• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Church's/Crockett & Jones/ Allen Edmonds

sonthach54

Reaction score
I am looking for some plain wide oxfords. I have the following choices; (a) Church's Clyde (on clearance at Herrings); (b) Crockett & Jones's Bedford; (c) Allen Edmond's Park Avenue. The latter are a little cheaper, the first two about the same price. I realise they can all be characterized as boring, but so be it. Which do SFers consider to be the superior quality?

IwearC&J

Reaction score
Go with C&J, without a dought. But the model you want is Radstock in G. Bedford has been cancelled and replaced by Radstock. I really good choice by C&J because Radstock is much nicer in the front.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sonthach54
I am looking for some plain wide oxfords. I have the following choices; (a) Church's Clyde (on clearance at Herrings); (b) Crockett & Jones's Bedford; (c) Allen Edmond's Park Avenue. The latter are a little cheaper, the first two about the same price. I realise they can all be characterized as boring, but so be it. Which do SFers consider to be the superior quality?

How high is your instep (ie the height of your foot)?
I ask because I have a reasonably, but not extremely, high foot and I found that I simply could not wear AE Park Avenues. In an attempt to get some extra space, I tried on a ridiculously wide fitting - something like an EEE or EEEE - but as soon as I started to tighten the laces it felt very uncomfortable and the "v" at the top of the laces was about 3cm wide. The Park Avenue last is very "flat", in the the shoe does not have a great deal of vertical space from the insole up to the lacing.

If, however, your foot is not high - if you have flatter feet - they might fit you without problems.

As a personal preference, I'd go with C&J as I have a few pairs and I like them.

sonthach54

Reaction score
Thanks guys. Very grateful. Surprised no votes for Church's; their MRRP is far higher than the other two. What do others think?

Macallan

Reaction score
In general, Church's; although I rate Church's and CJ as par (and own both)

Ideally trying the shoes would be best - you can have a pair of Barker's and Edward Green oxfords, although the latter are better shoes they may not fit whereas the Barkers could fit like a glove.

What experience do you have with the three brands?

countbaron

Reaction score
Originally Posted by IwearC&J
Go with C&J, without a dought. But the model you want is Radstock in G. Bedford has been cancelled and replaced by Radstock. I really good choice by C&J because Radstock is much nicer in the front.

With 6 posts and the avatar, the content of your post is quite understandable

IwearC&J

Reaction score
Originally Posted by countbaron
With 6 posts and the avatar, the content of your post is quite understandable

Yup! That´s right. No secret about that. But then I am also a cobbler and just gets angrier everytime I see when Church gets more and more crapier....

usctrojans31

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This really depends on the shape of your foot. I don't have much experience with Church's, as I think it is probably the most overpriced shoe one can find, I will focus on C&J and AE. Unfortunately I will have to use myself as the referential criteria.

The Park Ave is on the 5 last, which is very slim fitting, and typically runs about .5-1 size longer. Their description of the last is truly on point "best for someone with a long, narrow foot." If this isn't you, the entire 5 last might not be for you. While journeyman points out the instep issue, in my experience with the 5, I think it actually fits a high instep quite well. That is all about trial and error.

Conversely, I have tried on several pairs of C&J and have found that all of them run VERY wide. If you're a standard or wide width, you should be okay. If you're a narrow, you're screwed.

The best option for you is to get yourself properly measured, including instep, and go from there.

As someone mentioned, sometimes the lower price is the better fit. I can fit the 5 last like a glove, whereas every English made shoe is too wide for me and I clunk around in them.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sonthach54
Thanks guys. Very grateful. Surprised no votes for Church's; their MRRP is far higher than the other two. What do others think?

Would go for Church if you can find them on cheap, otherwise I say CJ is better value for money.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by usctrojans31
This really depends on the shape of your foot. I don't have much experience with Church's, as I think it is probably the most overpriced shoe one can find, I will focus on C&J and AE. Unfortunately I will have to use myself as the referential criteria.

The Park Ave is on the 5 last, which is very slim fitting, and typically runs about .5-1 size longer. Their description of the last is truly on point "best for someone with a long, narrow foot." If this isn't you, the entire 5 last might not be for you. While journeyman points out the instep issue, in my experience with the 5, I think it actually fits a high instep quite well. That is all about trial and error.

Conversely, I have tried on several pairs of C&J and have found that all of them run VERY wide. If you're a standard or wide width, you should be okay. If you're a narrow, you're screwed.

The best option for you is to get yourself properly measured, including instep, and go from there.

As someone mentioned, sometimes the lower price is the better fit. I can fit the 5 last like a glove, whereas every English made shoe is too wide for me and I clunk around in them.

Interesting, I found most English tends to be on the narrow side (especially when compare to Italian, or at least wide fit is not as available). Have you tried C&J in 348/358/337 last, I can't imagine those being wide. On the other hand something like 240 do feel wide ish, at least around the toe.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads