• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

clothes in the movie 'great gatsby'

tgfny

Reaction score
(tgfny @ April 20 2005,11:02)
Originally Posted by imageWIS,April 20 2005,07:56
Originally Posted by lisapop,April 20 2005,10:31
Quote Now every hot WASP chick that comes to NYC wants to work for him.
Quite true, especially at the flagship Rhinelander mansion store, which is considered one of the choice "Glam Jobs" in NY. Â Doesn't pay very handsomely, but the healthy store discounts make it easier for Binky and Buffy to work there. Grayson

Which leads me to snobby sales people who work in such "˜flagships' (I say flagship in generic terms, regarding 867 Madison, I have been always treated well) who think they are somehow on you're A) financial level B) sartorial knowledge level. First of all, if you make $20-25K a year working at Polo, it does not matter if you are working at the flagship or not, you are still being paid $20-25K a year. People who come in and spend in one hour on clothes what you spend on 2 months rent should not be looked down upon for any reason...least of all because you are working at the "˜flagship'. It's your job to serve them you should be thankful they come into the store and not the other way around, I mean why else would they pay you commission? Secondly, most people working in "˜high-end' clothing stores would not know the difference between chest material from suiting material: "Are your jackets canvassed?" "No, they are made of wool" Or something of the like, can be often heard at a "˜high-end' clothing store near you. Thus, I would appreciate being less snotty if you do not know anything about clothing other than it comes in different colors and sizes. Jon.
The top sales guys there can make 6 figures Think they get 8% commission. Not Binky or Buffy, but the top guys are pretty good.
Well, you would have to sell at least $1,250,000 worth of merchandise to make $100,000 from commission, if you get 8% commission; not an easy feat. Jon.[/quote] Yeah, average selling $5000 a day.

Mike C.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
First of all, if you make $20-25K a year working at Polo, it does not matter if you are working at the flagship or not, you are still being paid $20-25K a year.

People who come in and spend in one hour on clothes what you spend on 2 months rent should not be looked down upon for any reason...least of all because you are working at the "˜flagship'. It's your job to serve them you should be thankful they come into the store and not the other way around, I mean why else would they pay you commission?
Wow, Jon. I guess that really puts them in their place. What kind words.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gotta agree with Mike C., Jon - a**hole attitude you've got on this point. I'm generally not impressed with the service at big flagships either, so I just don't go. I go to little boutiques where the proprietor is in the store and knows his (or her) product and is really interested in minutae (as I obviously am). Legitimate gripe. of course, if you go into any store with an attitude like the one you just expressed, you can expect to be treated like crap.

In any case there's no excuse putting someone down because they don't pull six figures, unless you're Trump classy, of course.

lisapop

Reaction score
Gotta agree with Mike C., Jon - a**hole attitude you've got on this point. I'm generally not impressed with the service at big flagships either, so I just don't go. I go to little boutiques where the proprietor is in the store and knows his (or her) product and is really interested in minutae (as I obviously am). Legitimate gripe. of course, if you go into any store with an attitude like the one you just expressed, you can expect to be treated like crap.

You best stay away from the shoebox-size NY store Peter Elliot, whose staff is imbued with mammoth-size attitude.
Grayson

Nick M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm generally not impressed with the service at big flagships either, so I just don't go.  I go to little boutiques where the proprietor is in the store and knows his (or her) product and is really interested in minutae (as I obviously am).
LA Guy - we need more of your independent store reviews, where you rate the place on presentation, product selection, and on a scale of how much you want to leap the counter and punch the salesclerk.

Or have you mellowed since the Andover Shop?

Mike C.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In any case there's no excuse putting someone down because they don't pull six figures, unless you're Trump classy, of course.
That crest Jon is sporting is kind of Trump classy, in fact Trump's logo is a crest much like that. Both giving off an air of faux-royalty. Very classy.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I mention this in passing. It is service I have seen others receive and I have received as well. Notice how I did not mention how I behaved? You just automatically thought that I behaved incorrectly, when I of course would only mention this in a context where I behaved with full civility, but was treated badly nonetheless.

Were I to behave badly, rude, or otherwise unbecoming a constructive member of society, I would have mentioned my behavior as such, if not one should expect that the person acted in a normal polite manner. Your attitude regarding giving me the benefit of doubt is akin to the attitude of the same salespeople I was talking about.

Jon.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy,April 20 2005,21:05
That crest Jon is sporting is kind of Trump classy, in fact Trump's logo is a crest much like that. Both giving off an air of faux-royalty. Very classy.
First of all, the English Monarchy is not faux royalty. Second of all, I like the design of the crest, plus it as a logo common to many of the Savile Row tailoring establishments, when used as a royal warrant. Comparing Trumps crest (Trump has a crest? WTF?) to that of HMH QEII is disparaging at best. Jon.

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
People who come in and spend in one hour on clothes what you spend on 2 months rent should not be looked down upon for any reason...least of all because you are working at the "˜flagship'. It's your job to serve them you should be thankful they come into the store and not the other way around, I mean why else would they pay you commission?
Yahzir yahzir. It shore be nice to be seein' youze in heyah today boss.

Get off your high horse Jon.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
(imageWIS @ April 20 2005,09:56) People who come in and spend in one hour on clothes what you spend on 2 months rent should not be looked down upon for any reason...least of all because you are working at the "˜flagship'. It's your job to serve them you should be thankful they come into the store and not the other way around, I mean why else would they pay you commission?
Yahzir yahzir. It shore be nice to be seein' youze in heyah today boss. Get off your high horse Jon.
Since you don't offer a counter argument and just merely say a statement indicative of your opinion towards me and not towards what I said, it would be futile to continue to write my thoughts regarding this discussion. Jon.

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Since you don't offer a counter argument and just merely say a statement indicative of your opinion towards me and not towards what I said, it would be futile to continue to write my thoughts regarding this discussion.

Jon.
My words were indicative of my opinion of what you said. Since you and I have never met, nor carried on a conversation, they should not be construed as my opinion toward you.

What is futile is anyone - especially a low-life flatlander like myself - attempting to make sense of the depth of your apparent arrogance toward people who are put on Earth to "serve" you.

dorian

Reaction score
What is futile is anyone - especially a low-life flatlander like myself - attempting to make sense of the depth of your apparent arrogance toward people who are put on Earth to "serve" you.
So, hold on, they aren't here to serve... or...?
devil.gif

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
(imageWIS @ April 20 2005,21:23) Since you don't offer a counter argument and just merely say a statement indicative of your opinion towards me and not towards what I said, it would be futile to continue to write my thoughts regarding this discussion. Jon.
My words were indicative of my opinion of what you said. Since you and I have never met, nor carried on a conversation, they should not be construed as my opinion toward you. What is futile is anyone - especially a low-life flatlander like myself - attempting to make sense of the depth of your apparent arrogance toward people who are put on Earth to "serve" you.
To serve: "serve a purpose, role, or function" What is so complex, that the word serve needs further definition? Jon.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
(imageWIS @ April 20 2005,21:23) Since you don't offer a counter argument and just merely say a statement indicative of your opinion towards me and not towards what I said, it would be futile to continue to write my thoughts regarding this discussion. Jon.
My words were indicative of my opinion of what you said. Since you and I have never met, nor carried on a conversation, they should not be construed as my opinion toward you. What is futile is anyone - especially a low-life flatlander like myself - attempting to make sense of the depth of your apparent arrogance toward people who are put on Earth to "serve" you.
In your words: "Get off your high horse Jon." If that's not indicative of me personally, I don't know what is. Jon.

dorian

Reaction score
Hope that definition is not for me, Jon... I happen to have a team of flatlander slaves who 'serve' me very well... Â
devil.gif
Okay, I'll stop now...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads