• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Car purchase negotiation

oneeightyseven

Almost Special
Reaction score
After doing a little research, I found this little nugget. These guys seem to believe you can talk a dealer down in excess of 8,000. And that paying cash is a bonus.
confused.gif

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I tried some car buying programs and beat the prices pretty good.

Here's what I did:

1) Email all dealer's within a 50 mile radius internet department through their website asking for a quote

2) Take the lowest three quotes

3) Go round robin to the 2 highest ones saying you got X as your lowest bid

4) Keep doing this and watch the numbers drop

I wound up getting my Subaru out the door for cheaper than pre-tax MSRP

I found Honda and Toyota to be the least lenient. Toyota really nickel and dimed on features.

oneeightyseven

Almost Special
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tiecollector
I wound up getting my Subaru out the door for cheaper than pre-tax MSRP

This is what I am looking for. I want it to be all included for under 50, seeing as the MSRP pre-tax is 52,500. Maybe 47 with all taxes and fee's included.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by oneeightyseven
After doing a little research, I found this little nugget. These guys seem to believe you can talk a dealer down in excess of 8,000. And that paying cash is a bonus.
confused.gif

Dude, they're talking about an Acura MDX, which may be offering some kind of manufacturer incentive. Apples, meet oranges.

uhurit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
While negotiating the so-called "best" price, remember that if you get branded as a difficult customer or a dickhead, the dealership will get their revenge at the service department where you'll have your car serviced. Even worse, if you negotiate locally, turn out to be a time waster and buy your car out of town for a few dollars less...you're screwed for life. Especially, if it its a luxury brand...even more so, if its a certified-preowned with more loopholes in the warranty. More often than not, it makes sense to pay a few bucks extra locally and enjoy a good relationship with the dealer. That's why the so-called aggressive negotiations advocates are a bunch of morons. They hurt customers more than help them

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Information is your best friend. Gather all the prices you can about the model you're looking to purchase, including invoice, cash back, rebates, and market price. Price out the model you want to buy, shoot your offer to 3 dealers. The best one, in terms of pricing and service convenience, gets the deal. Get an estimate over the phone for your trade, subject to final inspection. Most used car managers (the guy who actually does the appraisal) worth his salt can quote a trade in price over the phone in 3 seconds flat, provided you're up front about the condition of your car. If you lie, they'll find out, then make your time miserable when you're at the dealer negotiating over every penny.

So, to sum it up: get all the prices together, then make them a reasonable offer (gross margin depending on the make/model), and be firm on it. You'll be in and out in an hour, and you won't lose any sleep over whether you've gotten the best deal.

Or, pay me $500 and I'll negotiate the deal for you, over the phone.

emptym

Reaction score
PM bmulford about this. He knows.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads