1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Cars We Drive!

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Bert1568, Jul 18, 2006.

1. ramuman

ramuman Well-Known Member

God - the current McLaren lineup is hotter than any of the apprecication threads in DT. Need Series A and Series B.

2. Find Finn

Find Finn Well-Known Member

They had C6's and from what I've heard they had a full engine replacement and a couple new turbos.

I believe I have heard about one of them ended up at a breaker with less than 60.000 miles on it.

3. gomestar

gomestar Well-Known Member

it's amazing that at this day in age, 40+ years after humans put a man on the moon, a major German automotive engineering company can't figure out how to make a non-self destructing engine.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2015
  4. ramuman

In all fairness,von Braun was German, but the Americans put a man on the moon and Tesla is American. :).

5. gomestar

gomestar Well-Known Member

6. nootje

nootje Well-Known Member

Love em :)

I grew up with the vanden Plas, or Daimler as they where called here, stepdad bought a new one every two years. They still have something special to me, although driving one is simply not feasible with gasoline approx. 9 bucks a gallon, and conversion to LPG is sacrilege.

The maintenance is certainly an issue, although the V8 you have should insulate you against the troubles you can get with the V12. Electriicity shouldn't be a problem so late in the Ford era..

7. bawlin

bawlin Well-Known Member

Friend of a friend had one. It was nothing special. It was also in the shop for about 3/4ths of his entire ownership period.

8. Find Finn

Find Finn Well-Known Member

9. texas_jack

texas_jack Well-Known Member

Hyundai Genesis anyone? They look great but I don't know anything about them. Every time I see one on the road I'm impressed by the looks. Kinda like a Lexus mixed with a jag.

10. mimo

mimo Well-Known Member

Very relevant point: my first thought on the newer generation Jaguars (the XF) was that it looked like a Lexus. The S Type has redeemed it somewhat, but the XJ is definitely not inspiring either, even if it's a great car. Give me a "cigar" indeed. I think the BMW, Mercedes and Audi premium cars have kept their distinctive looks somewhat, but there's a definite lack of personality in the sector.

Conversely, as you said, Hyundai have really caught up on premium offerings, as have their bastard sister company Kia. Aesthetically, I think they've overtaken some more established makers with very strong, consistent and original design cues. I haven't driven the Genesis, and to be honest I'd still balk at the money just because of the badge. But once upon a time people said that about Lexus and Infiniti. Now the joke's on the Germans.

1 person likes this.
  11. rach2jlc

rach2jlc Well-Known Member

And here I am complaining at $2.80 for premium (93 octane) here in the Southern USA. Fuel economy is also pretty good on my V8; I average about 24mpg on the highway.

I wish we had access to the Daimlers and some of the alternative engines/options here in the USA that Britain and Europe have, especially on the XJ40 (like those pictured below). They tended only to put the premium options here (leather, wood, all the electronic crap, and the biggest/newest engines). I'd actually be one of the strange people who wouldn't mind having one with the cloth interior and the smaller engine and simpler electronics. After twenty years or so, having a solid, simpler car would be great for a fun daily driver rather than the ones with 38 different warning lights and enough gizmos to fly the Concorde.

And, though it makes for a fun conversation piece... who actually uses the walnut tray tables in back? I never even SIT in the back seat. ;)

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  12. texas_jack

texas_jack Well-Known Member

They start at 38K here in the US but yeah, the nicer ones (v8 ) are more like 50K.

13. rach2jlc

It's interesting psychologically to gauge one's reactions; to me too my first thought was to balk at $50k for a Hyundai. BUT, I'm old enough to remember the days when a Toyota and a Honda were cheap cars you bought because of gas or because you couldn't afford a better one, and Subarus were about as sexy and cool as a wheelbarrow (and about the same size). My neighbor's son growing up had a "Justy," a car that is just as ugly as its name.

ps my favorite still is the Mazda "Scrum," a small van they sell only in Japan. :lol:

14. mimo

mimo Well-Known Member

And Datsuns were so bad they had to re-brand the whole company. I like my Nissan. I will never pay extra for "Infiniti", though!

1 person likes this.
  15. rach2jlc

My folks had a Datsun just after they got married as their first car. Yes, one would never imagine based on that experience that they were the same company today making cars people are really EXCITED to buy. :lol:

Overall, I think the story of the Japanese automakers is one of the most fascinating in business. It's pretty old by now, but Halberstam's "The Reckoning" is a pretty neat read (about Ford and Nissan in the late 1980's).

http://www.amazon.com/The-Reckoning-David-Halberstam/dp/0688048382

There is also a pretty interesting "This American Life" piece about NUMMI, a collaboration between GM and Toyota (I'm a big fan of This American Life; it surprises me how they can make a subject about which I have no knowledge or interest become riveting).

http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/403/nummi

16. brokencycle

brokencycle Well-Known Member

Anyone have experience with either the Lexus CT200h or other smaller hatchbacks? The wife tried both the Honda Crosstour and the CT200h, and she likes them both but favors the Lexus. I'm most concerned about the maintenance/reliability side. Mileage isn't a big deal because she drives like 10 miles per day.

17. ramuman

My friend has the 200. She initially got it because she thought it was 'cute'. No issues thus far.

18. HRoi

HRoi Well-Known Member

So my friendly dealer let me drive the 12c over the weekend. Omfg everything else is ruined forever

3 people like this.
  19. nootje

nootje Well-Known Member

I actually did:

Say 20 years ago as a kid when, as a very grand exception (my parents hated the place) we did McDonald's drive through.. The tables where too small for that though..they really have no use except for decor.

Interestingly the x350 was the only one i was looking at as its the only 'cigar' with a Diesel engine. A slightly lesser sacrilege than lpg, but still..

1 person likes this.
  20. ramuman

Yeah that's a bad idea. The problem is the McLaren dealerships have the friendliest people. It's like an Apple store for rich people. Wish I could afford any McLaren. :embar:

Last edited: Jun 23, 2015