honest 38. You might actually look at Sugar Cane Okinawas too in a 38, their thighs are 13.6" and their denim is really nice. Just so you know, I don't wear skinny jeans at all, 36 fits comfortably (if a bit snug) off the rack, but within a few wears they stretch out to a perfect fit at the waist.
Originally Posted by Piobaire
Okay gents, going to put myself out there for advice on some fashionable denim. As regular readers know, I just dropped #50. I'm 5'11.5", 32" inseam, 38" waist and running about 206#. My calves are what I would deem "normal" but my thighs are still on brawny side. When I was cycling heavily they were a ridiculous 33" and today they are 25". Given my waist is still a chunky 38 and my thighs are retaining some size from my hockey and cycling years, is there anything out there to fit me? Should I wait until I see if I can get the waist down to 36"? I'm not sure if I'm going to get to 36" or not and even if I do, I don't think I'll lose size around my thighs. In fact, as I'm getting more active, I might add an inch or so over the next year.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DrZRM
I'll second whoever said Iron Heart 634S above, or KMW 1950, but I'd try on the 36 waist in both of these brands if I were you. Order from Kiya at Self Edge and you can return them if they are too small (don't have the inseam adjusted until you are sure of the waist). Most denim measures much bigger than it's tagged, I'm a 38 waist in dress pants, and almost all denim fits best in a 36 (Levi LVC, Iron Heart, 5EP, KMW) and a few brands actually work in 35 (Somet 003 and I got a second pair of IH 634S in 35 for a different fit). in fact only in my Sugar Cane Okinawas do I fit an honest 38. You might actually look at Sugar Cane Okinawas too in a 38, their thighs are 13.6" and their denim is really nice. Just so you know, I don't wear skinny jeans at all, 36 fits comfortably (if a bit snug) off the rack, but within a few wears they stretch out to a perfect fit at the waist.

Pio does not deserve such detailed advice.

He should just get the Nudies like I noted earlier, and then return to the subject of denim when he concludes his journey back to Slim Jim density.

- B

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aj_del
Vox, any codes for other jeans at Selfedge ?

AFAIK, that's their only one. But, they are the kind of retailer where full price should be supported without further thought. Even at a distance, their service and product knowledge are great.

- B

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
What happened to the days of just buying some jeans?
confused.gif

you can still do it, but not necessarily post it...
cheers.gif

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How do these look on me ? Picture looks odd probably because wife took picture from too near.
FH4-2.jpg

BlueWord

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Some consulting guy
Yes, thats what I have been thinking. I have searched the forum, but still have 2 questions: Where is the best place to buy them currently? What is the consensus with sizing? I read one or two sizes down from usual sizing for APC, but also read they will stretch a bit with wear? Thanks
APC NS sizing works roughly like this; subtract two from your waist size, and then an additional size if you want to account for the stretching in the jeans. I recommend sizing down three as, in my experience, this will eventually produce the best fit. They'll definitely be snug out of the box, but APC's stretch significantly; don't panic if they seem too small. A good rule of thumb is, if you can button all of the buttons except the top one, or have to really strain to button it, then you're good. As for where to buy, there are several places - a google search should point you in the right direction. Personally, I recommend http://www.contextclothing.com/ for their excellent service. They also recently restocked on APC NS, so they have a bunch of sizes. EDIT: Looks like you may have already gotten some help on this.

daruma

Reaction score
Originally Posted by aj_del
How do these look on me ? Picture looks odd probably because wife took picture from too near.

FH4-2.jpg

not re: the jeans but please roll your sleeves up more. if you're gonna roll it up, roll it up.

Some consulting guy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by BlueWord
APC NS sizing works roughly like this; subtract two from your waist size, and then an additional size if you want to account for the stretching in the jeans. I recommend sizing down three as, in my experience, this will eventually produce the best fit. They'll definitely be snug out of the box, but APC's stretch significantly; don't panic if they seem too small. A good rule of thumb is, if you can button all of the buttons except the top one, or have to really strain to button it, then you're good.

As for where to buy, there are several places - a google search should point you in the right direction. Personally, I recommend http://www.contextclothing.com/ for their excellent service. They also recently restocked on APC NS, so they have a bunch of sizes.

EDIT: Looks like you may have already gotten some help on this.

Thanks for the info. Its still good to hear much the same thing from 2 different sources.

Based on the advise I have received, I took a look at the contextclothing web site. Unfortunately, the size 30 I am thinking will be the right fit seems to be the only size they dont have in stock.

So far, Tobi is the only plce I can find with the APC NS in stock. I thought I had lucked out when they sent me a 20% coupon yesterday, but APC was excluded in the fine print.

Sander

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here's a third opinion: I have APC NS in both sized down 3 and sized down 2. I like 2 waay better. 3 is quite tight, 2 looks a lot more classic.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads