• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Can you live in _____ for $1100/month?

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
**** you guys and your ultra rich perspectives on what comfortable is! My friend lives in London, in Knightsbrige no less, for 3 pounds a year, and HE ******* LOVES IT! SO **** YOU RICH BOY AND YOU'RE FAT KID EXPECTATIONS!!!!!!

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SField
**** you guys and your ultra rich perspectives on what comfortable is! My friend lives in London, in Knightsbrige no less, for 3 pounds a year, and HE ******* LOVES IT! SO **** YOU RICH BOY AND YOU'RE FAT KID EXPECTATIONS!!!!!!

Eating a pound of bacon for breakfast everyday adds up. Don't hate.

yerfdog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you just rent a room you can easily do LA for that amount. I would bet that since it is only 3 months, it would be easier to manage just renting a room than renting a whole apartment.

feynmix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by yerfdog
If you just rent a room you can easily do LA for that amount. I would bet that since it is only 3 months, it would be easier to manage just renting a room than renting a whole apartment.

+ 1. Renting a room is the way to go. No worries about furniture, lease, deposits, etc.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by yerfdog

Originally Posted by feynmix
+ 1. Renting a room is the way to go. No worries about furniture, lease, deposits, etc.

Hmm, that sounds pretty good then.
I was a little worried about getting a 3 month lease. In an ideal situation, I'd get offered a job after my externship, but nothing is guaranteed.

So how does one go about finding a room to rent and making sure the people who own the house aren't psycho murderers?

feynmix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
Hmm, that sounds pretty good then.
I was a little worried about getting a 3 month lease. In an ideal situation, I'd get offered a job after my externship, but nothing is guaranteed.

So how does one go about finding a room to rent and making sure the people who own the house aren't psycho murderers?

Craigslist. You can check out the room, the bathroom, and the general area. In my experience, if you can live with a married couple that has an extra room or something, it works out best. Those who rent out rooms in their condos/apts usually do it because they have too much space that they don't use and they aren't around much because of work & travel.

Most of the time, they are alright with you using their utensils to cook (shouldnt be a problem for you), pretty flexible in terms of rent, and give you your privacy. Internet, TV, utilities and all of that will be split, and available too.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
A thought: if you go to Paris or London, any chance of a youth hostel for you?

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When I worked in Paris I lived in what could at best be described a hovel. But, if you know the kind of hours you'd be working as a commis, that won't matter since when you do get home after 14 hours in a kitchen, and a few more hours drinking and hopefully ******* some girl, you'll pass out instantly right next to the rats on your bed.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Thanks for the help, Feyn.

Originally Posted by Piobaire
A thought: if you go to Paris or London, any chance of a youth hostel for you?

Well, Paris is out of question for right now. I'm trying to learn enough Spanish so I can work in a kitchen, and I can't learn French quickly enough to get from my rudimentary HS French level to fluent by the time of my externship. I've also heard from the externship coordinators at my school that France has been really reluctant to grant US kids the documentation needed in order to work there. Didn't really get an explanation why, but they said that for the past four or five years, there has been almost no activity. Paris, or France in general, is still a major hope for me. Just not for my externship.

As far as hostels go, are they anything like the movie? (My first date with the GF, tyvm
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
)
If they have the casual sex with large breasted, attractive women, I'm all for it. The torture aspect, not so much.

I'm sure VKK would give me one of his rooms if I made bernaise sauce fresh daily.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SField
When I worked in Paris I lived in what could at best be described a hovel. But, if you know the kind of hours you'd be working as a commis, that won't matter since when you do get home after 14 hours in a kitchen, and a few more hours drinking and hopefully ******* some girl, you'll pass out instantly right next to the rats on your bed.
I'm not so sure that part applies to our esteemed young chef...
smile.gif

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
I'm not so sure that part applies to our esteemed young chef...
smile.gif

I could pull some puss if I wanted to. I just would rather have a girlfriend than casual sex.

JoeWoah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
DC is possible if you're willing to make some concessions. Living in the suburbs or less desirable places in the city, like the RFK side of Cap Hill or SW, SE or up towards Shady Grove. There are some decent deals to be found and they aren't bad places.

Also, you can definitely live on Congressional receptions where there are plenty of free food/booze opportunities everyday.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
There's several scions of wealth GTA families that post here. In fact, I think you're tight with a few. Why not see if you can flop with one of them?

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
There's several scions of wealth GTA families that post here. In fact, I think you're tight with a few. Why not see if you can flop with one of them?

Grand Theft Auto? No thx.
lol8[1].gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads