• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Classic Mens Shops - A List

Veremund

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hahner is opposite the Alte Oper. But I strongly recommend Cove, next to the Frankfurter Hof hotel. Eckerle on the Zeil, Sør at Kaiserstrasse 3, and Abaci at Junghofstrasse 14 are also excellent.

Actually, don't miss Cove if you can help it.

Edit: Ansons is also good, but not unique to Frankfurt. You've probably got one in Munich already.

Last edited:

JermynStreet

Reaction score
Hello, my German friends, and thank you for your contributions.

Austria:

Vienna:

Loden Plankl

JermynStreet

Reaction score
Boston:

Ball & Buck
North River Outfitters

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm quite surprised that The Hound is mentioned for consideration on anyones list of the top classic menswear specialty stores. It used to be one of the greats in SF, but they lost their mojo 20 years ago. The place is a mess and has a lot of old inventory. As of a month or so ago they no longer fully stocked Barbour.

JermynStreet

Reaction score
I'm quite surprised that The Hound is mentioned for consideration on anyones list of the top classic menswear specialty stores. It used to be one of the greats in SF, but they lost their mojo 20 years ago. The place is a mess and has a lot of old inventory. As of a month or so ago they no longer fully stocked Barbour.
For this list, I'll say:

"Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

JermynStreet

Reaction score
Lancaster, OH:

Hammond's Clothiers

Displacement

Reaction score
Des Moines, IA
Badowers

Not what you'd expect from Iowa as it's almost exclusively Italian (LBM & Slowear brands)

Last edited:

JermynStreet

Reaction score
bump

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Given the options for trad or trad-derived clothing in the Bay Area, the hound remains worthy of consideration.
I have to admit that the last suit I purchased there was over 20 years ago ...and it had side vents. I certainly would
put it ahead of Cable Car. And Brooks abandoned the Ivy paradigm several owners ago. What this town needs
is a Paul Stuart. But it ain't gonna happen.

Last edited:

computingboy91

Reaction score
Some help to populate the London section. I am not sure if any shop on Jermyn can be considered as a pure gentlemen's store on its own (New and Lingwood certainly is close), but the whole street altogether is one big shop.

London, United Kingdom
  • Jermyn Street, and Surrounding streets (in no particular order)
    • Brands -- DAKS, TM Lewin, Hackett
    • Misc. -- Geo F. Trumper (Hairdressers and Products), J. Floris (Fragrances), Taylor of Old Bond Street
    • New and Lingwood, remember to check out the shoe gallery on the second
    • Shoes -- John Lobb, Edward Green, Church's, Foster and Sons, C&J, Trickers, JM Weston, Barker, Cheaney
    • Shirtmakers -- Turnbull and Asser, Hilditch and Key, Emma Willis
  • The Royal Arcade for Cleverley's and a bespoke glasses shop
  • Trunk Clothier's
  • Albam
  • Liberty's Menswear Basement

JermynStreet

Reaction score

Given the options for trad or trad-derived clothing in the Bay Area, the hound remains worthy of consideration.
I have to admit that the last suit I purchased there was over 20 years ago ...and it had side vents. I certainly would
put it ahead of Cable Car. And Brooks abandoned the Ivy paradigm several owners ago. What this town needs
is a Paul Stuart. But it ain't gonna happen.

Any experience with Chrome in Soma? I had a friend mention this store to me but can't find it online. Any ideas?

jimney

Reaction score
Chicago, IL
- Paul Stuart
- Haberdash
- Syd Jerome
- George Greene

It is just "Haberdash," not haberdashery.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Any experience with Chrome in Soma? I had a friend mention this store to me but can't find it online. Any ideas?

Never heard of it. The web refers to a Chrome messenger bag company in SOMA.
It would be a bit odd for a tailored clothing retailer to locate SOMA.There are
several in the Mission and other him outlying areas, but they are not mainstream AFAIK.

RedRoadster

Reaction score
Portugal - Lisbon

- Oficina mustra

- Fashion Clinic

- Rosa e Teixeira

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads