• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Crocket & Jones shoe trees

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I'm onsidering buying a couple of C&J shoes on the 348 last and am wondering whether there are lasted shoe trees from C&J for the 348-last? If not, what kind of shoe trees are the best for the last and where do I purchase them from?

Thanks in advance!

Son Of Saphir

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hello,
I'm onsidering buying a couple of C&J shoes on the 348 last and am wondering whether there are lasted shoe trees from C&J for the 348-last? If not, what kind of shoe trees are the best for the last and where do I purchase them from?

Thanks in advance!

C&J trees for the 348 last are terrible and mis shape the shoes.

what kind of shoe trees are the best for the last and where do I purchase them from?
it a good question.

Son Of Saphir

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

For my view, I refer the Right Honourable Gentleman to this

Interesting comments from you in link.
Me think opposite of this,
tree to help keep original shape of shoe.
Me think tree role does not extend to help shoe mould to foot,
it to big a role to fill for a tree.

inter71

Reaction score
I have two 348 pair of shoes and use original C&J lasts. I have no major issues with those lasts..........

Northampton Novice

Reaction score

Exactly.

Dandies' theory is contrary to the intended purpose of a shoe tree.

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

C&J trees for the 348 last are terrible and mis shape the shoes.
it a good question.

I completely disagree. I have 5 pairs on the 348 last with the C&J trees. And the trees fit perfectly - better than my lasted trees from G&G.

I wonder if they gave you the wrong trees? Are they the stained and laquered trees - or the natural beech color without lacquer

Gerry

Reaction score
I completely disagree. I have 5 pairs on the 348 last with the C&J trees. And the trees fit perfectly - better than my lasted trees from G&G.
I wonder if they gave you the wrong trees? Are they the stained and laquered trees - or the natural beech color without lacquer

+1

SuitedDx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
From what I have read the handgrade trees are best with the 337 and the other handgrade shoe lasts. I have a pair on the 363 but also have benchgrades in 348 and (coming soon) 341. Thinking of just getting one of each tree and just trying it out.

Gerry

Reaction score
I've noticed that while most generic shoe trees will fit most shoes at a given size the C&J lasted(laquered ones) will not. The C&J shoe tree for my handgrade Belgraves(337) will not fit into my benchgrade Coniston boots(325), both boot and shoe 7.5E.

Last edited:

SuitedDx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I've noticed that while most generic shoe trees will fit most shoes at a given size the C&J lasted(laquered ones) will not. The C&J shoe tree for my handgrade Belgraves(337) will not fit into my benchgrade Coniston boots(325), both boot and shoe 7.5E.

I could see that since the Coniston (from what I know) is more of their 'country' line. I have a pair of Islays and I just used regular Woodlore trees on them.

dandie

Reaction score

I think my theory (which admittedly free from underlying evidence but just feels right) is the opposite of this

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

From what I have read the handgrade trees are best with the 337 and the other handgrade shoe lasts. I have a pair on the 363 but also have benchgrades in 348 and (coming soon) 341. Thinking of just getting one of each tree and just trying it out.

The 348 will take the stained and lacquered trees - the 341 the unstained but lacquered.

The 348 should fit perfectly, based on my experience. The 341 will be just a bit less snug (if my Finsburies on the 341 are any indication.)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads