• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Calling Sydneysiders for help with Wedding suit

Sydney Student

Reaction score
Hello,

This is my first post to styleforum after years of reading it, permanent style, AAAC, london lounge... you get the idea. I am looking to ask for wisdom from one and all regarding the suit that I will be married in this July. (remember this means winter for us down under) The wedding is at 11 am but since I could not get absolutely everyone in morning dress (aussies can be a bit relaxed with dress code) I decided against that formality, also, I cant stand how literally no one knows what black tie actually is, so that is out too.

So I have chosen to have Sam DiSano make a double breasted navy blue suit for the wedding. I got my idea for this from Simon Crompton's Graham Browne suit see here. I saw it on the blog and loved it. I think it quite formal while not going over the top. I went with Sam mostly for the cost factor. I am at uni and needed something I could afford. I really dont mind paying for quality and lasting pieces but I also couldn't bare casa adamo or other's prices. I have purchased my wool. It is a beautiful Golden bale subtle herringbone weave from H Lesser and son. I got it in the mail yesterday and am very pleased. Tie is this from Drakes.

Now come the questions:

Firstly: To anyone who has worked with Sam before, (I know Sator on this forum has at least one of his suits) do you have any pointers about how specific I should be with personal style details? I would like quite an english shoulder with armholes that remind me I had this made. I am mostly wondering if I will have to argue for anything on the suit... I hear that happens with some tailors...

Secondly: Shoes. I have been working on my own pair of shoes for the better part of a year now with the hope to finish in time for the wedding, but uni has taken over my life and I can only do so much without proper instruction. The only pair of shoes I would even consider in Aus are a pair of RM's. I have a brown pair, but this outfit calls for black. This is one option on the list along side a pair from Justin FitzPatrick (aka 'The Shoe Snob') or Mr Edwin Neo of Ed Et al. I have followed them both since their beginnings and would like to support one of them. Right now I am leaning towards a pair or Merlion II's in black from Ed out of these options. Any suggestions here?

Thirdly: Socks. Before I place my order with Drake's for the tie, I am thinking of combining the shipping and getting a pair of socks too. Now the obvious answer is navy blue like these, but I am wondering if anyone thinks.. considering my age and how traditional the rest of the suit is if I could get away with this. what do you think??

Lastly: Buttons. Open to any suggestions on button choice for the suit. Sam told me he only has plastic so distributors for Australia would be a must.

I also want to add a quick word of thanks to everyone who answers all of the questions people like me have about what we wear. I have found the forum to be a wealth of information so far and I hope to contribute more often if I can.

Thank you all

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'd suggest against the green socks. Navy ones are fine - if you want to have something that's not navy, I'd suggest going with something like these:

http://store.asuitablewardrobe.net/puresilkdresshose.aspx

ridiculously expensive and fantastically impractical, but not the ankle-highlighter that the green ones are, while still being distinctive.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads