• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Buying my first suit

R D K

Reaction score
Sleeves are a little short for my taste but to each his own. Good start. Now you can work on finding a shirt whose collar fills the space between the lapels and tying the tie so as to not look like a Macy's mannequin.
Haha is the half windsor really that bad? I kinda like the way it looks because it's symmetrical.
Can you explain what you mean with the shirt filling the space between the lapels?
Looks good. I also think the sleeves might be a touch too short, but everything else looks good.
Yeah I also thought the sleeves were a tad too short but I need to wear the suit on thursday so there was no more time.
When I get back I will get the sleeves lengthened a bit.

Last edited:

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Side view of the now-tailored jacket, please.

CousinDonuts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Haha is the half windsor really that bad? I kinda like the way it looks because it's symmetrical.
Can you explain what you mean with the shirt filling the space between the lapels?

Your collar points should reach the lapel.

Half windsor is fine but no dimple is no good, and the way you tied it in general is sloppy. Many would say you choose the type of knot based on the type of collar. What you did was pretty much fill the gap. Some would say a four-in-hand is better with this shirt. You were probably just doing it quick for a picture, but just something to think about before you leave the house.

Last edited:

R D K

Reaction score

Your collar points should reach the lapel.

Half windsor is fine but no dimple is no good, and the way you tied it in general is sloppy. Many would say you choose the type of knot based on the type of collar. What you did was pretty much fill the gap. Some would say a four-in-hand is better with this shirt. You were probably just doing it quick for a picture, but just something to think about before you leave the house.
And here I was thinking I would just by a suit and and I would be done , I'm finding out there really is alot to learn, before a suit is worn properly, but I don't mind ;)

This might sound stupid but what exactly is a dimple, and how do I create one?
I changed the tie to a four in a hand knot btw.

Appreciate all the help.

Veremund

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

And here I was thinking I would just by a suit and and I would be done , I'm finding out there really is alot to learn, before a suit is worn properly, but I don't mind.

There are so many little things that can go wrong, and it throws the whole thing off. That's why there are so many guys who don't look great, and why, once you get it all right, you do look great! :)

Last edited:

Veremund

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It's the asymmetry that makes it look better. For example, that's why jackets have one breast pocket, not two.

R D K

Reaction score
http://www.styleforum.net/t/347940/dimple-Appreciation/0_100
Thanks
There are so many little things can go wrong, and it throws the whole thing off. That's why there are so many guys who don't look great, and why, once you get it all right, you do look great!
smile.gif
Yeah I'm beginning to understand that now, I will make sure I get it all right eventually ;)
It's the asymmetry that makes it look better. For example, that's why jackets have one breast pocket, not two.
I hadn't thought about it that way :)
The short collar points just make your neck area look strangled, disproportionate with the rest of your torso
The shirt is kind of tight around the neck yes, I will look into getting another shirt that doesn't have the collar point problem.

AbeFroeman

Reaction score
The shirt looks loose around your neck. Try a full neck size down. Seriously.

Two things contribute to the collar points out in no man's land: 1) points not long or spread enough, 2) (more important) your suit lapels are bowed out a bit, they should be straighter (jacket more closed) which reduces this.

n2da2nd

Reaction score
My 1st suit is the black suit. While it is a nice suit nonetheless, yet I still think that I should have got the navy one instead. Navy is the nice color for suit, especially if it is going to be your 1st one. Here is the one that looks great IMO base on your measurement (similar to mine)

Lightning can make the difference in color for this suit

R D K

Reaction score
Why is everyone talking about suit colors all of a sudden? :S

Last edited:

n2da2nd

Reaction score
I have not read all 6 pages of responding, only scanning through lol If you have made the decision already, please disregard my post.

R D K

Reaction score
Haha no problem, yes I have bought the suit already, and it is a darkblue navy color ;)

CousinDonuts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
RDK - there are some basic fit threads, something with 101 in the title, maybe even stickied to all pages. Between that, the WAYWRN thread, the Good Taste thread, and even the peacock thread, there are tons of pictures and commentary on fit, colors, lapels, collars, ties, etc. People will rip apart details that you never even thought of.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads