• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Comfortable and good looking shoes

Serialhorseplayer

Reaction score
I'd like to get some suggestions for brand names of shoes that offer solid comfort at a reasonable (for me) price in the $200-$300 range. I'm sixty years old and, twenty years ago when I last worked in an office, I wore mostly Wright shoes and was quite satisfied with the comfort and looks. I still have three pair, one, black wing tips, is 36 years old, but they are looking somewhat worse for wear and age. I'm looking through a Wright catalog and the shoes look alright, but, I'm wondering how the quality has stood up over time. I'm looking for dress shoes, loafers, and casual lace ups, of different colors. If you made it this far, thanks for your attention. I'd appreciate your comments about the current state of Wright shoes and/or suggestions of other brands. Thank you.

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I assume Wright means ET Wright. I don't think they actually make anything these days - but just resell at a markup. I would probably stay away.

At retail - Allen Edmonds retails for about $300, comes in all kinds of sizes and widths.

on sale - AE's can be had from $100-150 (ebay), $129-$229 (AE outlets, DSW outlets, nordstrom outlets)

if you're comfortable with online purchases, your options in that range open up dramatically - C&J's from plal, various English shoes from pediwear, shopping from ebay.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
For something sporty and a bit casual look at the pebble grain Geox driving loafers. I also like the rubber soled Santonis for kicking around town. Very comfy.

Some of my doctor buddies swear by Taryn Rose shoes but I have not tried them yet.

Serialhorseplayer

Reaction score
The Taryn Rose shoes are a little pricey for me. Also noted that the width is measured Medium, etc., rather than A through E as was customary when I was buying better shoes in days of yore. Is that the usual now?

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Serialhorseplayer
The Taryn Rose shoes are a little pricey for me. Also noted that the width is measured Medium, etc., rather than A through E as was customary when I was buying better shoes in days of yore. Is that the usual now?

The better shoes still use the A-E designations.

GeorgePaul

Reaction score
For loafers, you might like the Allen-Edmonds Walden penny loafer in black or (my preference) burgundy, which lists for $225, but is commonly available for less:
AlEdwldenBurg.jpg
A good casual laceup would be the Alden plain toe blucher, which is on closeout now at aldenshop.com for $255:
968.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads