• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Huntsman,

Your car/garage look great! I think the lift is a great thing to have, I used an overhead chain hoist in my previous garage, it was not nearly as good as combination lift/cherry picker.

Outlaw 06

Reaction score
Very nice! This is my favorite M Car with the best production motor BMW ever made in my opinion. I've been looking for a clean, low mileage, Z4M Coupe with extensive maintenance records (and without navigation or power seats) for the past 2+ years. They're rare and very hard to come by, especially the 2006 and 2008 models.

Threw a quick coat of wax on tonight. Bar prep starts in less than a week and I won't later have any time. Shocked at the amount of stone dings in the bumper cover, though. Really upsetting.

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A small to moderate mismatch in grip between front and rear tires is not that big of a deal. The greater the mismatch, the more important it is to have the better-gripping tires in the rear, though.

I'm thinking of getting the PSSs for my rears when I get back home. Bad idea to mix and match with the PS2s up front?

I'd be comfortable doing that for street driving.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

^^ I've priced out some fairly capable lifts for ~$2500 cnd... Considering the amount of labor I'm sure the 355 requires to replace those things, might pay a hefty portion of the lift!

On a side note -
I need you guys to talk me out of my next car purchase.

I'm still very happy with my Audi for daily driving, but in the interest of my business (High end clothing), I have started considering limo-like options.

Competitors in neighboring cities have started offering a "car service" for clients looking to spend...
According to them, it has paid for the car many times over, and the clients love being picked up on a rolls, etc.

I can pick up a mid 2000's Bentley Arnage for 30-40k with low mileage.
For the same money, an 07-09 XJ can be had. However, in the interest of the business, I think a super high-end (Bentley, Rolls, S600, would be more appropriate)

An Arnage out of warranty (assuming I take the 6.75) would be a nightmare if anything went wrong, but if I could find an early 4.4L BMW powered model, it wouldn't be unrealistic.

Buying an Arnage for the business.... Best justification I can think of !

Depending on where you live why not have them picked up by a car service?

xpress

Reaction score

Depending on where you live why not have them picked up by a car service?

The only car service around here would fall into "taxi" category anywhere else in the world.
We have a couple of escalade limos, and early 2000 vintage town cars.
200k people, and quite blue-collar.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
back in London for my first time in 18 months, and I'm reminded of how crazy Knightsbridge can be. in a 20-minute walk on Brompton Rd i saw:

2 Aventadors, a yellow and an orange
a MP4-12C
2 (!!) Aston Martin DB5's
at least 5 458 Italias and a couple of 430's
a 599 (think it was a non GTO)
2 RS5's
a cream colored Bugatti Veyron (worst sounding of all the supercars)
a matte white SLS

there were a bunch of M3's and 911 variants but looked pretty meh with all the other metal out there. even the Bentleys weren't getting second looks

Last edited:

Find Finn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I think a number of rich Chinese have found their way to Tokyo as well, a lot of the flashier baller cars have double-8 plates here. The Japanese would sport double or triple 7's in the same instance. My neighbors across the street had a white GT-C and a white S63 with matching **-88 plates and then they disappeared. lol

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Huntsman,

Your car/garage look great! I think the lift is a great thing to have, I used an overhead chain hoist in my previous garage, it was not nearly as good as combination lift/cherry picker.

Thanks! The lift is awesome, in its own dedicated bay that is 12' high.

Very nice! This is my favorite M Car with the best production motor BMW ever made in my opinion. I've been looking for a clean, low mileage, Z4M Coupe with extensive maintenance records (and without navigation or power seats) for the past 2+ years. They're rare and very hard to come by, especially the 2006 and 2008 models.

Yes, and be careful with the '06s and even the very early 08's, as they had the issue with the VANOS bolts that tend to back out. If they all fall out, your engine kind of grenades.

I like the S54, but find fault with it for lacking torque low down, requiring the ridiculously short 1st gear and the corresponding huge jump to 2nd. It's fine and you get used to it, but it is not ideal.

I looked for mine for about two years also. I went with Nav because I wanted CC, which is otherwise unavailable. But it is so dated and spoils the look of the dash. If I decide to keep the car long term, I will see about burying it in some way.
Quote:
Thanks! Things like wrenches and screwdrivers do sort of organize themselves, I find though.
Oh man, I wish I had a lift. The F355 is getting new catalytic converters next week, would love to do it myself.

Would you really? Exhaust work is so awful.
^^ I've priced out some fairly capable lifts for ~$2500 cnd... Considering the amount of labor I'm sure the 355 requires to replace those things, might pay a hefty portion of the lift!

I think I paid $2500 USD or so for the lift. Totally worth it. Tired of scrabbling on my back. Break jobs are freaking awesome easy now.

~ H

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Well, things escalated after peeking into a couple of London car dealers. Saw a Zonda Clubsport, a couple of one-off Rufs, an Aston Martin Zagato and a preproduction BMW i8 (saleslady called it an Mi-4) on various showroom floors.

Last edited:

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
How did the i8 look in that state? Are the doors still transparent?

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I saw a documentary on the cars in London in the summer. Sure the cars are nice, but the whole situation is rather pathetic. In addition, residents are getting an earful of these cars on narrow streets all day and night.

Find Finn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I saw a documentary on the cars in London in the summer. Sure the cars are nice, but the whole situation is rather pathetic. In addition, residents are getting an earful of these cars on narrow streets all day and night.

Posted that 10+ pages back, as much as I love cars I would go nuts listening to that ALL day long.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads