1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Camiceria Le Tre M - Naples, Italy

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by P-K-L, Apr 10, 2013.

1. P-K-L

P-K-L Well-Known Member

Holy.... I totally forgot to post the finished results. New job, relocation into another country... you get the picture!

Will try to make up for that ASAP.

CMT cost with hand details is €70 as Marco stated; if you want "nubs" on the should line you pay €10 more. She got basic shirting for €10/ meter, so you can get a complete shirt for €100 if you opt for all the hand work.

1 person likes this.
  2. mactire

mactire Well-Known Member

How was the fit in the end?

3. P-K-L

P-K-L Well-Known Member

Very good fit - will travel to Naples this week in order to tweak some minor things on the pattern. I hope I will be able to post more pictures by then... finally!

1 person likes this.
  4. mactire

mactire Well-Known Member

Always great to hear a success story! Would love to hear more on the process. Do you speak Italian/Napoletano yourself or how do you manage in Naples? I'm planning a trip myself and wondering if I should take a night class!

5. P-K-L

P-K-L Well-Known Member

I manage to communicate in Italian - I have heard of people who used their smartphones in order to talk to their tailors. Would be a bit too risky for me though... So, your night class would help :)

1 person likes this.
  6. Averroes1198

Averroes1198 Well-Known Member

And? :)

7. slacker

slacker New Member

I'm a new poster, but have lurked here for many years, and have gleaned much advice on tailors and suitings: thanks to everyone who's contributed valuable advice. I've patronized many of the usual Neopolitan purveyors on several trips: Solito, Ambrosi, Cappelli, etc.

Last year, I gave this shirtmaker a try and unfortunately have to recommend against using them. It's true their prices are a bit lower than other maker in Naples, but that old adage is true....

I bought several shirts, and here is my assessment:

- Pros: they worked quickly, turning around a test shirt within a day or two and delivering the shirts before I departed a few weeks later; the fit was pretty good; they are nice people who mean well, i.e. they are not out to scam anyone.

- Cons: don't expect them to make aesthetically proper choices on any details you don't specify. For example, I did not specify that I wanted collar stays, and they did not put them in. Most decent shirtmakers will take care of that by default, because if the collar is not button down, and there are no stays... the collar can do all kinds of will-nilly things. Also, one sleeve cuff tore from the sleeve after only a handful of wearings. Finally, I thought their collars were filled with some kind of low quality material, they don't compare to other custom shirts I've bought.

I still get work-a-day usage out of the shirts I bought, but for a little more money (120-150 EUR per shirt), you can do much better. I would have preferred fewer shirts of higher quality.