• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Can you live in _____ for $1100/month?

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
From what I learned about America when I was growing up, its quite easy to find living space like this guy:
charlesinchargephotopn6.jpg

maufic

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JohnnyLaw
You could live very well in Montreal on $1100 an month (that's almost $1400 CAD right now). There'd be tons of money left over for booze. Cheaper and better than Toronto.

It is cheaper, but only because less people want to live in Montreal. Besides, then you have to deal with the Quebecois, and everybody knows what assholes they can be.

Leverandon

Reaction score
I do not think that it is possible to live in NYC on a budget of $1100 a month. I spent a lot time looking for an apartment in a safe part of Manhatten and even with roommates I am paying $1000 a month in rent. It might be possible to move really far out to east Brooklyn or Queens and live in a house with a bunch of people and get your rent down to like $700 a month, but $400 for cellphone, internet, heating, and general life expenses? That's going to be rough.

604guy

Reaction score
You could live very well in Montreal on $1100 an month (that's almost $1400 CAD right now). There'd be tons of money left over for booze. Cheaper and better than Toronto.

True... especially with roommates, i know people who live on 700$/month but with limited drinking...

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Jeeze kwilk, I don't think you could do that here in The Dakotas.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dakota rube
Jeeze kwilk, I don't think you could do that here in The Dakotas.

Hey dawg, I'm doin it in Chitown and doing it pretty comfortably. Then again, I really don't have much--- nor do I need much. I just didn't know if it was doable anywhere else.

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
How the **** is that possible?
Do you live under the L or something?

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dakota rube
How the **** is that possible?
Do you live under the L or something?

Nah.... I just found a really great deal on a really ****** apartment. But it's in Wrigleyville, which is a fun place to be around.
But basically, I go to school and come home. I don't go out b/c I don't have the monies. Sometimes I go and friends buy drinks. I know they don't mind, but I don't like really putting that burden on them very often.
It's hard as hell though. First time I've ever had to really live with a budget like this, and it's super tight.

As sad as it is, going to the Tina concert was the most exciting part of my social life since I moved here.

JohnnyLaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by maufic
It is cheaper, but only because less people want to live in Montreal. Besides, then you have to deal with the Quebecois, and everybody knows what assholes they can be.

Don't be bitter just because you can't get laid here. Besides, without QuÃ
00a9.png
bec, no one would have a reason to visit Canada. We have the best food, booze and women. What can you offer?

maufic

Reaction score
Don't be bitter just because you can't get laid here. Besides, without QuÃ
00a9.png
bec, no one would have a reason to visit Canada. We have the best food, booze and women. What can you offer?

People from Quebec must have real self-esteem issues. Every time someone brings up Toronto someone from Quebec has to jump in and say "wait a minute, don't forget about us". If Quebec (or Montreal) was "better" then people would mention Quebec first when they talk about Canada, but they don't, and it kills you guys. I have to admit you do have a point, Quebec is beautiful, and it would be great if it wasn't for the people that live there. The booze is cheap and the women are even cheaper.

JohnnyLaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by maufic
People from Quebec must have real self-esteem issues. Every time someone brings up Toronto someone from Quebec has to jump in and say "wait a minute, don't forget about us". If Quebec (or Montreal) was "better" then people would mention Quebec first when they talk about Canada, but they don't, and it kills you guys. I have to admit you do have a point, Quebec is beautiful, and it would be great if it wasn't for the people that live there. The booze is cheap and the women are even cheaper.

Just making sure people remember that we're here. It's just a friendly inter-provincial rivalry.

I do take offense when you say that the QuÃ
00a9.png
00a9.png
cois are assholes with low self-esteem though. QuÃ
00a9.png
bec has a wide range of people. Some are assholes and some have self-esteem issues, like anywhere else, but you can't define us that way.

I believe that the QuÃ
00a9.png
00a9.png
cois are very different from the residents of the ROC and are generally misunderstood, but I don't want to get into a long discussion about national identity and all that.

If an American is asking for suggestions of places to live well for cheap, I would put Montreal at the top of my list, if only because I'm familiar with the city and know what I'm talking about.

By the way, TOrOntO SuCkS!!1!11 LOLZORZ!!11!

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
Virginia suburbs outside of DC - $700 / mo for an apartment easy. Metro can be pricey though.

v0rtex

Reaction score
Plenty of squats in London, if you don't mind being a dirty hippy and not having any material possessions you don't mind getting stolen.

I'm only half serious about squatting... stayed in a few for short periods during my more adventurous days and if you can find a good group it's a fine (albeit basic) way to live in one of the world's most expensive cities.

You can survive anywhere on any budget if you really want to be there. Living a comfortable middle-class lifestyle is another matter entirely.

unpainted huffheinz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Chicago is famous, or notorious, for being a city that one can get by on very little money. The quality of the average apartment, even in nicer areas, is pretty poor compared to other cities. The areas where people with money live are quite small in area, and the vast majority of people on the south and west sides are very poor.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads