1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Denim 101 for Men's Clothing

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by kaxixi, Dec 2, 2008.

1. Piobaire

Piobaire Well-Known Member

Okay gents, going to put myself out there for advice on some fashionable denim. As regular readers know, I just dropped #50. I'm 5'11.5", 32" inseam, 38" waist and running about 206#. My calves are what I would deem "normal" but my thighs are still on brawny side. When I was cycling heavily they were a ridiculous 33" and today they are 25".

Given my waist is still a chunky 38 and my thighs are retaining some size from my hockey and cycling years, is there anything out there to fit me? Should I wait until I see if I can get the waist down to 36"? I'm not sure if I'm going to get to 36" or not and even if I do, I don't think I'll lose size around my thighs. In fact, as I'm getting more active, I might add an inch or so over the next year.

2. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Well-Known Member

Pio what kind of cycling did you do? Track?

I might be forced to put you on the "awesome" list if so.

- B

3. Piobaire

Pio what kind of cycling did you do? Track?

I might be forced to put you on the "awesome" list if so.

- B

No, took up road cycling after some knee problems from hockey. I was a fairly dedicated weekend warrior in the late 90s. An organized century ride almost every Saturday and base miles and crit style short rides during the week. One event I used to go to was the "Ididaride" in Adrian, Michigan. A century+ ride, every day, for four days. Great fun to eat all the pasta I wanted and be lean.

I have not road cycled for a decade and have only puttered about on gravel/paved trails on a hardtail GT intermittently. I plan to get out 1-2 times a week by the end of this year.

So, any jeans? Er, denim?

4. max_r

max_r Well-Known Member

Yes, thats what I have been thinking. I have searched the forum, but still have 2 questions:

Where is the best place to buy them currently?

What is the consensus with sizing? I read one or two sizes down from usual sizing for APC, but also read they will stretch a bit with wear?

Thanks

the APC thread in sw&d is like 350 pages long, and almost all sizing questions, but the general consensus is size down 1 to 3" depending on your build and the kind of fit you want.

they are vanity sized (meaning the tagged size is 2 smaller than the measured size, for instance, the size 30 measures 32 on the waistband) and they will stretch out 2 to 3 inches pretty quick. mine stretched out 1.5" in the first day, and 3" overall. (i wear a size 28 new standard and i measure 33" around my hips where i wear my jeans)

i got my first pair (a pair of 30's which i later realized were too big and changed for a pair of 28's) from http://www.contextclothing.com/item.php?id=6 they have great service, highly recommended. they have a measurement chart there, and I'd say its accurate except for the thigh measurement, it seems that their thigh measurements are done about 1" down from the crotch.

5. clotheshorse69

clotheshorse69 Well-Known Member

I didn't know putting on a pair of jeans could be so difficult... [​IMG]

6. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Well-Known Member

No, took up road cycling after some knee problems from hockey. I was a fairly dedicated weekend warrior in the late 90s. An organized century ride almost every Saturday and base miles and crit style short rides during the week. One event I used to go to was the "Ididaride" in Adrian, Michigan. A century+ ride, every day, for four days. Great fun to eat all the pasta I wanted and be lean.

I have not road cycled for a decade and have only puttered about on gravel/paved trails on a hardtail GT intermittently. I plan to get out 1-2 times a week by the end of this year.

That is all very interesting, but I am afraid it does not get you on the awesome list.

As for jeans: I suggest Nudie Easy Emils for you.

Code "StyleForumNudies" for 25% off.

Why do I suggest them for you? I refuse to say.

- B

7. Piobaire

That is all very interesting, but I am afraid it does not get you on the awesome list. As for jeans: I suggest Nudie Easy Emils for you. Code "StyleForumNudies" for 25% off. Why do I suggest them for you? I refuse to say. - B
    Well, I had hopes for a moment, but did not really think I would make the awesome list. Thank you for the suggestion, I will look into them. Wait, wut? Does that sizing chart say the thighs are 13.7" in diameter or length? :roma:

8. max_r

max_r Well-Known Member

Well, I had hopes for a moment, but did not really think I would make the awesome list. Thank you for the suggestion, I will look into them.

Wait, wut? Does that sizing chart say the thighs are 13.7" in diameter or length? :roma:

measured flat across

[​IMG]

9. Piobaire

measured flat across

[​IMG]

Ah, thanks. So they should fit me then?

That Vox, always looking out for me. [​IMG]

10. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Well-Known Member

11. zalb916

zalb916 Well-Known Member

So, any jeans? Er, denim?

If you wanted to do the raw denim thing without spending a fortune, you can try APC Rescues. They are cut more generously than the other APC styles the skinny boys on here like.

12. Piobaire

If you wanted to do the raw denim thing without spending a fortune, you can try APC Rescues. They are cut more generously than the other APC styles the skinny boys on here like.

Thanks, will check it out.

What happened to the days of just buying some jeans? [​IMG]

13. Bradford

Bradford Well-Known Member

What happened to the days of just buying some jeans? [​IMG]

Those days ended when you joined this forum.

14. Tarmac

Tarmac Well-Known Member

http://i48.tinypic.com/2ut3u5v.jpg

Oh no, it looks like you have entered into 12-year old boy appearance category. A common error when MC does streetwear

15. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Well-Known Member

Oh no, it looks like you have entered into 12-year old boy appearance category. A common error when MC does streetwear

lulz, as opposed to most of MC when they do MC and look 80

16. aj_del

aj_del Well-Known Member

Those jeans don't look very flattering on you, Mr. Moo

Pio, so you need a jeans with 38" waist and 27"-28" thighs, right ? If so, you should be able to find a lot of options.

Ironheart 634 has a waist of of 38 and thigh of 14". You could also check out Flathead F380, and if you want a slightly slimmer thigh, RJB 105BSP - Straight

17. aj_del

aj_del Well-Known Member

Code "StyleForumNudies" for 25% off.

Vox, any codes for other jeans at Selfedge ?

18. Piobaire

Those days ended when you joined this forum.

[​IMG]

19. teddieriley

teddieriley Well-Known Member

Jeans look fine to me Moo. My raw denims fit the same way at size 34s and they are straight legs. Jeans at the waist size are cut generously compared to you chicks that can get away with size 30s and below.

20. Some consulting guy

Some consulting guy Active Member

the APC thread in sw&d is like 350 pages long, and almost all sizing questions, but the general consensus is size down 1 to 3" depending on your build and the kind of fit you want.

they are vanity sized (meaning the tagged size is 2 smaller than the measured size, for instance, the size 30 measures 32 on the waistband) and they will stretch out 2 to 3 inches pretty quick. mine stretched out 1.5" in the first day, and 3" overall. (i wear a size 28 new standard and i measure 33" around my hips where i wear my jeans)

i got my first pair (a pair of 30's which i later realized were too big and changed for a pair of 28's) from http://www.contextclothing.com/item.php?id=6 they have great service, highly recommended. they have a measurement chart there, and I'd say its accurate except for the thigh measurement, it seems that their thigh measurements are done about 1" down from the crotch.

Thanks for the info. Thats what I was after. I am usually a 32, so think I will try a 30 in the APC.

I haven't used contextclothing.com before, but will take a good look at them.