• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

crystal barware

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score
my whisky decanter and tumblers are all waterford.....Ive been more than happy with them.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Huntsman
I like sturdy, fairly square tumblers for whisky -- when I want a tumbler for my whisky, which despite the joys of Glencairn glasses, or like impolyt, a Reidel (but the XO cognac) , I often do -- but they must have a nice cut glass rim -- the defining characteristic of a good glass to me. I have six vintage tumblers that my father let me confiscate because I love them so much:

This business with ImageShack is annoying -- I have a lot of stuff up there. It should work as a link, but youll likely have to copy/paste it into a new window to beat SF's refer header.

http://img88.imageshack.us/i/laglv7.jpg/

As for your issue, GQ, my suggestion: Find tumblers that you like, then take the to a glasswares shop/engraver, and have them grind the rims down for you. I'd be shocked if that was a problem to have done.

~ H

A nice tumbler is still my preferred glass. The glencairn and similar glasses, while maybe good for tasting, just don't seem right to me, no matter how short the stem. Interesting idea about a glasswares shop grinding the rims...

turboman808

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DerekS
my whisky decanter and tumblers are all waterford.....Ive been more than happy with them.

I only use decanters and carafes for parties. They are not healthy for long term storage. Probably won't kill you but why expose yourself to higher lead contents then considered safe.

It's also not recommended to drink from crystal every day but that might be going a bit overboard.

BTW I waterford celebration champaigne flutes and love to use them.

CrystalCat

Reaction score
Can't help myself...I'm a purist and I love me some American made crystal. Steuben all day for my crystal glassware It's what my father used, he was from Corning
smile.gif

ginlimetonic

Reaction score
Originally Posted by CrystalCat
Can't help myself...I'm a purist and I love me some American made crystal. Steuben all day for my crystal glassware It's what my father used, he was from Corning
smile.gif

I find those pieces by steuben like a peacock in flamboyance. I'm looking for something traditional and timeless. my goodness, those Theresienthal costs 150 euros shipping to Australia. And 150 euros for drinking out of lead oxide is already quite expensive...

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Do you worry about lead leaching? I think the major concern is with storing for long periods as you would with a decanter. For serving glasses, the period would be much shorter, and the lead leached would be minimal.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If someone could remind me of the german brand that Iammatt prefers, give that a shot. I like Baccarat.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads