1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Buying my first suit

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by R D K, May 3, 2013.

1. Veremund

Veremund Well-Known Member

2. Veremund

There are so many little things that can go wrong, and it throws the whole thing off. That's why there are so many guys who don't look great, and why, once you get it all right, you do look great! :)

Last edited: May 29, 2013
  3. Veremund

It's the asymmetry that makes it look better. For example, that's why jackets have one breast pocket, not two.

4. R D K

R D K Active Member

Thanks
    Yeah I'm beginning to understand that now, I will make sure I get it all right eventually ;)
    I hadn't thought about it that way :)
    The shirt is kind of tight around the neck yes, I will look into getting another shirt that doesn't have the collar point problem.

5. AbeFroeman

AbeFroeman Well-Known Member

The shirt looks loose around your neck. Try a full neck size down. Seriously.

Two things contribute to the collar points out in no man's land: 1) points not long or spread enough, 2) (more important) your suit lapels are bowed out a bit, they should be straighter (jacket more closed) which reduces this.

6. n2da2nd

n2da2nd Member

My 1st suit is the black suit. While it is a nice suit nonetheless, yet I still think that I should have got the navy one instead. Navy is the nice color for suit, especially if it is going to be your 1st one. Here is the one that looks great IMO base on your measurement (similar to mine)
    [​IMG]
    Lightning can make the difference in color for this suit
    [​IMG]

7. R D K

R D K Active Member

Why is everyone talking about suit colors all of a sudden? :S

8. n2da2nd

n2da2nd Member

I have not read all 6 pages of responding, only scanning through lol If you have made the decision already, please disregard my post.

9. R D K

R D K Active Member

Haha no problem, yes I have bought the suit already, and it is a darkblue navy color ;)

10. CousinDonuts

CousinDonuts Well-Known Member

RDK - there are some basic fit threads, something with 101 in the title, maybe even stickied to all pages. Between that, the WAYWRN thread, the Good Taste thread, and even the peacock thread, there are tons of pictures and commentary on fit, colors, lapels, collars, ties, etc. People will rip apart details that you never even thought of.

11. R D K

R D K Active Member

I see :p

Here are some more new pictures from the suit.

Front to show the new length of the pants.
    Also a funny story, I noticed there were still 2 pieces of plastic in the collar of the shirt, which probably caused the collar to look so tight before, I removed them and now it looks a bit better.

[​IMG]

Side view as requested (notice the shadow makes it look like the jacket sticks out more than it really does).

[​IMG]

And the back of the suit to show the length of the pants.

[​IMG]

12. mensimageconsultant

mensimageconsultant Well-Known Member

As expected, the suit jacket is too wide in the shoulders. Just because many stores don't carry odd sizes and suit measurements vary by brand/line doesn't mean someone can safely buy an even-sized jacket when measurements suggest an odd size. The irony in this case is that the oversized shoulders create at least as much of an unnatural effect as a boxy-by-design odd-sized Jos. Bank suit would have.

The suit above needs to go a high-quality tailor who can improve the shoulders. Also, something is wrong in the upper legs that he (or she) should be able to figure out.

13. CousinDonuts

CousinDonuts Well-Known Member

I'm not sure I agree that it is too wide in the shoulders, but I only run a tumblr blog, not a website.

1 person likes this.
  14. R D K

R D K Active Member

I'm still very happy with the suit, I've had many compliments on it, and now that it's tailored I love it.
    I don't think the shoulders are too wide, I read that to check if they are you should lean against the wall, and your own shoulders should touch the wall before the padding, which is the case with this suit.

I appreciate the advice though, because you probably know more about it than me and are trying to help, so thanks.

15. Veremund

I think the jacket is fine. You simply have wide shoulders. Nothing wrong with that.

16. mensimageconsultant

No, the shoulders are too wide. Perhaps only in the rear deltoids. Look at the dent in the side profile picture and all the extra fabric from the rear view. The actual build is v-shaped; with excess material in the shoulders, it starts to become cartoonish.

Edit: if it's just the rear deltoids, it's common for that area to be undeveloped, and special weight-lifting exercises would help. However, that probably wouldn't remove all need for more alterations.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2013
  17. R D K

R D K Active Member

Thanks
    Aren't you exaggerating a bit? I don't think I look cartoonish in the suit.
    And I train both my rear, side and front deltoids regularly, so I don't think that's the problem.

18. mensimageconsultant

From the back, it looks like an exaggerated upper torso. Maybe the posture is more erect than the suit was meant for and that's shifting extra fabric toward the back.

Also, now that you mention exercise, the trapezius muscles seem quite large. That might be contributing to the shirt collar problem. The left shoulder looks slightly higher than the right - and that's common and again exercise might affect it.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2013
  19. R D K

R D K Active Member

You have a good eye for those things, because what you say about my trapezius muscles is true, mine are very well developed (for some reason they develop easier than most other muscles).
    And the thing about my shoulder is true aswell, there is a slight difference in both my shoulders because I injured my right shoulder badly in karate lessons a few years back. I have tried correcting it with weight lifting but I think there will always be a slight difference because of the injury, so not much I can do about that.
    Anyhow, do you suggest narrowing the shoulders on the jacket? I've heard this is very expensive to do.

20. kulata

kulata Well-Known Member

The shoulder is fine. Enjoy your jacket and your broad shoulders.:D