• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

California Appreciation Thread

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
cobb-salad.jpg

The Cobb salad is a main-dish garden salad made from chopped salad greens (iceberg lettuce, watercress, endives, and Romaine lettuce), tomato, crisp bacon, boiled or roasted chicken breast, hard-boiled egg, avocado, chives, red-wine vinaigrette and Roquefort cheese.[2]

The salad was invented in the 1930s at the Hollywood Brown Derby restaurant, where it became a signature dish. It is named for the restaurant's owner, Robert Howard Cobb.[2] Stories vary as to whether the salad was invented by Cobb or by his chef, Chuck Wilson.
Brown%2BDerby%2BHollywood.jpg

luggage.jpg

Bernard%20Luggage%20facade.jpg

51925698.jpg

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
For some reason I believed that the Cobb salad was invented by a chef at the White House.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
at one point, the original brown derby, the one on wilshire, had been turned into a filipino restaurant and the inside of the hat (the ceiling) was painted with a world map. very weird.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by StephenHero
For some reason I believed that the Cobb salad was invented by a chef at the White House.

pffft.
and green goddess dressing was invented by a hotel chef in san francisco (by the way, a real green goddess is a thing of incredibly deliciousness).

mm84321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lobster meat makes a Cobb salad taste better.

john_sf

Reaction score
I am currently appreciating two things about California ... and I say "appreciate" in the more formal sense of the word ... First, take a look at this ranking of US cities by population: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._by_population ... and note that San Francisco is pretty far down the list, at #13. However, San Jose is #10, and the combined Oakland/Berkeley/Fremont @ ~700k would be at #18 ... this is not counting any of the Palo Alto/Sunnyvale/Cupertino/Mountain View conglomeration. It's interesting to note that the relatively short distance of ~40 miles from downtown SF to downtown SJ encompasses a fairly tremendous 17.3 million people. We may scoff today at the "second city" pretensions of SF, but the pretension could become that of the "first city" within our lifetimes. Second, although I no longer live in San Diego, I continue to be fascinated by the political, sociological, and economic potentials of the combined San Diego / Tijuana megalopolis. There are over 5 million people slowly converging there, and it has, very much like Hong Kong / Shenzhen, the potential of being one of the most interesting places on the planet. Or one of the worst: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...derbeachtj.jpg

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
in a couple weeks I am getting about 36 hours to appreciate California. I don't know what I'll do but I hope to get at least a taco in or something.

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
^ a taco is a good place to start.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I have already eaten In n Out in the past and I don't really care for west coast style burgers, gotta admit, so I am gonna hopefully not waste my precious time there. I would like to go to Bouchon but mordecai was wussing out on me because I am an internet dude I guess.

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
I've met SFers before. I've just overextended myself this month and am poor.

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by StephenHero

ConcernedParent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Flickr_EchoParkLake.jpg
Used to love coming here on a date and feed the ducks.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads