• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Danner Stumptown Collection

Fatsix

Reaction score
Has anyone tried the Lotus Isle?

I'm looking for a casual boot. I absolutely love my Danner hot steel RAT's for work. Light Patterson would have been perfect.

ac102

Reaction score
can anyone proxy me factory seconds of lownsdale?

Last edited:

dubcbadass

Reaction score
PSA: Amazon has some Stumptown models available for 20% off and Prime, so 20% off plus free two-day shipping. Probably haven't seen a better deal on first-quality Danners.

batchelor22

Reaction score
Yes, have the Lotus Isle. Good looking boot, needed a little more breaking than my Pittmans. I would recommend them.

ZenSilk

Reaction score
How is the break-in and feeling of these boots for those of you that own the Mountain Light II's? The z-tongue has been giving me some issues, mainly on my right foot. The crease presses down onto the seam of the tongue creating a pressure that is always present and gets worse when the toe is bent in movement. After a month the pressure has slightly subsided but not enough to be worn laced tightly for practical use (longer walks, hikes).

Any remedies? I have treated them with Obenauf Oil and the leather has become very wonderfully rich and supple but this does not seem to affect the seam issue.

david809

Reaction score
Quick question re: the Overton. For people who own this shoe, can you comment on how warm the shoe is with the Gore Tex liner? I'm in Chicago, but sometimes I find boots lined with Gore Tex to be a bit warm when worn indoors. Thanks guys.

kixslf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Quick question re: the Overton. For people who own this shoe, can you comment on how warm the shoe is with the Gore Tex liner? I'm in Chicago, but sometimes I find boots lined with Gore Tex to be a bit warm when worn indoors. Thanks guys.

Well they're definitley warm, though, I've found that if you don't wear heavy rag socks with them, it's not too bad.

I don't know why you would want to do that in Chicago though.

david809

Reaction score
To answer my own question, I bought the Overtons and have been wearing them for about a month. The Gortex lining wears a little warmer than a regular leather lined shoe, but totally comfortable indoors.

Also, to add a datapoint to the sizing debate, I am pretty much a standard US 9D for most shoes (9D in Alden Plaza, 8.5D in Barrie), I sized down a half and added insoles (Superfeet Blue). My one word of advice is that you must add the insole. The insole supplied is a crummy half insole made of plastic that is really thin. So far all intents and purposes, there are no insoles in these boots (so if you actually go hiking and don't have flat feet, your feet will hurt. A lot). Once you add insoles, a lot of the volume from the EE sizing will be taken out (though there will still be a bit of room if you are a D width). For me, going down a half size and adding insoles makes the shoes a bit snug in the toe box but comfortable. I could see going true to size if adding insoles, so as to have a bit more room in the toe box.

g transistor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

mountain light overtons​

Last edited:

kixslf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

To answer my own question, I bought the Overtons and have been wearing them for about a month. The Gortex lining wears a little warmer than a regular leather lined shoe, but totally comfortable indoors.

Also, to add a datapoint to the sizing debate, I am pretty much a standard US 9D for most shoes (9D in Alden Plaza, 8.5D in Barrie), I sized down a half and added insoles (Superfeet Blue). My one word of advice is that you must add the insole. The insole supplied is a crummy half insole made of plastic that is really thin. So far all intents and purposes, there are no insoles in these boots (so if you actually go hiking and don't have flat feet, your feet will hurt. A lot). Once you add insoles, a lot of the volume from the EE sizing will be taken out (though there will still be a bit of room if you are a D width). For me, going down a half size and adding insoles makes the shoes a bit snug in the toe box but comfortable. I could see going true to size if adding insoles, so as to have a bit more room in the toe box.

just a small note... those inserts they include are not intended to be used like an insole.

hoodyear

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
just a small note... those inserts they include are not intended to be used like an insole.
This is a semantic debate. It's an arch support. If that's all you need, it's great. Otherwise, get some Dr. Scholls.

landcruiser

Reaction score
Hey everyone, this forum has been pretty informative for me so I thought I'd chime in and share my experience. I just picked up a pair of Danner Overtons in a size 12, but before I comment on them here is some of my size info for reference. Someone brought this up earlier and I think it helps with those searching for the right size.

Danner Acadia and Danner Marine Hot- 12
RedWing Style #875 Boot- 11M. A little narrow and probably could have gone with wide, but not a major issue
Frye- 10.5 D/Med- they run a bit smaller than the RW for me. I ordered and 11, but sent back for a 10.5
Running Shoes- 12.5 in Nike and New Balance, and a 13 if I go with Brooks.

That said, I'm a little bit all over the map with my sizing. I ordered the Overtons from Danner's Breakroom and went with the 12D even though they suggest sizing down a half size due to the wide 650EE last--I figured I could make up the additional volume with an insole. This is where I get a bit confused--Danner sells boots in the this "wider" last in a D width and also a EE width (look at the Danner ML II). I thought that if you got a boot with a wide last (650EE) and went with a EE width that you would just get a super wide boot. Anyyyywaaaayyyy, I found that the the 12D fit me great and I did not find them any wider than my Acadias--strange I thought. I agree with an earlier poster who said that the width will not change the length of the boot--at least in my experience it has not although others will advocate going down a half size. I prefer an insole with my Danners and go with a superfeet orange on my Acadias as these are my military boots and need them for field work, rucking, etc. Not the case with my Overtons as I prefer a looser fit with these since they will be more of a casual boot for just kicking it, camping, very light hiking, and walking around town. So I went with Pedag leather insoles for my Overtons--some here may want to check them out. They are very thin an comfortable and are design for shoes that do not come with a removable insole--they take up very little volume. All-in-all the Overtons are an outstanding boot and I love the fit. My experience is they fit TTS, but if I got a boot in the same last (650 EE) and a wide size EE in a boot like the Mountain Light II, I would still go with the 12 and get a superfeet insole to fill any extra volume. Hope this info gives some useful frame of reference for you all

constant struggle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
DANNER STUMPTOWN MTN LIGHTS - not just for urban hiking (FYI i got these in 9.5 and they fit well, i am a 10 in vans / 42 in common projects )
took them on a 4.5 hr hike in the catskills - they were great

Last edited:

EngineNear

Reaction score
Is there any advantage to purchasing a pair of Danner's from them? I've found them cheaper elsewhere but I want to make sure I can still get them resoled from Danner.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads