• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

size 38R

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dont even bother with the official BMW class. You'll get way better use of money & time by going to your local track with NASA or SCCA or BMWCCA. Couple hundred for the day(s), couple hundred for insurance through Lockton Affinity Motorsports. Boom.

The difference, as originally mentioned, is that you get to beat on someone else's car with no liability whatsoever. Plus, the instructors most likely have far better credentials than your local chapter or HPD organization.

Also, a full HPD day will require the purchase of some equipment, most likely you'll need to take care of some servicing on your car, and you'll burn up at least 50% of the life of your tires during the day. It's not as cost effective as the entry fee suggests but they never were supposed to be

Good points, but my view on it is... Take YOUR car to it's limit. learn to feel the cars threshold. know what it can do. throw some spare tyres on the back, and drive that summ B#*ch like you are out-racing Armageddon.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
lol8[1].gif
and doing a track day, with expert tuition is a great way to do it. you need to know every inch of your car, and it's positioning in real time. even doing a race driving course.
Race driving instructors, i assume, have the skills needed to teach you how to feel what is happening. you will need to fit good brake pads for the day, broken in the day before, and some tyres with 70%+ tread on them on spare wheels. you could do it just before your regular servicing when you change your plugs, filters, oil,etc.

- Or alternatively, you could drive a RWD monster through Japan's twisty mountain passes. and country roads that have plenty of run- off if you really needed it. - not advised.
stirpot.gif

Umm, side note.. do you guys feel that the more advanced cars (especially luxury models) de-sensitize the driver? rendering them unable to feel the "presence" and "magnitude" of the hulk they are comfortably riding in? with a reduced "Tactile" feel that could potentially be dangerous?
I like a car that feels "Raw". what do you guys think?

Last edited:

Viral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yeah, I wouldn't want to thrash my car around, especially when I'm using it as a learning platform for the first time. Sounds like bad news bears. Tire wear would be annoying.

The M-school would be fun to attend, too, I think.

LOL...........hopefully you see the irony in this statement!

Glad you weren't hurt......

TC (Houston)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Umm, side note.. do you guys feel that the more advanced cars (especially luxury models) de-sensitize the driver? rendering them unable to feel the "presence" and "magnitude" of the hulk they are comfortably riding in?     with a reduced "Tactile" feel that could potentially be dangerous?    
I like a car that feels "Raw".     what do you guys think?

Yes, definitely. I've been driving our S550 the past week and I find myself frequently spinning the tires off the line and around corners--sometimes intentionally, and sometimes I'm only aware of it because of the light that flashes on the display when this happens. :)

death shot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Beautiful ... my father had two identical ... a coupe and a sedan turbo turbo more ...

Very lucky. They're hard to find now, but I have a lead on a basket case.

horndog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yeah, I wouldn't want to thrash my car around, especially when I'm using it as a learning platform for the first time. Sounds like bad news bears. Tire wear would be annoying.

The M-school would be fun to attend, too, I think.
The difference, as originally mentioned, is that you get to beat on someone else's car with no liability whatsoever. Plus, the instructors most likely have far better credentials than your local chapter or HPD organization.

Also, a full HPD day will require the purchase of some equipment, most likely you'll need to take care of some servicing on your car, and you'll burn up at least 50% of the life of your tires during the day. It's not as cost effective as the entry fee suggests but they never were supposed to be

Eh, the M school is a vacation. An experiential heirloom for fathers and sons. You learn some basics across various M platforms (who knows if they even have your model of M5 to drive) but it's mostly a rite of passage in your ascent to the higher strata of BMW fanboyism. You go home with branded BMW baubles and a video to post on e46fanatics, where you can now justifiably write "///M". Also, it's in South Carolina, and travel is not included in the price. Oh, you know that all the cars are automatics, right?

If that's what gets you off, then go for it. But I maintain that learning on your own car at a local track is infinitely more rewarding and a smarter choice. You learn more about your car when you sit down with the shop doing the inspection. Maybe the serpentine belt is going, your brake fluids too high (dont want to boil it and pop the cylinder), a lug nut wasn't torqued correctly. When you cast off all the liability to another person as in the case of the big driving schools you're kind of turning off your brain. Also with local events you network with drivers around you. Get introduced to new people and new shops. Who knows.

Again, you are mastering your car. Get the track day insurance if you're worried about putting it into a wall. I also highly doubt that you'll be roasting 50% of your 300 treadwear tires on your first few days out. I *guarantee* that once you do track your car, and start trashing it the way God intended an M5 to be thrashed, you'll have so much fun that you dont care about consumables. And dont give me that beta crap "but i dont wanna hurt my M5". If you're dating a model, you damn well better smack her ass and pull her hair.

TC (Houston)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Again, you are mastering your car. Get the track day insurance if you're worried about putting it into a wall. I also highly doubt that you'll be roasting 50% of your 300 treadwear tires on your first few days out. I *guarantee* that once you do track your car, and start trashing it the way God intended an M5 to be thrashed, you'll have so much fun that you dont care about consumables. And dont give me that beta crap "but i dont wanna hurt my M5". If you're dating a model, you damn well better smack her ass and pull her hair.

Great advice here. I did about 20 weekends (half with instruction) at the track in my Boxster and 911--really understanding and executing car control is a beautiful thing. The first couple events, the wear and tear on your car and consumables will be very negligible.

Last edited:

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Called my mechanic, more bad news.

Front wheel is cracked in the center; have to get that replaced.

Total repair bill now close to $2K.

:brick:

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Called my mechanic, more bad news.

Front wheel is cracked in the center; have to get that replaced.

Total repair bill now close to $2K.

You went to a dealership? No replacement wherl at a legit shop should cost 2k. For ***** sake, go to a junkyard and get a wheel for $25. It is not at all difficult to replace a tire. It's like the easiest possible thing you can do on your car.

Last edited:

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

You went to a dealership? No replacement wherl at a legit shop should cost 2k. For ***** sake, go to a junkyard and get a wheel for $25. It is not at all difficult to replace a tire. It's like the easiest possible thing you can do on your car.

No, I went to a speciality mechanic for BMWs. I've used them before and they're reasonable in their fees and do great work.

$2k for everything (replacing one control arm and tie rod, refinishing two wheels, brand new wheel, alignment, and labor).

Last edited:

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Ah, my bad. Just read back about your mishap. Good luck.

horndog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If money is a concern, you should get on the horn with a local Dallas BMW enthusiast dude and DIY the control arm. I bet a lot of guys would volunteer to help a man in need. I also don't think that's a very stringent job. Buy part, throw car up on jack/jack stands, remove the old one, put on the new one. The wheel refinishing is cosmetic so you could do that later. How much was the quote for the individual wheel?

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

If money is a concern, you should get on the horn with a local Dallas BMW enthusiast dude and DIY the control arm. I bet a lot of guys would volunteer to help a man in need. I also don't think that's a very stringent job. Buy part, throw car up on jack/jack stands, remove the old one, put on the new one. The wheel refinishing is cosmetic so you could do that later. How much was the quote for the individual wheel?

In all honesty, I can easily swing the repair bill, it's just that I feel like **** for being so reckless. I need my car ASAP and they're already in the process of repairing everything (wheels included, no quote yet for the replacement) so even if I wanted to DIY everything, I don't have the time or resources to.

Good idea, though. Never thought to DIY it.

As BMWs age, people get tired of maintaining them...

Yep.

Also, the new M3/4s are out, so I foresee them dropping even further, just like my e60 when the f10 m5 came out.

Either way, I'm trying to sell my car.

I want the cash back so I can invest it and I'm leaning towards an e46 m3 now. Though, I really do like having sedans now, so if the price is right, I may spring for an e90 m3. I'll probably finance it to maximize cash flow.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads