• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Can you live in _____ for $1100/month?

maufic

Reaction score
Originally Posted by 83glt
Well, I guess you do have a point there. Toronto does have Casa Loma afterall.

You obviously have no idea what you're talking about. You can't even answer a simple question.

83glt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by maufic
You obviously have no idea what you're talking about. You can't even answer a simple question.
Let's not forget the CN Tower, SkyDome, and the "Canadian Walk of Fame." Ya, culture.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Toronto has Cronenberg. Good enough for me.

83glt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by maufic
Montreal has finer women, better food, better nightlife, more interesting architecture, a more innovative music scene, more sophisticated art scene, cooler neighbourhoods, and generally cooler people than Toronto. Oh yeah, and a vastly superior hockey team. To be fair, Montreal has its share of douchebags and annoying separatist assholes, and it obviously has its political problems and quirks, but on balance this does not detract from their otherwise superior culture. In fact, it adds to it. Toronto is just lame and has way more douchebags and hipster wankers who want desperately to believe they're really New Yorkers. You see, that's the key difference. Montrealers are happy to be Montrealers. They're comfortable in their own skin because they have a great culture. Torontonians on the other hand, are insecure and define themselves as "Canada's New York." It's just so ******* ridiculous. How you can possibly consider that Toronto has a more sophisticated culture than Montreal is simply laughable. Ultimately, you live in Toronto. I don't live in Montreal. You're biased, and I am not. Toronto may very well be a pleasant place to live for some. But it's not for me, and nor is it for anyone who considers culture an important part of one's home town.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Montreal has finer women, better food, better nightlife, more interesting architecture, a more innovative music scene, more sophisticated art scene, cooler neighbourhoods, and generally cooler people than Toronto. Oh yeah, and a vastly superior hockey team.

To be fair, Montreal has its share of douchebags and annoying separatist assholes, and it obviously has its political problems and quirks, but on balance this does not detract from their otherwise superior culture. In fact, it adds to it.

Toronto is just lame and has way more douchebags and hipster wankers who want desperately to believe they're really New Yorkers. You see, that's the key difference. Montrealers are happy to be Montrealers. They're comfortable in their own skin because they have a great culture. Torontonians on the other hand, are insecure and define themselves as "Canada's New York." It's just so ******* ridiculous.

How you can possibly consider that Toronto has a more sophisticated culture than Montreal is simply laughable.

Ultimately, you live in Toronto. I don't live in Montreal. You're biased, and I am not. Toronto may very well be a pleasant place to live for some. But it's not for me, and nor is it for anyone who considers culture an important part of one's home town.

Oh please. Since I live in Montreal, I know tons of montrealers, and most of them aren't the least bit cultured. I would venture that there are no more cultured people in Montreal, proportionately, than any other major city.

It seems to me that you are attempting to define culture from the perspective of someone that holds false sophistication and exclusiveness in high esteem. How exactly is the music scene more innovative or the art scene more sophisticated? Anyone that measures things in those terms is marsupialed anyway. Or are you one of those counter-culture rejects? You're awfully aggressive for someone that doesn't have a dog in the fight... Anyone that attempts to call the culture of montreal superioir, or vice-versa, is an idiot. Btw, isn't toronto the most multi-cultural city in the country? Or does only faux sophisticate white culture count as culture?

Are there lots of hot women here? Absolutely, but there aren't more hot women than in toronto. You just see them out and about more often because of the layout and size of the city. Anyone that doesn't understand this is an idiot. And Montreal has more than its share of douchebags. Every time i've ever been to a club, they've been full of them.

FWIW, I can't count how many times i've been told that Toronto sucks by people living here. It's something I'll never understand because it's always unprovoked and none of my Toronto friends spend their time going on about how Montreal sucks. In fact, they love visiting. They think the politics are ridiculous, but rightfully so. Montreal used to be the economic center of the country but they flushed it all down the toilet.

The only thing that is correct in your post is that montreal is a great food city. Even so, I doubt that most people have the bankroll to exhaust the culinary experiences available in either city.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
Oh please. Since I live in Montreal, I know tons of montrealers, and most of them aren't the least bit cultured. I would venture that there are no more cultured people in Montreal, proportionately, than any other major city.

It seems to me that you are attempting to define culture from the perspective of someone that holds false sophistication and exclusiveness in high esteem. How exactly is the music scene more innovative or the art scene more sophisticated? Anyone that measures things in those terms is marsupialed anyway. Or are you one of those counter-culture rejects? You're awfully aggressive for someone that doesn't have a dog in the fight... Anyone that attempts to call the culture of montreal superioir, or vice-versa, is an idiot. Btw, isn't toronto the most multi-cultural city in the country? Or does only faux sophisticate white culture count as culture?

Are there lots of hot women here? Absolutely, but there aren't more hot women than in toronto. You just see them out and about more often because of the layout and size of the city. Anyone that doesn't understand this is an idiot. And Montreal has more than its share of douchebags. Every time i've ever been to a club, they've been full of them.

FWIW, I can't count how many times i've been told that Toronto sucks by people living here. It's something I'll never understand because it's always unprovoked and none of my Toronto friends spend their time going on about how Montreal sucks. In fact, they love visiting. They think the politics are ridiculous, but rightfully so. Montreal used to be the economic center of the country but they flushed it all down the toilet.

The only thing that is correct in your post is that montreal is a great food city. Even so, I doubt that most people have the bankroll to exhaust the culinary experiences available in either city.

Plus, Montreal doesn't have David Cronenberg.

83glt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
Plus, Montreal doesn't have David Cronenberg.
I guess I'm an idiot. What do I know? Nothing, apparently. I would be fascinated to see what foreigners consider the more cultural of the two cities. Toronto is culturally maybe just one rung up from Calgary imo.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
I guess I'm an idiot. What do I know? Nothing, apparently. I would be fascinated to see what foreigners consider the more cultural of the two cities. Toronto is culturally maybe just one rung up from Calgary imo.

Yeah, maybe, but in reality, it's all Canada. Meaning it's about as relevant as my home state of Indiana.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
Yeah, maybe, but in reality, it's all Canada. Meaning it's about as relevant as my home state of Indiana.
Its ok, It seems everyone else in the US thinks Seattle is in Canada. We don't have David Cronenberg either.
frown.gif

blackjack

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
Not an estimate. I actually looked. Do you consider Asakusa/Minowa/Minamisenju central Tokyo? There are several around there for the price range and square footage I mentioned. Places that cater to foreigners. Should be able to find something for around 60,000 yen. I did when I looked last night. from 180 sf - 250 sf.

Asakusa/Minowa/MinamiSenju is definitely NOT central Tokyo!

Minami-Senju is also located in what is known unoffically as San'Ya Although there has been minor "gentrification" via flophouses being converted into gaijin backpacking guesthouses - it is basically known as a slum traditionally populated by Japanese untouchables (eta, hinin, burakumin, dowa, yotsu depending how politically-correct you want to be) and still now with day laborers, the homeless and of course, the yakuza who run the temp job market, liquor sales and dice games.

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Damn, g33k laying the smackdown!!!

Me thinks the Montrealer has a bit of a napolean complex.

K

83glt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by VKK3450
Damn, g33k laying the smackdown!!!

Me thinks the Montrealer has a bit of a napolean complex.

K

I'm not a Montrealer. How is it laying the smackdown if all he's doing is attacking my way of defining culture? If you don't define culture by the things I listed, then how is one to define it? Particularly in light of the earlier post demanding I list the resons why I believe Montreal has more/better culture than Toronto? Damned if you do, damned if you don't I guess.... I would wager my left nut that a very strong majority (say, at least 2/3's) of foreigners who visited both Toronto and Montreal, would rate Montreal as having the finer culture. Again, Toronto is a great place to live if you don't care about culture. It is indeed "like New York without all the stuff."

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by blackjack
Asakusa/Minowa/MinamiSenju is definitely NOT central Tokyo!
23ward.jpg
Your definition of "central Tokyo" being what?
The term "central Tokyo" today may refer to all of the 23 special wards, to all but the outermost special wards, or only to the three centrally located wards of Chiyoda, Chūō and Minato.
In most common definitions of "Central Tokyo" all three places I mentioned are included. It's not like some distant suburb - it's not even across the river. There are 23 wards in Tokyo. And Sumida, Taito, and Arakawa are not even that far out from "the center". You make it sound as if its in another city. Its just a different neighborhood. You also make it sound unsafe, which its not. Especially compared to the cheaper, more run down neighborhoods in any US city. The homeless people in Tokyo don't bug you, they just sleep, smoke, and shuffle around. It's not like they are aggressive panhandlers. the Yakuza likely won't bug you. In fact, in all my time there, I've seen more Yakuza in Shinjuku than in Minowa. You are less than ten minutes by train from the first stop in "central Tokyo"

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not a Montrealer. How is it laying the smackdown if all he's doing is attacking my way of defining culture? If you don't define culture by the things I listed, then how is one to define it? Particularly in light of the earlier post demanding I list the resons why I believe Montreal has more/better culture than Toronto? Damned if you do, damned if you don't I guess....

I would wager my left nut that a very strong majority (say, at least 2/3's) of foreigners who visited both Toronto and Montreal, would rate Montreal as having the finer culture. Again, Toronto is a great place to live if you don't care about culture. It is indeed "like New York without all the stuff."

The lady doth protest too much, methinks.

K

maufic

Reaction score
Montreal has finer women, better food, better nightlife, more interesting architecture, a more innovative music scene, more sophisticated art scene, cooler neighbourhoods, and generally cooler people than Toronto. Oh yeah, and a vastly superior hockey team.

To be fair, Montreal has its share of douchebags and annoying separatist assholes, and it obviously has its political problems and quirks, but on balance this does not detract from their otherwise superior culture. In fact, it adds to it.

Toronto is just lame and has way more douchebags and hipster wankers who want desperately to believe they're really New Yorkers. You see, that's the key difference. Montrealers are happy to be Montrealers. They're comfortable in their own skin because they have a great culture. Torontonians on the other hand, are insecure and define themselves as "Canada's New York." It's just so ******* ridiculous.

How you can possibly consider that Toronto has a more sophisticated culture than Montreal is simply laughable.

Ultimately, you live in Toronto. I don't live in Montreal. You're biased, and I am not. Toronto may very well be a pleasant place to live for some. But it's not for me, and nor is it for anyone who considers culture an important part of one's home town.

Let me start aff by saying I atually do love visiting Montreal and considered going to grad school there.

With respect to culture I would agree that Montreal probably has better architecture (and definitely a better hockey team) than Toronto, but as far as the rest goes your making absolutely no sense. Toronto actually has better musuems and a better theater scene than Montreal does. Both cities have great restaurants. We actually have three major sports teams as opposed to the one they have in Montreal. As far as having a "a more innovative music scene, more sophisticated art scene, cooler neighbourhoods", that is all a matter of opinion so I don't understand how you can even bring it up. GQgeek is correct when he said that Montreal does not have any more culture than any other major city. The idea that Montreal is the cultural center of Canada is a myth that is spread by people who live in Montreal, and you are foplish enough to believe it.

I have never heard anyone in Toronto define Toronto as "Canada's New York", that is just ridiculous and you are ridiculous for even saying it.

I may live in Toronto and so that may make me a little biased, but I have travelled across Canada and lived in a few different cities around the world, so I can safely say that there is no one "best" city in Canada (or the world). You on the other hand, do not live in Toronto or Montreal, and are obviously very ignorant about what Toronto and the rest of Canada has to offer. Why you continuosly make foolish and ignorant comments about Toronto and Montreal is beyond me.

That being said my problem is not with Montreal, but with the way Montrealers have to always bash other Canadian cities (Toronto in particular) to the rest of the world. I'm not sure if they do this out of insecurity, hoping that they can convince people around the world that they are the center of all that is good in Canada, but it really gets on my nerves.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads