• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Denim 101 for Men's Clothing

randallr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Harris
The rise does seem to drop precipitously in the smaller sizes. 10.75" for a 36 isn't bad at all. 11-11.5" is perfect for me in a size 38-40.

In your MC fit pics it doesnt seem like your waist is that big at all. Huh.

spatten

Reaction score
Appreciate all the info in this thread. Looking for a suggestion for a new pair of jeans. I used to be a competitive dancer and have tremendous quads and a rather prominent bum. Unfortunately, after stopping, I put on a lot of weight and am wearing a size 38 dress pant (6'2, 240lbs). Do I have to find a size larger than this because of shrinkage?

I like the idea of dark jeans I can dress up a bit, and the heavier denims seem appealling also. Unfortunately, I'm in the middle of Iowa and can't really try much on, so it would have to be internet.

My ideal budget would be under 200$, but I'm flexible.

Any suggestions on where to start?

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by spatten
Appreciate all the info in this thread. Looking for a suggestion for a new pair of jeans. I used to be a competitive dancer and have tremendous quads and a rather prominent bum. Unfortunately, after stopping, I put on a lot of weight and am wearing a size 38 dress pant (6'2, 240lbs). Do I have to find a size larger than this because of shrinkage? I like the idea of dark jeans I can dress up a bit, and the heavier denims seem appealling also. Unfortunately, I'm in the middle of Iowa and can't really try much on, so it would have to be internet. My ideal budget would be under 200$, but I'm flexible. Any suggestions on where to start?
Under $200 you'd be talking about APC Rescues (size 35 or so), LVC (Levi's Vintage Clothing): take your pick of year, and possibly Nudie (Big Bendt, size 36). APC's go for $155, LVC for around $200, and Nudie around $150. You can get a 20% discount by going through forum affiliate Farinelli's for the LVC and Nudies but APC can't be discounted (anywhere). Feel free to call them up or shoot them an email.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whodini
Under $200 you'd be talking about APC Rescues (size 35 or so), LVC (Levi's Vintage Clothing): take your pick of year, and possibly Nudie (Big Bendt, size 36).

APC's go for $155, LVC for around $200, and Nudie around $150. You can get a 20% discount by going through forum affiliate Farinelli's for the LVC and Nudies but APC can't be discounted (anywhere).

Feel free to call them up or shoot them an email.

I'd also say that RRL Classic fit (I think that's the one) or the 5EP straight down zips might be good for you. The 5EP leave plenty or room for junk in the trunk, and tend to be oversized (at least, the raw ones are) and will stretch to boot.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy
I'd also say that RRL Classic fit (I think that's the one) or the 5EP straight down zips might be good for you. The 5EP leave plenty or room for junk in the trunk, and tend to be oversized (at least, the raw ones are) and will stretch to boot.
Those are great suggestions, as are quite a number of Japanese repros, but I was trying to keep things under $200 like he requested.

kaxixi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kaxixi
The rise on the "low-rise" pair I posted a few pages back is about 10.5" and I have a 31" (30" tagged) waist. The Somet 003's rise is over an inch shorter (which would be audition-for-the-Met tight), and I can see how that'd create the effect you describe.

I retook the measurements on the Gap Low-Rise Straight Fit pair.

Front Rise: 9.5"
Back Rise: 14"

This is virtually identical to the tagged 31 Somets, which have a 33" waist. Interestingly, the Gap pair's waist actually measures nearly 33" also (tagged 30").

Mauro

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Gentlemen.

If you have any QUESTIONS about denim please feel free to PM me.
several of the MC have contacted me and I don't believe I have steered anyone wrong yet.

It's important to remember when you are buying jeans who " YOU " are.
Jeans are a staple piece in any waredrobe . dont get fooled into buying something that really isn't your look.

Just a thought.

Hit me up.

Best,
mauro

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mauro
Gentlemen.

If you have any QUESTIONS about denim please feel free to PM me.
several of the MC have contacted me and I don't believe I have steered anyone wrong yet.

It's important to remember when you are buying jeans who " YOU " are.
Jeans are a staple piece in any waredrobe . dont get fooled into buying something that really isn't your look.

Just a thought.

Hit me up.

Best,
mauro

thanks for the heads up, Mauro. what do you mean exactly by "who 'You' are"?

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by acidicboy
thanks for the heads up, Mauro. what do you mean exactly by "who 'You' are"?
I think he means people should buy a pair of jeans that comes and fits most naturally to them instead of picking out a pair simply because everyone else is.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think he means people should buy a pair of jeans that comes and fits most naturally to them instead of picking out a pair simply because everyone else is.
Mauro hates it when you tell him what he means and how he feels. Just thought I'd let you know
satisfied.gif
Really though, Mauro is a great resource when it comes to denim. Whodini is... a resource.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy
Mauro hates it when you tell him what he means and how he feels. Just thought I'd let you know
satisfied.gif

Does he also hate it when you tell others what he hates?
smile.gif

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Thanks W

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
464454007_f4beJ-X2.jpg

Wings+Horn Buffalo Plaid Coat
Al's Attire for Self Edge white slub selvedge denim shirt
Somet 003 straight fit jeans
Flat Head tan steerhide belt
Pantherella socks
Frye Brando lace up boots in cognac
Tiffany Etoile band in platinum
no watch

Shot with coat off:

464454029_xyccj-X2.jpg

Closeup of shirt:

464406905_iksUZ-L.jpg

Closeup of hand shanked buttons and handsewn buttonholes on shirt:

464406907_jUzFq-L.jpg

Jeans: Raw 14.5oz Japanese selvage denim, indigo dyed, gold plated rivets, tack buttons with brass posts, half lined back pockets, made in Japan, straight fit with low-medium rise.

Shirt: White oak black seed selvedge denim from Cone mills by Al's Attire for Self Edge.

- B

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
nice vox. Do you live in the bay area or do you just order all this stuff from Self Edge?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads