• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cool stuff

vero_group

Reaction score
Sorry man, but this is the lamest belief a guy can have. If someone needs to rely on the size of thier paycheck to get **laid** then thats sad. It's also a HUGE misconception.

Also, women will most definately find a guy more attractive who is a risk taker or someone who pursues their dreams and finds meaning in thier work. This is why rockstars and artists get laid more than Bill Gates.
Get it? -- misCONCEPTION??? Ah well, weak pun.

I think it is fair to say that Bill Gates is pursuing his dreams and finds meaning in his work. He just a nerd, that's all.

pengin

Reaction score
  Also, women will most definately find a guy more attractive who is a risk taker or someone who pursues their dreams and finds meaning in thier work. This is why rockstars and artists get laid more than Bill Gates.
I would consider Bill Gates a risk taker (well at least at the beginning). Sure he did pick up DOS as a way to make a cheap buck, but in the end he managed to turn his start-up into a huge mulit-national corporation that basically has a monopoly over the operating system market. I'm not that familiar with the life story of Mr. Gates, but I do believe that he ended up dropping out of school? And of course he worked over at Apple to "borrow" ideas and such. As to whether he finds meaning with his work, I think that's pretty questionable. And yeah, who can overlook the fact that he's married.

And some rock stars are just in it for the money. Just a huge media sensation created by the minds of some talented people.

Derek

vero_group

Reaction score
I'm not that familiar with the life story of Mr. Gates, but I do believe that he ended up dropping out of school? And of course he worked over at Apple to "borrow" ideas and such. As to whether he finds meaning with his work, I think that's pretty questionable. And yeah, who can overlook the fact that he's married.
Yes, he dropped out of college -- Harvard?

I don't believe he ever worked at Apple -- I could be wrong?

I think he finds meaning in his work -- he and his wife head up the world's largest charitable foundation, the $24+ billion William and Melinda Gates Foundation. It funds much of the vaccinations going on in Africa, the last I read about it.

jpeirpont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bill provided apple with its original operating system.

Kai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
With all the talk about lawyers, big firms, etc. I thought I might chime in with my two cents.

I did the big New York law firm thing for a little over two years, right out of law school. The hours were long, I never saw my family, and although I was getting paid a lot of money, I wasn't happy. The work was interesting, challenging, and fun, there was just too much of it. The economics of a modern firm simply requires that all of the associates bill insane hours, as this "leverage" is what pays the partners' huge salaries.

The good things about working at (some) big firms are that you get very good training, and you make contacts which provide you with other opportunities. After a couple of years, I had sufficient training and contacts that I was able to take an "in-house" job I really enjoyed which was much more conducive to family life. In my experience, the majority of big firm associates do not stay at the big firms, but rather branch off and do other things. I have friends that I went to law school with that aren't even practicing law.

A law degree isn't a one way ticket to a big firm life. There are tons of lawyer jobs all across the spectrum. I work in house for a pharmaceutical company. I enjoy what I do. It is challenging and rewarding, and gives me a good balance of work and family/personal life. Other folks have found similar niches that suit their preferences. I think that law is like many other professions, in that you can really tailor your job to your own personal preferences.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eveliynfindlay