• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

UnFacconable

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The car doesn't pull when cruising, but when accelerating aggressively, it's always the right rear tire, 100% of the time, that loses traction.
:slayer:

My initial thought is same as skinnyg's - could be a differential (I prefer muscle car positraction terminology) issue. Given BMW's quite reasonable parts/labor pricing, I'm sure that fix would be relatively inexpensive - no more than $5k.

:fence:

Last edited:

mike1445

Reaction score
i had some bad tire wear problems last summer, was on the road 4 hrs/day. they had milled the thruway for 20-30 miles at a time and then come back to pave a few miles a day then mill another long stretch. ******* awful.

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Anyway, snapped some pics of my tires. As you can see, there is significantly less tread on the right rear tire:

You can't tell anything from those photos. You need to get a gauge and measure the tread depth, e.g., left is 5/64" and right is 3/64" or whatever. It's not likely that it's your differential which is lucky for you since that would be a $$$ repair.

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

You can't tell anything from those photos. You need to get a gauge and measure the tread depth, e.g., left is 5/64" and right is 3/64" or whatever. It's not likely that it's your differential which is lucky for you since that would be a $$$ repair.

Hmm.. but how would knowing the exact tread depth difference be helpful? Not trying to be snarky or anything, but just wanted to show that picture to show visually how the tread wear is different between the two tires, with roughly uniform wear across the tires (i.e., no camber issues).

My car is under CPO warranty so I think the differential would be covered were it to need repairs / replacement -- hopefully the diff. is fine, though!

Really perplexed as to what could be causing this uneven wear.. ugh!

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree with dah328. The differences are small enough that it's hard to tell from the pic if there's anything wrong, especially with the tires at such low tread depth. I'd put a new pair of tires on it and watch how they wear. Here's an alternate explanation: you mention that the right rear kept slipping when you got on the gas hard, which means it's pretty easy to slip the tires.

The tires could have been wearing evenly until recently, and then due to road conditions or loading on the suspension, the right one might have slipped a bit more. This caused more wear on that tire, and the tire became easier to slip, which caused it to wear more, etc. in a positive feedback loop.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Probably just getting on it too often. Worth a mention to the BMW mechanics, as they're likely to see what's 'normal' for wear on cars that get driven aggressively. They would have a good sense of what is out of the ordinary.

My experience is from racing, where repetition allowed for you to know quickly when something was out of order (if you did not spot it ahead of time).

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
saw brand new vanquish at this restaurant we smoke cigars at, had to do a double take as i was like wtf aston is that and saw the nasty side crease...center console tunnel is horrid but nice car otherwise

didn't even realize these things were out

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I agree with dah328. The differences are small enough that it's hard to tell from the pic if there's anything wrong, especially with the tires at such low tread depth. I'd put a new pair of tires on it and watch how they wear. Here's an alternate explanation: you mention that the right rear kept slipping when you got on the gas hard, which means it's pretty easy to slip the tires.

The tires could have been wearing evenly until recently, and then due to road conditions or loading on the suspension, the right one might have slipped a bit more. This caused more wear on that tire, and the tire became easier to slip, which caused it to wear more, etc. in a positive feedback loop.

I kind of agree, there is very little difference judging by the photos, maybe irl its more pronounced. The way it was described one tire is bald and the other is brand new.

Per sgoomba's post, good catch, it could be the diff, but unlikely, check the BMW forums and see if its a common problem. I'm back where I started, I think you have an element of the suspension that's off, if in fact anything is wrong. Those photos don't give me the feeling that there is definitely something wrong. In general, I think you should take this question to a BMW forum. Not trying to be a dick considering my recent postings, I'm serious, i use an Audi forum and get tons of detailed information that I would never get here.

Not sure who said it but I kind of disagree on rears wearing faster, the fronts take the turning and braking load. I have not had a true rwd car for a long long time but it seems illogical unless you're spinning wheels a lot. I base this on nothing.

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Passed by this while walking to my apartment for lunch:

Want.

Last edited:

hypoluxo

Reaction score

Passed by this while walking to my apartment for lunch:

Want.

If you ever get one, be sure it doesn't require the metric tires. PITA. Otherwise, it is one of the most gorgeous cars ever made, though a little under-horsepowered by today's standards.

Last edited:

xpress

Reaction score

I kind of agree, there is very little difference judging by the photos, maybe irl its more pronounced. The way it was described one tire is bald and the other is brand new.

Per sgoomba's post, good catch, it could be the diff, but unlikely, check the BMW forums and see if its a common problem. I'm back where I started, I think you have an element of the suspension that's off, if in fact anything is wrong. Those photos don't give me the feeling that there is definitely something wrong. In general, I think you should take this question to a BMW forum. Not trying to be a dick considering my recent postings, I'm serious, i use an Audi forum and get tons of detailed information that I would never get here.

Not sure who said it but I kind of disagree on rears wearing faster, the fronts take the turning and braking load. I have not had a true rwd car for a long long time but it seems illogical unless you're spinning wheels a lot. I base this on nothing.

You'll go through two rears to one front.
BMW mantra.

You're in an E60 M5 aren't you? My old E60 (545i) was the absolute hardest car on tires I've ever owned.

What are you running for rubber?

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

You'll go through two rears to one front.
BMW mantra.

You're in an E60 M5 aren't you? My old E60 (545i) was the absolute hardest car on tires I've ever owned.

What are you running for rubber?

Yes, the V10 and my lead foot don't bode well for the longevity of my rubbers.

Car currently has PS2s and the rears especially are approaching replacement territory.

I'm looking to get into PSSs, so I'd have to replace all four, but the fronts still have quite a bit of tread left.

:fu:

xpress

Reaction score
A group of us drove the Cabot Trail (Cape Breton) this past weekend.

A guy had a 335is, and just made the move from PS2's to PSS, and is blown away.

Not to mention, they're a much better price!

I'd throw a STRONG recommendation at Bridgestone RE-11(s).
Best tire I've ever had

Oh, and get a Tubi exhaust. Now!

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yeah I've heard and read some great reviews on the PSSs.

Quickly checked tire rack for the potenzas and they don't seem to carry my size.. Odd. Maybe I'm looking at the wrong submodel (11a?). Either way, I'm pretty set on the michelins.

I'd LOVE to get a tubi exhaust but I already have a Dinan exhaust from my previous owner and I quite like it. The tubi is like 5-6 grand, no? Yeah, not worth it to me.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads