• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Can you live in _____ for $1100/month?

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
As sad as it is, going to the Tina concert was the most exciting part of my social life since I moved here.
Stop hitting on me!

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Seattle is definitely do-able, but you are probably going to be in a small studio $600-700 or sharing a house in the U-District. (possibly less) You will probably have a bus pass, not a car, but Seattle is nice.
smile.gif

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Toronto for $1100? Really? I'm in Calgary and I don't think I could do it for under $2000 a month.

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by v0rtex
Plenty of squats in London, if you don't mind being a dirty hippy and not having any material possessions you don't mind getting stolen.

I'm only half serious about squatting... stayed in a few for short periods during my more adventurous days and if you can find a good group it's a fine (albeit basic) way to live in one of the world's most expensive cities.

You can survive anywhere on any budget if you really want to be there. Living a comfortable middle-class lifestyle is another matter entirely.

There was a story a couple of days ago about a bunch of squatters who were living in a couple of Victorian townhomes in S. Kensington or Mayfair... Value of houses was around 30 million Pounds. I think the properties belong to the Duke of Westminster.

Kwilk, housing would prob be your most expensive component of living in London. I dont personally know anyone paying less than ~7-800 pounds to share a place. Of course there are cheaper options, but I'm guessing that means a further out neighborhood, smaller room / place, etc... have a look at a site called Gumtree, it has a housing / rooommate section, and I am sure there are many other sites.

Travel can be next to nothing if you live close to work, to over 200 pounds for a pass if you live waaaay out in an outer zone.

If you are thinking about London let me know and I'll help you price things out a bit better.

K

83glt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by West24
just come to toronto, theres no other place you can live for 1100, and chill with west24.
Wow! Just when I thought all justifications for hating Toronto had been exhausted, yet another emerges.

Don't go to Toronto.

As Steve Martin so aptly put it when guest starring on 30 Rock:
"Toronto is just like New York City ... without all the stuff."

83glt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Leverandon
I do not think that it is possible to live in NYC on a budget of $1100 a month. I spent a lot time looking for an apartment in a safe part of Manhatten and even with roommates I am paying $1000 a month in rent. It might be possible to move really far out to east Brooklyn or Queens and live in a house with a bunch of people and get your rent down to like $700 a month, but $400 for cellphone, internet, heating, and general life expenses? That's going to be rough.
Washington Heights.

83glt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by maufic
People from Quebec must have real self-esteem issues. Every time someone brings up Toronto someone from Quebec has to jump in and say "wait a minute, don't forget about us". If Quebec (or Montreal) was "better" then people would mention Quebec first when they talk about Canada, but they don't, and it kills you guys. I have to admit you do have a point, Quebec is beautiful, and it would be great if it wasn't for the people that live there. The booze is cheap and the women are even cheaper.
Montreal has self-esteem issues? Dude, why are there so many wankers running around Toronto fancying themselves as New Yorkers? Toronto is Canada's asshole. Montreal on the other hand, is the only city Canada has going for it.

JoeWoah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you know where you're leaning towards yet?

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JoeWoah
Do you know where you're towards yet?

No idea, but it's not til August.
I might stay in Chicago. It's one of the best food cities in the country anyway, and I already have a pretty decent set up. I'll prob go wherever I can get the best internship.

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
even if you have to lie, cheat, and steal, go to london. don't underestimate the benefit of living in a foreign country, on your own, away from mommy and daddy. it will benefit you greatly. also, if you apply for a job in new york, l.a., san francisco, paris, etc... it just sounds better that you're coming from london and not from chicago or d.c.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I could probably also live in Tokyo for $1100 a month. But I am just awesome like that. I don't expect anyone else to attempt it.

West24

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by 83glt
Montreal has self-esteem issues? Dude, why are there so many wankers running around Toronto fancying themselves as New Yorkers? Toronto is Canada's asshole. Montreal on the other hand, is the only city Canada has going for it.

oh not again....why is it the montrealers always are the ones coming in talking bad about toronto. so sad, so sad.

83glt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by West24
oh not again....why is it the montrealers always are the ones coming in talking bad about toronto. so sad, so sad.
I'm not in/from MTL, W. And I sure as hell ain't from T.O. ******* shoot me should I ever end up in that pisshole.

maufic

Reaction score
Originally Posted by 83glt
I'm not in/from MTL, W. And I sure as hell ain't from T.O. ******* shoot me should I ever end up in that pisshole.

Oh give me a break. If they don't like Toronto, that's fair enough, but they should keep they're mouths shut and stay home. Instead they constantly feel the need to express how much they hate Toronto and put us down to the rest of the world. Personnaly I can't stand Quebec and how much they ***** and complain about everything. However, I don't make a habit of talking about it everytime someone makes a comment about how much they like Quebec. People from Quebec are a bunch of arrogant snobs who think they're better than the rest of Canada. Well **** them. As far as Montreal being the only city Canada has going for it, where the hell does that come from. What does Montreal, or Quebec for that matter, have that makes them so much better than the rest of the country? Please explain it to me because I would love to know. You obviously have no idea what this country has to offer.

Every city has its assholes but why people from Montreal feel the need to always put down Toronto is beyond me. Wherever you're from probably has some assholes running around.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads