• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Classic Mens Shops - A List

Off My Rack

Reaction score
Quote:
Please do not add this shop to the list. This guy has 7 posts, all of which are plugs for what, at first glance, appears to be a cheap online made-to-order shop. Let's keep some sort of integrity here.

Last edited:

JermynStreet

Reaction score

Quote:
Please do not add this shop to the list. This guy has 7 posts, all of which are plugs for what, at first glance, appears to be a cheap online made-to-order shop. Let's keep some sort of integrity here.
I'll let Travis respond. Travis do you have any affiliation with the shop? If so, that's fine, but we are all interested in building a real list of brick and mortar gentlemens stores. Can you please provide pictures or some sort of information about that store? Thank you in advance.

Flake

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I know its not a big town, but Plainclothes in Birmingham, AL is one of the nicest shops in the country. Carries Samuelsohn and Sartoria Partenopea, Incotex, and Hamilton shirts.

For BIrmingham, I would also have to add Shaia's.

90 year old family business literally around the corner from Plainclothes. Stocks Isaia, Zegna, Luciano Barbera, Boglioli, Canali, Kiton, Billy Reid, Eton shirts, Gravati & Bontoni shoes, etc.

JermynStreet

Reaction score
Yes, I am affiliated with Aspetto. Like I said we are only 5 years old and I am currently just trying to get the brand name out. We do have a actual store in Fredericksburg, VA. It was just recently opened and that is why I am trying to expand the name. We do a lot of online orders communicating with our clients through Skype but also have the store in Fredericksburg. I am not asking for you guys to put Aspetto on any list. I just thought you may want to take a look at it seeing that it is a young and growing company. Thank You for your time. Please let me know if there is anything else you would like to know. Thanks.

Ah. Very nice and congratulations on recently opening your boutique. If it is indeed a brick and mortar store, I'm happy to include it on the list. Post some pictures on here and give us a description of your brands!

md2010

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I once bought a blazer from Aspetto from Gilt earlier this year. One word for it $hit. Poor fabric, cut ,construction and sizing all over the place.

JermynStreet

Reaction score
For BIrmingham, I would also have to add Shaia's.

90 year old family business literally around the corner from Plainclothes. Stocks Isaia, Zegna, Luciano Barbera, Boglioli, Canali, Kiton, Billy Reid, Eton shirts, Gravati & Bontoni shoes, etc.
Nice. Will add to the list.

jeffd

Reaction score
There's a great shop in Jackson, MS, called The Rogue, which any major city would envy. In Memphis, there's James Davis and Oak Hall.

PhiloVance

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've actually met the original owner/founder of The Rogue - Billy Neville. Just a great guy - he has a consulting company now and was working in that capacity with Grenfell when I interviewed the son of Grenfell's current owner during the MRket trade show back in January:

http://uptowndandy.blogspot.com/2013/02/the-grenfell-tradition.html

There is also a great page in the three volume Apparel Arts set on the great men's of the great clothing stores in London with photos of the store fronts - circa 1936. Some are long gone but some like Turnbull, Hilditch, Swaine Adeney, Lobb, etc are still around. Worth the price just to see Tuczek's storefront from back in the day.

I've been meaning to scan it but its a double-page spread in an oversized book so just doesnt fit into my scanner.

iansp

Reaction score
- Need Supply in Richmond, VA

- Redeem in Washington, DC

- Hue & Crye in Washington DC

Travis Peed

Reaction score
md2010

I am sorry for the low quality blazer that you received. However that is not a true Aspetto blazer. All the garments that we sell are custom tailored for each order. We are currently in a lawsuit battle with a group that has been using the Aspetto name. We own the Aspetto trademark and just recently were informed that the trademark was being used and sold by another party. Like I said we are currently working on this issue. Thank you

JermynStreet

Reaction score
From user CEE88 on the Alden thread...

GERMANY

Andreas Sapper
Calwer Strasse 5,
70173 Stuttgart, Germany

Budapester Schuhe
Kurfurstendamm 43,
10719 Berlin, Germany

Budapester Schuhe
Neuer Wall 30,
20354 Hamburg, Germany

Eduard Meier
Brienner Strasse 10,
80333 Munchen, Germany

Engelhorn Mode
Fabrikstationsstrasse 40,
68163 Mannheim

Fourteen Ounce
Muenzstrasse 21,
2 Hinterhof
10178 Berlin, Germany

Jerry's
Konigsalle 58,
40212 Dusseldorf, Germany

Moller & Moller
Joachimstrasse 4-6,
30159 Hannover, Germany

Raphael Cologne
Hohe Strasse 136,
50667 Koln, Germany

Schuh Exclusiv Kettler
Gransauplatz 5,
59755 Arnsberg, Germany

Schuhhaus Zumnorde
Prinzipalmarkt 34,
48143 Munster, Germany

Waltemode
88-90 Hauptstrasse,
64625 Bensheim an der Bergstrasse, Germany

gerbilunit

Reaction score
I once bought a blazer from Aspetto from Gilt earlier this year. One word for it $hit. Poor fabric, cut ,construction and sizing all over the place.

sorry to hear :/

doesn't seem like Gilt has a good following

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In the Boston area I'd add Mr. Sid in Newton and Drinkwaters in Cambridge.

In Atlanta I second Sid Mashburn, and I think Sid opened a store in Houston recently (or will soon, I can't remember). This store for me sets the standard for what a men's clothing store should be. A well edited collection of essentials that could outfit you for any occasion, head to toe (excepting underwear, which you need to find elsewhere or go without).

I go to Atlanta a lot for business and have also gone to Miller Brothers, which is quite good.

A new entry to the list in Atlanta is Tweeds. Admittedly a start up with a small, but focused collection, this place bears watching. I met the owner on a recent trip and he has a plan for his own line of shirts, jeans and leather goods as well as custom furniture and antiques. It's a cool place focused on made in the USA (as close to Atlanta as they can get it) products.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads