• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Denim 101 for Men's Clothing

Spatlese

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr. Moo
Vox I hate you because I want every one of those jeans, jackets and boots. How old are you?

He grows old ... he grows old ...\t
He shall wear the bottoms of his trousers rolled.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr. Moo
Vox I hate you because I want every one of those jeans, jackets and boots. How old are you?

There are so many valid reasons to hate me. I'm 46.

Originally Posted by gnatty8
I like that jacket a lot, fits well and the color/pattern is not something you see very often.. Interestingly, I had a pair of Armani Collezioni trousers that had a similar color/pattern in a flannel.

I find it impossible to hate Armani 100%. Maybe 99%, although it used to be 98% when Phat Guido was in his Armani phase.

Originally Posted by Spatlese
He grows old ... he grows old ...\t
He shall wear the bottoms of his trousers rolled.

I ate many a peach.

- B

Spatlese

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
I ate many a peach.

- B

Finally...the secret behind your above-average fitness level and quickness of phrase

A Guy from Shanghai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My latest efforts. Denim experts, please critique.

001.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cchen
On hemming: Seems like you don't want cuffs. So you have two choices - stacking or hemming. It seems that the general MC concensus is that they don't like stacking. Personally, I like stacking on skinny jeans but it doesn't work for everyone. Its also best when the jeans are tapered, and of course with the right footwear as well.

Some suggestions: 5EP, RRL, APC New Standard

could you pls elaborate on what's the "right footwear"? i just acquired a pair of skinny Dior Hommes, and i think the stacking looks pretty stupid with the boots i planned to wear with them. now i'm thinking of having them hemmed as well...

cchen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In general, I prefer narrower shoes if I'm going to stack. Casually that means chucks and the like. Boots something narrow like paul smith

contaygious

Reaction score
I'm having a really hard time finding a nice pair of jeans that are long enough for me because I'm 6'8. Any ideas? I have a few pairs I love, but when I tuck a shirt in and pull it up a bit then they are too short
frown.gif

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
ande whall is a small denim market who will custom make inseam lengths up to 48"

other than that diors and some japanese brands come in around the 38" mark

bmulford

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
There are so many valid reasons to hate me. I'm 36.

I find it impossible to hate Armani 100%. Maybe 99%, although it used to be 98% when Phat Guido was in his Armani phase.

I ate many a peach.

- B

You had a typo - fixed it for you.

laphroaig

Reaction score
Originally Posted by contaygious
I'm having a really hard time finding a nice pair of jeans that are long enough for me because I'm 6'8. Any ideas? I have a few pairs I love, but when I tuck a shirt in and pull it up a bit then they are too short
frown.gif

You might be after these 39" inseam Eternals then.. http://blueingreensoho.com/site/inde...mart&Itemid=28 Most of the Samurai jean models have 38" inseams too... http://blueingreensoho.com/site/inde...mart&Itemid=28 Because of the very strong Yen, the prices are ridiculous right now.

contaygious

Reaction score
Thanks for the tips, it's really hard for me to buy jeans without trying them on though. I'm actually a 34 inseam, but 46 outseam. I'm not sure if I can pull off diors because they may be too slim and tapered for me, but I'll take a look. I hate being in Canada as I have such limited denim options.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
cchen - i forgot to thank you for the advice above. i appreciate it!

not a big fan of chucks so i guess it's the narrower stuff on my shoe rack for now...

rioni

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks abit too baggy for my taste.

A Guy from Shanghai;1734414 said:
My latest efforts. Denim experts, please critique.

laphroaig

Reaction score
Originally Posted by contaygious
Thanks for the tips, it's really hard for me to buy jeans without trying them on though.
A 34" inseam seems really short for someone 6'5". Since you're located in SF, go visit Self Edge and try a few on. I don't think they stock Samurai but some of the other Japanese brands come with 37-38 inch inseams that should still be around 36" after shrinkage.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads