• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Conan O'Brien's LA "Crib"

the.chikor

Reaction score
Originally Posted by willpower
Same goes for the beautiful old apartments in the Miracle Mile - 15 feet high ceilings, plaster, hard wood floors - torn down by developers to be replaced with 30 unit carpeted monstrosities.

And the carpet monstrosities suck! I lived in one on the "Mile" for a couple of years.

Egdon Heath

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tiecollector
Thinking of renovating my house similarly. I was thinking about even the same color scheme outside.
Huh? It's a fuckin' white house, that's a color scheme?​

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Egdon Heath
Huh? It's a fuckin' white house, that's a color scheme?​
Dark green trim, charcoal roof and red door. Not sure how many more colors most houses have. I guess you could have white walls, trim, door and roof. It will save the planet that way at least.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by willpower
Same goes for the beautiful old apartments in the Miracle Mile - 15 feet high ceilings, plaster, hard wood floors - torn down by developers to be replaced with 30 unit carpeted monstrosities.

A tiny few of those are still standing. I wish there was a good book that catalogued the lost ones. If you know of one, please post the title!

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Does nothing for me.

West LA used to have just about the nicest swath of residential architecture in the country. Hollywood trash and their teardowns have ruined it.

If I were king, ever Wallace Neff, PR Williams, Arthur Kelly, Gordon Kauffman, Julia Morgan, and Bernard Maybeck house in California would be landmarked.

It's awful. I remember going to check out my grandparent's house only to find out that the new owners had built something four times the original size on their lot.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
It's awful. I remember going to check out my grandparent's house only to find out that the new owners had built something four times the original size on their lot.

Do you remember the architect?

Henry Salvatori had one of the finest homes I have ever seen, a Williams masterpiece, and some asswipe tore it down. Freaking crime.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Do you remember the architect? Henry Salvatori had one of the finest homes I have ever seen, a Williams masterpiece, and some asswipe tore it down. Freaking crime.
I don't. It was some LA modernist architect, but I am not sure he was famous. I'd post a pic, but all I have is a small, interior one that shows basically none of the architecture. Perhaps Vox is somewhere in the pic, I don't know.

willpower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A tiny few of those are still standing. I wish there was a good book that catalogued the lost ones. If you know of one, please post the title!
That would make a great book. The apartment my GF and I lived in had closets the size of small bedrooms, high beam ceilings, French doors, etc. And it was cheap. That was the good part of the experience. Since many of the places were built in the 1920s and 1930s, few of them had driveways or garages as LA had the best public transportation system in the US (now, not so much). Consequently, parking was an absolute nightmare. Also, the surrounding neighborhoods were bad so the helicopters buzzed around at all hours of the night. Still, worse places to be. Found some footage of the area for those interested, you can see some of the old places and the newer 1990s cement atrocities.

dkzzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On a subject of replacing good old with atrocious new : even in old Europe some cities have no architectural overseeing committee. Old part of Vienna for example is dotted with concrete utilitarian **** smacked in the middle of 200 y.o. beautiful buildings.

I like the way Putin does it (surprisingly): No billboards on historical buildings, no neon signs in foreign languages (Mac Donald had to spell their name in Russian), private owners cannot replace historical facades with utilitarian modern crap. The continuity of city architectural landscape preserved and buildings show themselves unobstructed by advertisement.

Roy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dkzzzz
On a subject of replacing good old with atrocious new : even in old Europe some cities have no architectural overseeing committee. Old part of Vienna for example is dotted with concrete utilitarian **** smacked in the middle of 200 y.o. beautiful buildings.

I like the way Putin does it (surprisingly): No billboards on historical buildings, no neon signs in foreign languages (Mac Donald had to spell their name in Russian), private owners cannot replace historical facades with utilitarian modern crap. The continuity of city architectural landscape preserved and buildings show themselves unobstructed by advertisement.

Don't forget in Europe some cities were forced to renew their entire city centre after the second world war. I'm not sure how that applies to Vienna, but the Germans have bombed the entire center of Rotterdam to ruins. Since then there have been quite a few modern architects at work.

dkzzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Roy
Don't forget in Europe some cities were forced to renew their entire city centre after the second world war. I'm not sure how that applies to Vienna, but the Germans have bombed the entire center of Rotterdam to ruins. Since then there have been quite a few modern architects at work.
St.-Petersburg was slightly bombed during WWII, you know during that brief Eastern campaign and 900 days blockade...

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Does nothing for me.

West LA used to have just about the nicest swath of residential architecture in the country. Hollywood trash and their teardowns have ruined it.

If I were king, ever Wallace Neff, PR Williams, Arthur Kelly, Gordon Kauffman, Julia Morgan, and Bernard Maybeck house in California would be landmarked.

I had the pleasure of living in a Julia Morgan in Berkeley for about six months. I paid $400/month for a gorgeous house with interior redwood paneling in virtually every room, but I slept on a mattress on the floor because it's what I had. When I finish the renovation I am working on now, some 12 years on, I will finally be living again in a comparable home.

Asterix

Reaction score
Very delightful.

JetBlast

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I certainly wouldn't turn down living there. At least I wouldn't have to bother with the renovations I have at my current house.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads