• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rikkar501

Reaction score
I just got my boots a couple weeks ago, and I ordered tts in 8. They fit perfectly, with just enough room for thick socks in the winter. Re: ankle pain while breaking in: take your socks and double them back down towards your heels, so their is a double layer of sock around the top part of the ankle. It really saves your skin while the tops are broken in!

Overall, I really like these boots. I have an attraction towards anything cap toe and with these being made in USA with Vibram soles they're a great deal.

fungz0r

Reaction score
Just got mine last friday and i've been wearing them everyday since. Ankles are still hurting but whatever, I just bare with the pain since it'll go away after awhile (or you get used to it) I love the vibram soles on them, and they are a great pair of boots overall.

Just gotta find some leather treatment/waterproofing for my boots, don't think i'll be able to find obenaufs in Vancouver

Froosh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fungz0r
Just got mine last friday and i've been wearing them everyday since. Ankles are still hurting but whatever, I just bare with the pain since it'll go away after awhile (or you get used to it) I love the vibram soles on them, and they are a great pair of boots overall.

Just gotta find some leather treatment/waterproofing for my boots, don't think i'll be able to find obenaufs in Vancouver

Hehe, say hi if you bump into me wearing the Katahdins. Seen a few around Vancouver actually.

fungz0r

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Froosh
Hehe, say hi if you bump into me wearing the Katahdins. Seen a few around Vancouver actually.

Will be on the look out then :p What do you use to waterproof your boots, or just maintain the leather?

Froosh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Will be on the look out then :p What do you use to waterproof your boots, or just maintain the leather?

I just use Lexol conditioner when it needs it (you can get it anywhere here). Haven't tried Obenauf's LP but I do have a jar sitting around.

fungz0r

Reaction score
Might I ask where you got your jar of Obenaufs? (or perhaps to even borrow it? :p)

trafficjam

Reaction score
Wish I'd read ankle rub chat before I broke mine in. I wore 'em about 30 blocks and was bleeding and had to leave 'em on the shelf for a week. I finally got back to wearing them by folding up paper towels and doubling up my socks as suggested.

Froosh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Might I ask where you got your jar of Obenaufs? (or perhaps to even borrow it? :p)

You can get it cheap off ebay. The seller is anevarr/nevarrinc. I use it on most of my boots that need waterproofing and it works really well. Definitely recommend you pick up an 8 oz, will last you a long time!

heylook

Reaction score
i finally got mine. they look great. they are a little snug around the throat/top of my foot, hoping they loosen up a bit.

how do you all tie them up? trying to figure out the best way to wear them.

dinogj

Reaction score
Just came back from a rather "outdoorsy" weekend in West Virginia wearing only my katahdins. They survived a spot of impromptu mountain climbing, at least 10 miles of hiking in rocky terrain, a WVU football game, getting stomped/vomited on at a bar, having hot .45 casings fall on them after a spot of shooting (The GF is a gun enthusiest), driving 14 hours, tromping through mud and cow poop, climbing two trees and kicking a guy in the shin.

I have never seen them look as beautiful as they do now. The weekend killed my pair of RRL denim...but the boots look almost better for it.

I love these shoes

illumin8em

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dinogj
Just came back from a rather "outdoorsy" weekend in West Virginia wearing only my katahdins. They survived a spot of impromptu mountain climbing, at least 10 miles of hiking in rocky terrain, a WVU football game, getting stomped/vomited on at a bar, having hot .45 casings fall on them after a spot of shooting (The GF is a gun enthusiest), driving 14 hours, tromping through mud and cow poop, climbing two trees and kicking a guy in the shin.

I have never seen them look as beautiful as they do now. The weekend killed my pair of RRL denim...but the boots look almost better for it.

I love these shoes

What a terrible example of WV coming to Morgantown and watching a WVU football game is, but it is good to know the boots held up well while enjoying some terrain

dinogj

Reaction score
The game wasnt much, but otherwise it was nice to change scenery since it was peak autumn colors down there while Autumn is just barely touching western New York. The vibram sole has a nice "crunch" on the leaves =P

wannabeagiant

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Billster
canadians that have purchased it, did the shipping charge you brokerage or anything at the doorÉ basically any fees that didnt show up when u made the online purchase?

and are the boots really that light of a brown colour in real life?

no, just what LL Bean charged.

Froosh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Billster
canadians that have purchased it, did the shipping charge you brokerage or anything at the doorÉ basically any fees that didnt show up when u made the online purchase?

and are the boots really that light of a brown colour in real life?

The pictures are pretty accurate, however in sunlight the boot has an orange hue to it that I wasn't expecting. LL Bean includes brokerage/duties/taxes during checkout, so you know right off the bat how much it is.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads